ajhalli

iDrive keeps rebooting every 20-30 seconds!!

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me with the problem I currently having, that my iDrive in my F11 2014 plate is constantly rebooting after every

20-30 seconds.

It has just started to happen today and I drove for over 3 hours and it continuing happened the entire time and it is now really annoying and not sure what I should do next.

I have attach a video which demonstrates what it is doing. Any suggestions or next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

8 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

This happened to mine and I was told by the dealer a new head unit was required at ~£1500.  Apparently since then, there is a software fix, but no idea how to access it.

If a software fix then BMW or a suitably equipped Indi as the car will need to be reprogrammed. This isn’t a DIY job. 

Did you recently update your maps? I had this issue after updating maps to 2019_2 and worked my back through 2019_1, 2018 1& 2, to 2017_2 and it's been fine since. I know mine needs the firmware update because it's on A but haven't got round to it.

Also figured out I could trigger it by stopping mid route and then resuming a trip - this would throw it into the boot loop.

As above a firmware upgrade is needed on the headunit. I have had a few of these where it sometimes happens randomly and other times when the maps have been updated to the latest version. E-sys and full PSDZdata is needed to flash it correctly.

Does anyone know the actual reason this happens?  A firmware update is probably either a) masking the underlying problem or b) fixing an existing but latent bug in the prior firmware. Be interested to know.

53 minutes ago, m3nt4l said:

As above a firmware upgrade is needed on the headunit. I have had a few of these where it sometimes happens randomly and other times when the maps have been updated to the latest version. E-sys and full PSDZdata is needed to flash it correctly.

Ah are you saying a map update causes the issue which then needs a FW update to fix? That would make some sense . I haven't bothered updating my maps and haven't had any issues either.

Edited by bmwmike

58 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Ah are you saying a map update causes the issue which then needs a FW update to fix? That would make some sense . I haven't bothered updating my maps and haven't had any issues either.

Definitely seems to be the problem with mine. No problems with anything 2017_2 or earlier. As soon as I go later than that I get boot loops. I'm guessing it's some sort of memory management issue because if I'm in an area with not much going on - RTTI and actual roads, it seems fine. Go somewhere busier and 9/10 times I can get it to crash.

Yes the map update can cause issues on older idrive systems. Had one yesterday with 2014 3 Series which had 2014 maps, updated to 2019-2 and there was the reboot issue. Flash of the headunit to the latest version recrified the issue.