danielpm

Stereo head unit recommendation - E39

Hi everyone. So, the OEM navigation system (big screen) on BMW is old, and I would like to retire my mobile car holder. I'm looking for a head unit that can do two things:

- fit well and dont break the OEM look;

- can use apple carplay / android auto

I've saw models from Sony, Alpine, etc, but the only fascia that I like (Dennis fascia) is too expensive unfortunately. So I started to look to the chinese android head units made specifically for the E39. Being an android head unit, I suppose that I can use Apple Carplay / Android Auto with the adaptors right?

The head unit that I liked the most was the Eonon GA9201B . Can someone that owns one give me a quick review? Also, some questions:

- Would you recommend another unit?

- Since I control the cluster panel in my OEM head unit, what do I need to buy to do it on the Eonon? It's the iBus?

- My car don't have DSP. Do I need to buy extra acessories or is plug and play?

- How can I read the car errors on the Eonon? What do I have to buy.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you :)

Moved to the Audio section @danielpm :)

For your info; I've just fitted a Grom Audio BT3 connection set to my 530i touring that has the widescreen Nav head unit and it works brilliantly.

I looked into replacing the whole lot, going with a nice touch screen head unit but TBH; the silly costs and faffing with wiring from the front to the rear put me off and for me, I'm just not in the car that much to warrant spending c£500, if not more. More so I don't want audiophile level sound in my car, IMO it's not possible, more so when you've got audiophile level stereo at home, if that makes sense?!

What I did want was hands-free Bluetooth calling and Bluetooth music streaming, for c£120, the Grom Audio unit does all that and it was literally plug n play (and feeding the hands-free mic into the cabin, which again in a touring is very easy). I use my Note 9 for sat-nav and prefer it at eye-height, so in a good holder attached to the screen; saves having to constantly look down at the head unit to see the map etc

Unless you want all the Nav mod-cons etc; that's a good alternative IMO

31 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Moved to the Audio section @danielpm :)

For your info; I've just fitted a Grom Audio BT3 connection set to my 530i touring that has the widescreen Nav head unit and it works brilliantly.

I looked into replacing the whole lot, going with a nice touch screen head unit but TBH; the silly costs and faffing with wiring from the front to the rear put me off and for me, I'm just not in the car that much to warrant spending c£500, if not more. More so I don't want audiophile level sound in my car, IMO it's not possible, more so when you've got audiophile level stereo at home, if that makes sense?!

What I did want was hands-free Bluetooth calling and Bluetooth music streaming, for c£120, the Grom Audio unit does all that and it was literally plug n play (and feeding the hands-free mic into the cabin, which again in a touring is very easy). I use my Note 9 for sat-nav and prefer it at eye-height, so in a good holder attached to the screen; saves having to constantly look down at the head unit to see the map etc

Unless you want all the Nav mod-cons etc; that's a good alternative IMO

Hi Dan! Thank you for the opinion. I thought about that at first, but I really want to be able to use the Carplay functionality. Also, my OEM screen have white lines (which dont look so good) and the radio is working really bad. Since a chinese unit is not a huge amount of money, it seems like a good alternative.

You talked about wiring and stuff. Isn't this Eonon (for example) plug and play if you dont have DSP?

I replaced the standard cd/tuner/mid in my 2002 530i last year. I’m fairly handy around the car so it wasn’t much of a faff imo. I bought a cheapish  Chinese android unit which is ok but wish I’d spent either a bit more on an Eonon version or spent less and got a non android unit. One key advantage of keeping the OEM unit is the anti glare screen. 

In answer to to your specific questions:

No DSP = Not an issue in fact very few aftermarket units work with DSP 

Car Errors = you will need to buy a Bluetooth ELM327 ODB connector that Eonon supports and an ODB app on the head unit. The link you used shows the extra part you need to buy for it. 

Control Cluster Panel  = not sure I understand. Are you referring to the High MID on-board computer? If so then you will lose the option to select via the head unit but it should still operate via the BC button on the indicator stalk. 

1 hour ago, danielpm said:

Hi Dan! Thank you for the opinion. I thought about that at first, but I really want to be able to use the Carplay functionality. Also, my OEM screen have white lines (which dont look so good) and the radio is working really bad. Since a chinese unit is not a huge amount of money, it seems like a good alternative.

You talked about wiring and stuff. Isn't this Eonon (for example) plug and play if you dont have DSP?

Do you have the amp in the boot on your car (would have thought so if you've got the widescreen sat nav head unit)? If that's the case, you've to feed the wiring from the head unit to the BM53/54 amp that's in the boot. Both Xtrons and Eonon do the necessary wiring loom that's needed to do this etc

However; they don't support CarPlay; you'd have to get a specific head unit to do that (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer etc)

Personally; I've read too many horror stories re the Chinese head units (crap sound, not very good functionality, no support if they go wrong etc); I wouldn't touch them 

Hi Danielpm,

From what you mention in your initial query, keep in mind that none of the Chinese units run genuine Apple Carplay or Android Auto. The adaptors you see 'promise' it's Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, but it isn't, it's screen mirroring functionality for CarPlay and for Android Auto, it's the 'Android Auto App' that's used (that app installs/runs on the Android Operating system. The chinese head unit adverts you see are convincing in many respects, but it's all just marketing blurb. 

