Daveh65

Consequences of a melted EGR cooler

Re previous posts about drivetrain errors I finally broke down and needed recovering home , mobile mechanic came out this Monday morning and found the cause of the breakdown straight away , the EGR Valve hadn’t been bolted down when it was recalled to sytner bmw, bmw recovery agreed to get the car back to the dealer and upon inspection told me the valve had been removed to put the new cooler on, when refitting the valve hadn’t been seated properly, one bolt missing and one hanging out , the heat from the exhaust gas had melted the egr cooler, and some pipe work, obviously bmw replaced the valve and cooler and anything else that was damaged, car runs better than ever now, dealer was very apologetic and even said they would reimburse monies trying to cure the fault over the previous 10 days, how badly could this have gone?? Fire risk?  The previous recall was a leaky cooler so guessing this must have been pretty serious ? Any opinions please before I contact bmw re goodwill gestures 

I'd say what you had was worse than the leaky egr cooler, shoddy workmanship, lord knows what would have happened had that last bolt worked itself loose at speed and got into the running gear

Glad to hear your okay

I would take shitner to the cleaners

Your car could've caught fire, or your engine could've suddenly cut out whilst you were driving on a motorway. How's that for starters? I'd make a massive complaint over that one.

I agree with you on your car running better then ever. Since my EGR cooler was replaced my engine sounds so much smoother.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Glad you didn't end up in a fireball.

A word of caution as I speak from experience.

Writing to BMW GB is to be recommended and that usually results in the dealer in question getting a bollocking from BMW GB and will galvanise them into doing something sharpish. Make sure you cc the Dealer Principal at the Dealer in question on the letter to BMW GB. That way they now you mean business.

BMW GB will politely inform your that your beef is not with them but the Dealer because the dealer in your case is a Franchise holder. They  just so happen to sell and service BMWs. But they don't like it when a customer has to tell them about horror stories. It was only after I had contacted BMW GB that the dealer in question with me extracted their digit and started to help me. 

They might offer you a free service (they did in my case but I told them I wouldn't let look after a push bike let alone a BMW) but I suspect you don't want to do that as all trust has been lost.

Good luck.

Scary stuff.

I don't understand why some cars are being advertised for sale without the EGR recall having been completed -- it seems like a very unfair practice.

Edited by new2bmw

If you're a dealer would you rather have stock getting older daily that you can't sell because it's waiting in the backlog for parts for the EGR recall, or.... would you rather sell what you have, quick and let BMW/DVSA inform the new owner there is a recall on their nice, new (to them) beemer?

Not good practice, but pretty average business practice as long as it remains legal to behave like that.

3 hours ago, new2bmw said:

Scary stuff.

I don't understand why some cars are being advertised for sale without the EGR recall having been completed -- it seems like a very unfair practice.

Sales and service don't like each other.

They are both targeted separately, hence why sales wont give a toss about a service issue getting in the way.

Additionally at the moment with so many sales departments struggling a number of service side elements of dealers are being pushed to make the difference for sales failures.

Sytners in Solihull, can’t fault the actual service from the staff though , but someone’s getting a proper ass kicking hopefully the mechanic!

Sytners in Solihull, can’t fault the actual service from the staff though , but someone’s getting a proper ass kicking hopefully the mechanic!
This might sound a little OCD, but it's exactly why whenever I get my car back from any garage I pop the hood and check it over. I even check that the oil dipstick is all the way in. You gotta be careful.

2 hours ago, Spreadly said:

This might sound a little OCD, but it's exactly why whenever I get my car back from any garage I pop the hood and check it over. I even check that the oil dipstick is all the way in. You gotta be careful.

I do too, after an E39 service at Harry Fairbairn, Kirkcaldy I found the dipstick lying across the back of the engine. They’d collected and redelivered it about 30 miles too so a fine film of oil all round. :?

Edited by Boba