new2bmw

Challenge me on my F11 purchase – buy from BMW dealer or one of the large supermarkets ?

I am about to move house following a marriage break up and am using the chance to try life outside the M25 which will mean that I end up having to drive more – living in London zone 3 means that my current pride and joy 911 is mostly used on weekends for a bit of fun. 

I’ve therefore decided that a second car is needed that will mostly be used (1) daily to get me to and from the train station (2) at weekends to do stuff (3) regular weekend trips to see family up north and friends in France and Germany.  Having looked at a variety of options and read loads over the past few months, I reckon a 2015 or later F11 is the car for me – even though I have yet to drive one :D:lol::D.  My boss has run a mix of F10 / F11 / G10 so I’ve been in them as a passanger on a regular basis over a period of 7 plus years and am confident that I wont dislike the driving experience.

Looking at what options are important to me – heated seats, cruise control, auto box, navi, bluetooth – I am happy that an SE fits my needs and then are quite a few to choose from.  Nice to have options in order of preference but surprisingly hard to find include:  Harman Kardon; panoramic roof; folding mirrors.  I am leaning to the 520 rather than a 530 because (1) I have my 911 for rip-roaring power and (2) fuel economy and cheap tax are important to me to keep costs down.  Mind you, I hope I don't end up test driving a 530 as all that will no doubt quickly go out the window ...............

So -- I would really like advice from your goodselves on the following (feel free to chime in on anything by the way).  Do I:

1. Buy from a BMW dealer and benefit from the 12 month warranty meaning (the European breakdown cover is also a bonus for me as I have a few trips planned)
  2. Buy from a car supermarket – such as Big Motoring World – which only offer 3 month warranties

I am leaning towards buying from a dealer because:

• Less hassle for 12 months given the warranty – for example if there is an air suspension issue then I get to chuck it back to the dealer to sort it.  I'm well aware that it won't all be rosy with BMW, I have been shocked at some of the stories on here but surely it has to be better than the 3 month warranties that the car supermarkets offer
  • Some of the car supermarkets are selling F11s that have NOT had the EGR recall done -- personally, I don't think this is a fair practice

My 911 is looked after by a superb indy and my plan for the F11 would be the same.  Therefore during the first 12 months I would have them go over with a fine toothcomb to make sure that where possible I can get any issues dealt with under the warranty following which it will be servcied and maintained by said indy (I am likely to end up not a million miles away from BMR in Turners Hill who get really positive feedback on here).

All opinions very welcome, please throw stones at my ideas.

Edited by new2bmw

You can always buy a BMW warranty for a car if bought from a none BMW dealer - there is a link on the BMW website which provides a quote.

The initial options you mention were all std on a car from 2015 onwards - there are two nav set ups - business nav and optional professional nav which has a larger screen. 

If buying an SE make sure you are happy with the std seats - my SE has optional Comfort seats (16 way with memory) and personally would not consider a car with the std SE seats. Sports seats are good too imho. 

If buying a 520d make sure the engine is the B47 190hp engine and not the previous generation N47 184hp car. 

I'd be inclined to go for a BMW AUC car for the reasons you mentioned. The 3 BMWs I've had since 2011 have all been purchased this way. Post 2015 the 520 should have the B47 engine which so far is seemingly reliable. I wouldn't go for the SE LCI model as there were SE, Modern, Luxury and MSport. The SE doesn't have front foglights and just doesn't look great in my opinion. The luxury and MSport are both nice looking versions - See the LCI brochure here: http://www.bmwbrochures.co.uk/0114/BMW_5S_Touring_F11_LCI/files/inc/cb86a69279.pdf

My non-negotiables would be Exterior Folding mirrors,  Pro Nav upgrade (standard on the Luxury model), at least Business speakers which gives you 12 speakers along with an external amplifier, Reverse Camera a minimum with Surround View very nice.

Good luck seeking out the new car, that's half the fun. Remember to use the VIN decoder websites using the last 7 digits of the VIN to see the actual options fitted from factory for the car you're looking at - something like MDECODER.COM

Another vote for buying via BMW AUC. It's piece of mind for paying big (to me anyway) money for a car.

If you can, haggle for a two year warranty. Yesterday I got a letter from the dealer that sold me my F10 trying to entice me with a newer AUC model with a deal of two years AUC warranty if I took their finance.

The dealers want to sell you a finance package that's where they make their money, but can throw in extra incentives for you to take the finance, like a free service or free MOT, lower screen price etc etc.  But I believe you can take the finance and all the extras then cancel it in the cooling off period. 

Options are really subjective on here. 

For me it's the engine, then adaptive Xenons (as I live out in the sticks). I have split folding rear seats which I have used far more often than the need for nav. It's up to you want toys you want in it.