Moving on, are you wanting a reliable solution? if so, then you run the higher risk as already mentioned, of issues/problems/niggles if you run/install a chinese unit. There are a relative few Chinese unit owners who report they've had no issues and all is working well and good with their unit 6-12 and 1/2 years later. For what you mention you'd want, then lately those who want the same have been using the Xtrons unit. Looking on ebay, then the Eonon comes in at around £290 and the Xtrons £330. You'd need the Resler Interface at around £35 or so (delivered from Germany) and the iBus App which varies from around £20 to 40 or so. You need both if you want to have the OBC functionality. Sounds as though you have the oem 16:9 monitor/GPS/audio setup, so you'd need the 5M extension cable which is around £40/50 so that the connections from the back of the car to the front dash area can be extended. I'm not sure which OBD reader and software you'd need, so once you research that, you can add the cost of that to your project (I'll estimate £40). So far you are looking at around £480 or so, perhaps £500 once you add a better DAB antenna. 

In addition to reliability, are you wanting an increase in sound quality and performance? if so, the chinese units will likely disappoint. If you aren't overly bothered about that, then continue with your evaluations for a chinese unit. Contrary to popular forum belief, you don't have to be an audiophile to like/enjoy great/excellent audio performance in a car! but if you do enjoy your music, then a modest car audio upgrade can provide sound quality and performance that's an absolute joy to listen to. 

I note you mention the fascia solution I created and the price point doesn't agree with you. That's fair comment of course and I note it for myself :)

You're at bit of a crossroads. You can have the OBC functionality, a OEM look and potential to run a diagnostic app which you'd like, but you'd have to run a low quality, prone to issues/problems/niggles head unit, or you can run a high quality, reliable and excellent performing head unit from an established brand and in conjunction with the NXG-39 for a similar price level but not have the OBC functionality.

If you have any more questions  about going the premium brand and high quality products route, I'll be happy to help as best I can as I'm sure other's on the forum will too :)

Cheers, Dennis!

15 hours ago, Mashmanu said:

Control Cluster Panel  = not sure I understand. Are you referring to the High MID on-board computer? If so then you will lose the option to select via the head unit but it should still operate via the BC button on the indicator stalk. 

Yes, that one. But how can I reset the consumption and etc? The only way to do it isn't from the OEM unit?

14 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

However; they don't support CarPlay; you'd have to get a specific head unit to do that (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer etc)

They can, supposedly. You need to buy an adapter that will enable it. At least from what i've seen on youtube and on the internet.

9 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Moving on, are you wanting a reliable solution? if so, then you run the higher risk as already mentioned, of issues/problems/niggles if you run/install a chinese unit. There are a relative few Chinese unit owners who report they've had no issues and all is working well and good with their unit 6-12 and 1/2 years later. For what you mention you'd want, then lately those who want the same have been using the Xtrons unit. Looking on ebay, then the Eonon comes in at around £290 and the Xtrons £330. You'd need the Resler Interface at around £35 or so (delivered from Germany) and the iBus App which varies from around £20 to 40 or so. You need both if you want to have the OBC functionality. Sounds as though you have the oem 16:9 monitor/GPS/audio setup, so you'd need the 5M extension cable which is around £40/50 so that the connections from the back of the car to the front dash area can be extended. I'm not sure which OBD reader and software you'd need, so once you research that, you can add the cost of that to your project (I'll estimate £40). So far you are looking at around £480 or so, perhaps £500 once you add a better DAB antenna. 

In addition to reliability, are you wanting an increase in sound quality and performance? if so, the chinese units will likely disappoint. If you aren't overly bothered about that, then continue with your evaluations for a chinese unit. Contrary to popular forum belief, you don't have to be an audiophile to like/enjoy great/excellent audio performance in a car! but if you do enjoy your music, then a modest car audio upgrade can provide sound quality and performance that's an absolute joy to listen to. 

I note you mention the fascia solution I created and the price point doesn't agree with you. That's fair comment of course and I note it for myself :)

You're at bit of a crossroads. You can have the OBC functionality, a OEM look and potential to run a diagnostic app which you'd like, but you'd have to run a low quality, prone to issues/problems/niggles head unit, or you can run a high quality, reliable and excellent performing head unit from an established brand and in conjunction with the NXG-39 for a similar price level but not have the OBC functionality.

If you have any more questions  about going the premium brand and high quality products route, I'll be happy to help as best I can as I'm sure other's on the forum will too :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Since I don't have DSP, that extension to the boot is not unacessary?

Thank you all ! :)

Edited by danielpm

23 minutes ago, danielpm said:

Yes, that one. But how can I reset the consumption and etc? The only way to do it isn't from the OEM unit?

They can, supposedly. You need to buy an adapter that will enable it. At least from what i've seen on youtube and on the internet.

Since I don't have DSP, that extension to the boot is not unacessary?

