Daveh65

Broken down , error codes

Hi, have had drivetrain errors for 10 days took to the garage , but no codes left, again checked 2 days ago, no codes, yesterday going to work car was running a bit underpowered , like an egr fault, put an obd on it and the code was P115C, air flow sensor?, dr google suggested unplugging the sensor as it wound run better temporarily to get home, it didn’t , car got about 3 miles before stopping , errors codes this time were P0113, P0101 and P14A1 I think they are all related to the MAF, with the sensor plugged back in it still won’t run, guessing a new sensor? Not sure if cleaning would help, ?

1 hour ago, Daveh65 said:

Hi, have had drivetrain errors for 10 days took to the garage , but no codes left, again checked 2 days ago, no codes, yesterday going to work car was running a bit underpowered , like an egr fault, put an obd on it and the code was P115C, air flow sensor?, dr google suggested unplugging the sensor as it wound run better temporarily to get home, it didn’t , car got about 3 miles before stopping , errors codes this time were P0113, P0101 and P14A1 I think they are all related to the MAF, with the sensor plugged back in it still won’t run, guessing a new sensor? Not sure if cleaning would help, ?

Hi Dave. Diagnosing codes can be such a mine field. I know I go on but ISTA is the best way to diagnose the cars as it will identify a code and then, depending on the component, allow you to initiate some specific tests, and all this in plain English. The generic code readers will offer up the standard OBDII codes but with little other information. 

You can always try cleaning the MAF, just be careful as the inards are quite sensitive. 

Thanks Matt, didn’t realise that the sensor has another function too and the codes that came up seem to relate to the sensor, I’ve got some cleaner and will give it a clean first , can’t reset the engine check light so have a guy coming round first thing to confirm and turn the light off, hoping that’s all it is , it’s spoiling my BMW driving experience!! 

2 hours ago, Daveh65 said:What else do I need to use ista? Just looking at the options to download etc, guessing I need a cable ??

Hi Dave, I can help with a trusted download location and you’ll need to source an ENET cable which is an Ethernet to OBD cable for specific use with “F” and beyond BMWs. 

You may receive software with the cable but don’t use it. I’ll provide the links. 

5 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Hi Dave, I can help with a trusted download location and you’ll need to source an ENET cable which is an Ethernet to OBD cable for specific use with “F” and beyond BMWs. 

You may receive software with the cable but don’t use it. I’ll provide the links. 

Hi

I have the cable already but I'm confused about the download.

Can you please help me as well?

Update on the error codes, had a mobile mechanic call out this morning, tried to start the car and engine bay was filling with exhaust fumes , turns out syntner bmw of Solihull had the car in for the egr recall and hadn’t bolted the valve to the car properly, one bolt missing one hanging loose, rang them up, they’ll hopefully pick it up today and look at it tomorrow!! But I have to pay for the hire car if I need one ! How is that fair ??

Had to ring them about 3pm as no recovery , seems it was booked in wrong , they were expecting me to drop it off, told them it’s a non runner, they then rang bmw assistance who deal with the recall issues who said too much time has gone by since 3rd July and won’t recover it, service guy is trying to sort something out , inc a car etc, he is hoping to get a tech guy “as a favour” to call round to confirm the fault, I said I’m happy for him to fix it at the roadside if poss , but I assumed the egr cooler was one piece with the valve , service guy said no, they put the new cooler into the valve , and get problems etc, cost me a days work a call out this morning and a morning at the garage last week , trying to find errors etc , I can def see the bolt hole and a loose bolt , but get the feeling they’ll say it’s down to me !!

6 hours ago, roundy said:

I really do hate Sytner and how they return cars to their owners!!! 

They have never yet given me a car back that didn't have an issue they caused during whatever they have done to it.

Struggling to even get the car recovered now! They’ve almost said nothing we can do really , unbelievable, might be able to get it picked up, might have a car later , try and get roadside assistance! Etc etc , I’m guessing it’s ok that I might send them the bill for what it’s cost me trying to rectify the faults showing up , service manager seems a nice guy but not really doing as much as I think he could 

Might be worth having a word with BMW UK as this dealership isn't exactly doing their brand any favours. They would also be able to instruct the dealership to 'be more helpful'.

Just an idea...

Just returned from the dealer, service manager said they did have problems with fitting new coolers onto old valves , they used to do the both on warranty but not now, major expense I suppose , but he said as the valve is loose they will put a new egr valve on! So got an x1 with a full tank ,  told not to worry about putting fuel in etc and car should be available tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed !

5 minutes ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Might be worth having a word with BMW UK as this dealership isn't exactly doing their brand any favours. They would also be able to instruct the dealership to 'be more helpful'.

Just an idea...

BMW UK really don't give a shit m8. Drones on a phone programmed to apologise and tell you it's a franchise so they can't do anything.

Same as a lot of companies really , only so much they are willing to do but could do so much more , which in turn would generate more sales 

1 hour ago, Daveh65 said:

Just returned from the dealer, service manager said they did have problems with fitting new coolers onto old valves , they used to do the both on warranty but not now, major expense I suppose , but he said as the valve is loose they will put a new egr valve on! So got an x1 with a full tank ,  told not to worry about putting fuel in etc and car should be available tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed !

Dave, glad to hear they’re stepping up to get your car fixed. Let’s hope you get it back with a solid repair this time. 

Rang bmw today the update on my car , service manager was a little hesitant, said after inspecting the egr valve he said it hadn’t been seated properly to start with, one bolt missing one hanging out , and the heat from the exhaust fumes etc had melted the egr cooler, now pretty sure the initial fault was a leaky cooler ???? So a melted cooler would have been a more serious fire risk ??? Even a Terry Fu#*wit like myself knows to check its fitting properly before bolting it down and checking to the point of shearing the bolt heads off, really angry to be fair , recall work is just the egr cooler the same non recall work is a new valve and cooler , which is what I’m getting, is it worth pushing for reimbursement for costs trying to sort it out myself ? Down £105 and a days work