1 hour ago, E39mad said:

You can always buy a BMW warranty for a car if bought from a none BMW dealer - there is a link on the BMW website which provides a quote.

The initial options you mention were all std on a car from 2015 onwards - there are two nav set ups - business nav and optional professional nav which has a larger screen. 

If buying an SE make sure you are happy with the std seats - my SE has optional Comfort seats (16 way with memory) and personally would not consider a car with the std SE seats. Sports seats are good too imho. 

If buying a 520d make sure the engine is the B47 190hp engine and not the previous generation N47 184hp car. 

Thanks for the advice @E39mad -- I'll be sure to only focus on the B47 engines, I don't want the hassle of the N47 engines and timing chain glitches.

Understood re comfort seats -- they are challenging to find, I suppose that I need to get in a car and test drive it to see what the standard seats are like.

50 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I'd be inclined to go for a BMW AUC car for the reasons you mentioned. The 3 BMWs I've had since 2011 have all been purchased this way. Post 2015 the 520 should have the B47 engine which so far is seemingly reliable. I wouldn't go for the SE LCI model as there were SE, Modern, Luxury and MSport. The SE doesn't have front foglights and just doesn't look great in my opinion. The luxury and MSport are both nice looking versions - See the LCI brochure here: http://www.bmwbrochures.co.uk/0114/BMW_5S_Touring_F11_LCI/files/inc/cb86a69279.pdf

My non-negotiables would be Exterior Folding mirrors,  Pro Nav upgrade (standard on the Luxury model), at least Business speakers which gives you 12 speakers along with an external amplifier, Reverse Camera a minimum with Surround View very nice.

Good luck seeking out the new car, that's half the fun. Remember to use the VIN decoder websites using the last 7 digits of the VIN to see the actual options fitted from factory for the car you're looking at - something like MDECODER.COM

The MDECODER website is a brilliant tool :cool::cool:

I have looked at a few of the Luxury models, the alloys are almost exactly the same as those that I have on my current car and the upgraded navi was -- whilst not essential for me -- nice to have with the wider screen.

Interesting that you mention about the sound systems -- my first Porsche had the basic sound system, it was the one thing that let the car down.  The 911 has their BOSE system which is just terrific for my needs, surprisingly amazing sound even when you have the top down at motorway speeds :cool:  Therefore I perhaps need to seriously consider adding Business speakers or Harmon Kardon to my "must have" list.

At this rate, my budget will be going up !!

Keep the advice coming folks, it is all very much appreciated.

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Another vote for buying via BMW AUC. It's piece of mind for paying big (to me anyway) money for a car.

If you can, haggle for a two year warranty. Yesterday I got a letter from the dealer that sold me my F10 trying to entice me with a newer AUC model with a deal of two years AUC warranty if I took their finance.

The dealers want to sell you a finance package that's where they make their money, but can throw in extra incentives for you to take the finance, like a free service or free MOT, lower screen price etc etc.  But I believe you can take the finance and all the extras then cancel it in the cooling off period. 

Options are really subjective on here. 

For me it's the engine, then adaptive Xenons (as I live out in the sticks). I have split folding rear seats which I have used far more often than the need for nav. It's up to you want toys you want in it.

You learn a new thing everyday @535i Andrew -- I had NOT appreciated that they did not come with split folding rear seats, that seems like the biggest oversight from BMW !?!?

Interesting point that you mention on the finance -- I was planning to pay cash for the car but as you say if I can cancel within a cooling off period and get some stuff thrown in then all the better.

The dilemmas stack up ...............

Have just spotted that there are now 2017 G31s in the BMW network for a shade under £22k ...............

one of them is a an M sport with loads of goodies including Harmon Kardon and surround view.

Oh balls ........... my man maths has gone into hyper drive  ....... :shock:

Edited by new2bmw

29 minutes ago, new2bmw said:

Perhaps a stupid question.

If I buy a G31 on say an 18 plate from a car supermarket, it will still be covered by the original 3 year manufacturer warranty ?

Yes.

2 hours ago, new2bmw said:

You learn a new thing everyday @535i Andrew -- I had NOT appreciated that they did not come with split folding rear seats, that seems like the biggest oversight from BMW !?!?

Andrew is talking about his F10 - all F11's have a 40/20/40 folding rear seats as std

Edited by E39mad

2 hours ago, new2bmw said:

Have just spotted that there are now 2017 G31s in the BMW network for a shade under £22k ...............

one of them is a an M sport with loads of goodies including Harmon Kardon and surround view.

Thats quite cheap for a two year old car, is it mega miles? They would have been almost twice that new. Normally they are at give or take 50% of the new list price at three years old.