Thank you all ! :)

If you have the 16:9 head unit; you'll more than likely have the BM35 or 54 amp in the boot as well as the sat nav DVD unit; this means that you need to run an extension from the front of the car to the boot; there's no getting around it, unless you decide to rip it all out and use your own amps and wire in the rear speakers etc

9 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

If you have the 16:9 head unit; you'll more than likely have the BM35 or 54 amp in the boot as well as the sat nav DVD unit; this means that you need to run an extension from the front of the car to the boot; there's no getting around it, unless you decide to rip it all out and use your own amps and wire in the rear speakers etc

The amp isn't something visible? I only have the CD box on the left side, nothing more. Even on the right side theres nothing. Can it be under the boot?

31 minutes ago, danielpm said:

The amp isn't something visible? I only have the CD box on the left side, nothing more. Even on the right side theres nothing. Can it be under the boot?

Yes; it'll be tucked away somewhere; best to lift the boot base out and see if you've plastic covers covering it?

Is your car a saloon or touring?

15 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes; it'll be tucked away somewhere; best to lift the boot base out and see if you've plastic covers covering it?

Is your car a saloon or touring?

Touring :)

26 minutes ago, danielpm said:

Touring :)

In the spare wheel well; you'll see a black plastic cover to the LHS; an amp will be under there; or check the rear cover in the boot space, once you've removed the boot floor.

Are you sure there isn't an amp that's in the cubby where the CD/nav DVD reader unit is?

6 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

In the spare wheel well; you'll see a black plastic cover to the LHS; an amp will be under there; or check the rear cover in the boot space, once you've removed the boot floor.

Are you sure there isn't an amp that's in the cubby where the CD/nav DVD reader unit is?

Yes, pretty sure. But in case that theres one, how do I pass the 5M cable? From where to where?

Also, with a Sony XAV-AX3005DB, for example, do I need to do it too?

16 minutes ago, danielpm said:

Yes, pretty sure. But in case that theres one, how do I pass the 5M cable? From where to where?

Also, with a Sony XAV-AX3005DB, for example, do I need to do it too?

With a head unit like that; I've no idea

With the Xtrons/Eonon units; you'd need to feed it along the sills inside I'd say to the boot compartment. You'll have split folding rear seats with it being a touring, so feeding wiring isn't too hard; it's just getting everything up and loose to fit the wiring under that's fiddly

I'm not an in car audio guru; so I'm sure more relevant answers will be along soon enough :) 

Hi again everyone!

So, after a lot of reading, I decided that I will go with a premium brand 2 din unit and a Metra fascia. I'm looking for the Sony XAV-AX3005DB, because of the price and I liked of what I saw on reviews. Only one USB port so I will not be able to use the iBus but I doubt that I will use it that much anyway. And this is where I need your help: What do I need to buy apart from the radio? I also want to be able to control it with the steering wheel controls.

Thank you! :)

Hi,

I installed an Eonon unit about 2 months ago. It was £350 with the extension wiring and OBD2 adaptor. The wiring takes awhile but the connections are really simple. So far I am really pleased with the set up. The sound quality is much better than the original and it works with the CAN BUS so the steering wheel controls function, I have ordered the reversing camera but not fitted it yet. It is basically like having an android tablet in the dashboard. I ended up getting a pay as go 4g dongle for the data side of things as tethering to my phone was draining the phone battery quickly. Only time will tell how reliable it is but at the moment having Spotify, Google Maps and bluetooth handsfree phone control is a major bonus for me. If you need any more details let me know.

Cheers.

You'll need a bracket for that fascia to sit in, you can either modify the BMW bracket or the connects2 wood fascia kit bracket will work. My car is getting the Sony headunit fitted and I'm hoping to get my car back tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get the car back

17 minutes ago, Houds said:

You'll need a bracket for that fascia to sit in, you can either modify the BMW bracket or the connects2 wood fascia kit bracket will work. My car is getting the Sony headunit fitted and I'm hoping to get my car back tomorrow. I'll post some pics when I get the car back

Which connector do you had to buy for connect to the car and make the steering wheel controls work? Thats the part that I still cant find :/

On 8/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, danielpm said:

Which connector do you had to buy for connect to the car and make the steering wheel controls work? Thats the part that I still cant find :/

Spoke to the guy that's fitting my stereo and he bought an Autoleads Vehicle Interface - BMW 5 Series (E39) and an Autoleads Sony Stereo Patch Lead - PC99-SON from Caraudiosecurity

11 minutes ago, Houds said:

Spoke to the guy that's fitting my stereo and he bought an Autoleads Vehicle Interface - BMW 5 Series (E39) and an Autoleads Sony Stereo Patch Lead - PC99-SON from Caraudiosecurity

Thank you! Much appreciated Houds :) . That's all he will use for the instalation?

16 minutes ago, danielpm said:

Thank you! Much appreciated Houds :) . That's all he will use for the instalation?

As far as I know, I've went the whole hog and changed the amps and the speakers but if you've got any questions I'm sure he could help or might be worth phoning caraudiosecurity and checking with them