Grizzwald

Stand by your beds

Good day to you all on the forum. Grizzwald has arrived. I am BMW- less atm but am itching to get another one soon. Had an silver 528(aspirated) E12 about 33 years ago and fell in love with Beemers then. I had a Z4 a few years back but now I'm after a 4 seater.  Got my eye on a 2002 535i with 93k.  Anything to look out for if I take it for a test drive? Thanks Guys.

41 minutes ago, Grizzwald said:

Good day to you all on the forum. Grizzwald has arrived. I am BMW- less atm but am itching to get another one soon. Had an silver 528(aspirated) E12 about 33 years ago and fell in love with Beemers then. I had a Z4 a few years back but now I'm after a 4 seater.  Got my eye on a 2002 535i with 93k.  Anything to look out for if I take it for a test drive? Thanks Guys.

Welcome to the forums?

Do we call you Grizzwald or Clark? ;):lol: 

There's quite a lot of info re buying E39s in the E39 tech section further down the home page

For me; my thoughts always go to the following:

• It MUST have service history (lotas of receipts showing work and maintenance; you can soon check the MOTs online, but receipts show car and attention)
  • The cooling system is an achilles heel; so this needs to have been serviced. If not, budget c£500 for all parts and labour (unless you're a spanner monkey yourself) and change the stat, water pump, top/bottom hoses and coolant flush/refill at a minimum. The rads are ok; but they can go, so if it's old, change that out to along with the header tank (Behr is OEM, Nissens is a very good replacements also).
  • Check air con works; if not may just be a simple regas, bad luck will mean there's a leak and it's probably the fan or condenser
  • Check for rust, everywhere (rear valance, boot lid, rear arches, sills, jacking points, front wings, rear door shuts etc)
  • Make sure all the electrics work, the dipping rear view mirror works (if it has one) etc
  • Get the last 7 digits of the VIN and use one of the on;ie decode tools to get the full spec of the car as it came from factory

Are you dead set on a 535i, what about 540i and 530i E39s?

And, what's your budget?

Well I'm, Griz,Grizzly Grizelda etc. 

Thanks for the tips and about the tech section. I'm not surprised to hear about the cooling system as I thought the same on the E85 Z4. It's how BMW make their money, designing components in a hot water system out of Plastic.

I did have my eye on a convertible 3 or 6 series but really need to budget as I need to spend money on the house at the moment. So a cheap 535 will do me for now around 2k. Never really thought about the 540 to be fair. I'm still in my first year of insurance as I don't always have a car so the insurance goes back to 0 after 2 years.