Kuli

Relays missing car not starting

Got an e34, however not starting need to know if relays are missing? 

Pictures below, car isn’t starting when check relays they are empty, however this is my old car I sold around 5 years ago, the person I sold it to done nothing with it, when asked if he touch the relays he has said no, when I sold him the car 5 years ago it was running. 

Can anyone help.? Ideally I need someone who has an 525i sport that can send me pictures of there fuse box and relays? 

Thanks all

0864D264-DE52-47A0-B5F7-38875D0B36EA.jpeg

7F89BEE3-023E-469E-89DC-1398775C6426.jpeg

Your starter for ten. The bottom pic is of the additional relay box on the inner left wing.  Your high and low relays for the aux fan (you DO have aircon?) are missing. I don't think you are missing any relays in the top pic. Check out pages P170-4 aand P610-1 in Bentleys.

Incidentally, it might be useful to know if it is cranking and not starting. And if you have spark, fuel and compression. It could well be that your lack of start has nothing at all to do with relays

OK, so it has no AC. If it doesn't have an aux fan in front of the radiator either, then those two relay slots look like they are wired but are probably not doing anything.

It is good news that it cranks as it rules out a lot of possible problems. If you have fuel but no spark, the plugs will stink of fuel

When we pulled out the spark plug, there was no fuel in them, when test the plug we wasn’t getting a spark?

do you think the ecu can be dead? 

It is possible but rule everything else out first. You will not get fuel or spark if the crankshaft position sensor is not giving the ECU a signal. You are looking for 540 ohms +/- 10 ohms between pins 1+2 of the plug. If it is correct, it doesn't guarantee that it is working but if it is not correct, it would be best to swap it.

Early E34s will allow you to crank the car but will not start if drive away protection is enabled. IIRC, later ones don't even let it crank. What year is your car? Maybe add that to your sig with the car details

57 minutes ago, Kuli said:

It’s a M reg. the mechanic put his diagnostic computer on yesterday. It’s not letting him read the engine? 

It is always best to know when the car was actually built. Maybe try an online BMW vin decoder? Realoem.com will at least give you the month/year it was built. None of that guarantees which security system you have though. I am just a little concerned that the immobiliser may be on. Did you check the CPS? 

If your mechanic is using OBD, it will not work. The E34 uses a system called ADS.  

On 8/16/2019 at 6:27 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I've got one, 35 quid.

Hi,

thanks bud. The mechanic has said it’s not the ecu. 

Thanks for getting back, if I do I’ll come to you.