I was very surprised as well.

Mileage varies on what I am seeing on the BMW AUC website.   For example, at the moment, the various Williams sites around the north west have 8 520d xdrive SEs all under £24k and of which 2 are under £22k (with 45 to 50k miles on them).  My mileage is likely to be about 20 miles a day so I am not bothered about a 2 year old that has 50k on it -- a long as it has been serviced to required standards.  There are also a few petrol models which potentially make more sense for me given that I won't be doing massive amounts of miles.

Interesting decision to be made ............... involving lots more research and test drives :cool:

Edited by new2bmw

Indeed I have @Duncan Johnson

I was surprised when looking at the tech specs of 520i vs 520d that

• 520i is slower than the 520d;
  • 520i emits more CO2 than the 520d
  • the fuel economy seems noticeably worse

Interesting debate that I need to have with myself.

1 hour ago, new2bmw said:

I was surprised when looking at the tech specs of 520i vs 520d that

• 520i is slower than the 520d;
  • 520i emits more CO2 than the 520d
  • the fuel economy seems noticeably worse

Why were you surprised? Diesels are recognised for low end grunt and getting off their mark. Like for like normally have an economy advantage. More fuel hence more CO2. Sounds pretty normal.

6 hours ago, new2bmw said:

Interesting point that you mention on the finance -- I was planning to pay cash for the car but as you say if I can cancel within a cooling off period and get some stuff thrown in then all the better.

@535i Andrew is referring to the F10. All F11s come with the 40:20:40 split rear seats.

I would consider cars outside the franchise. I'd been looking for a 6 pot petrol F11 for nearly a year before finding what I was after at a non franchised dealer in Derbyshire. 

I checked the car out thoroughly with BMW UK and was really comfortable with the dealer so went ahead and bought it.

We went halves on a 12 month warrantywise policy and I've been really happy with the car. 

Not too sure about car supermarkets as I'd be wary of ex rental cars and the like, but I've not used them so it would be unfair for me to judge. 

I had a G30 520d for a weekend and was quite impressed by it. The main improvement over the F series for me was the steering feel and accuracy. Less impressed with the plaaticky Ford like buttons on the dash... 

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the right car. 

I purchased a 2 and a half year old F10 520d Msport 29,000 miles with lots of extras from an indepent dealer last September. £17,990 bargain. It had loads of extras even heated rear seats. I do about 30,000 miles a year so by January it needed a service. Imagine my delight when I picked it up from Stratsone BMW Chesterfield and they said no charge! The previous owner had taken out a service plan and I inherited it. :)  Check that out!

When the warranty ran out I took out the full warranty cover and a new 2 year service plan. Total peace of mind. 

On 8/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, Boba said:

Why were you surprised? Diesels are recognised for low end grunt and getting off their mark. Like for like normally have an economy advantage. More fuel hence more CO2. Sounds pretty normal.

I was under the impression that many car companies had been improving their petrol engines, for example the prevalence of 1 litre turbos now in some Fords, and had thought the numbers would be closer to the diesel than they actually are.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, Caesar said:

I would consider cars outside the franchise. I'd been looking for a 6 pot petrol F11 for nearly a year before finding what I was after at a non franchised dealer in Derbyshire. 

I checked the car out thoroughly with BMW UK and was really comfortable with the dealer so went ahead and bought it.

We went halves on a 12 month warrantywise policy and I've been really happy with the car. 

Not too sure about car supermarkets as I'd be wary of ex rental cars and the like, but I've not used them so it would be unfair for me to judge. 

I had a G30 520d for a weekend and was quite impressed by it. The main improvement over the F series for me was the steering feel and accuracy. Less impressed with the plaaticky Ford like buttons on the dash... 

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the right car. 

This is very good to know @Caesar, thank you. 

Having reflected over the weekend, even I couldn't justify the man maths after I had stopped drinking.  So I am back to being sensible and will be looking for the following:

• F11 with a B47 engine
  • Either comfort or sport seats (now started looking at M models to get the latter)
  • Harmon Kardon sound system
  • From within the BMW AUC network

I will also keep an eye on what's available and arrange a test drive at some point in the next two weeks -- I am looking to actually buy in early to mid October, so I still have some time, am just a wee bit mental when it comes to researching these kinds of things :D

Edited by new2bmw

Worth knowing that Sytner own carshop.

I looked at an "AUC" car in sytner and it was a dog. I looked at a car in carshop and it was a gem, but I missed out on it. iMO AUC is worth slightly more than carshop but there are definitely edge cases where carshop (et al) are better value and a safer bet. Not all cars advertised on AUC are actually AUC!