Calypso-E34

Brake discs - how long should they last?

So had an appointment for a front pad change today, but had a bit of a judder - turned out the discs needed replaced. They were last done in January 2016, 32000 miles ago. 

Do we think this this is fair wear and tear?  I’d have expected to get 2 pad changes out of a set of discs. 

I got got to see the old discs, and right enough, they looked well past it. 

Edited by Calypso-E34

I sold my F11 with the front discs and pads having done 45000 with a decent amount of meat on the pads and discs still in good shape. The 530d does have bigger discs so maybe that contributed to their longevity, also the car was mainly used for long journeys

Pad change just around 45k (A roads mostly that are twisty), no need for new discs yet. I suspect around 80k something before it needs them.

4 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

Pad change just around 45k (A roads mostly that are twisty), no need for new discs yet. I suspect around 80k something before it needs them.

Thats what I was hoping to hear someone say!  It is possible that these discs were the originals!

The discs on my car are a fair size too. Maybe because it’s the 3.0 525d.
I disagree that it's to do with the size. I'd question the discs that were used. They should last a lot longer than that.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Also depends if the car is Manual or Automatic. The fact you had judder says to me warping. On an automatic there is a tendency for the driver to brake to a stop and sit with the foot brake on. This causes a big heat soak into one spot on the disc while the rest of the disc cools... end result, distortion. Probably tons of life left in the disc thickness but it has runout and you feel that as a judder. On my car it only started to happen after a spirited drive when the brakes got hot and bah-boom brake judder. It would last for a few days and then bizarrely fade away, or maybe a just got used to it. Slowly got worse and worse, so I replaced the discs this week with new ATE rotors and the problem is gone. Last discs were Mintex items and have only lasted 12K miles but a do a lot of short journeys so not your typical 5 series driver. Mine is a 1997 BMW 523i SE Auto and has 60K miles on the clock with a full main supplying dealer service history.... :)

Edited by Flying Scot