Jamieherd

Scraping/rattling noise 520d

Hi, Have had my F10 520d for 10 months now great car apart from a slight scraping /rattle noise.

The noise only occurs when the accelerator pedal is pressed down whilst driving and the car is in gear (actually worst in 4th gear). The noise seems to appear from 2000 rpm onwards and gets worse through the rev range. For example, whilst accelerating, the noise appears and if I lift off the accelerator or depress the clutch, the noise disappears put your foot down again it's there again. The noise is more prevalent whilst the engine is warm. Nothing whilst revving the engine out of gear or idling. There isn’t any noise at idle either – there isn’t the rhythmic slapping noise associated with chain failure.

anyone have any ideas?

The car has the N47 engine and is a 12 plate with 86k.

I was thinking it is the timing chain, but surely this would rattle in neutral as well as in gear. I’m planning on having the timing chains, clutch and flywheel changed in the not so distant future as piece of mind.

I’ve tried to record the noise in the youtube clip below:

Regards

Jamie

Thanks Andrew,

Reading that post it is almost a carbon copy of what I am experiencing. 

Dont like the sound of needing a new gearbox also though....

If I were to have the clutch and flywheel done, would the garage be able to visually inspect the chains without much further work once the gearbox has been split and flywheel removed?

Regards

Jamie

Edited by Jamieherd
Forgot something

2 hours ago, Jamieherd said:

Thanks Andrew,

Reading that post it is almost a carbon copy of what I am experiencing. 

Dont like the sound of needing a new gearbox also though....

If I were to have the clutch and flywheel done, would the garage be able to visually inspect the chains without much further work once the gearbox has been split and flywheel removed?

Regards

Jamie

There is quite a lot of dismantling to do once the gearbox is out to get at the timing chain. The sump needs to come off Along with the rear engine cover plate. Take a look at this video of a 3.0d timing chain replacement with engine in situ. 

Thanks for that Matthew. 

The more I'm looking into it, I'm convinced it's either the clutch or dmf. The fact I cant hear the noise when stationary/revving the car or whilst dipping the clutch when moving is pointing me toward this.

I'll try book it into the garage to have both changed over along with the gearbox oil. See of this solves the issue.

Thanks for the help

Hello Jamieherd,

I tried to reply to the e-mail that was sent to me but it bounced back for some reason, so I have pasted my e-mail answer below:

Hello,

Reading your description of the noise you experience is the same as I had.

The BMW dealership workshop replaced the DMF and clutch, but when they test drove the car, all of the noise wasn't totally gone. What they told me was that roughly 50% of the noise had disappeared. So they had a phone meeting with BMW technical in Munich and after some further investigation on the car they decided to replace the gearbox as when they drained the gearbox oil it contained to much metal swarf. So the gearbox was replaced and now all of the noise is gone :-)

But as the gearbox is a rather expensive item I guess your best bet is to replace the DMF and clutch and fingers crossed that will resolve your noise issue. In my case the car is covered under the BMW used car warranty, so they have paid for all of these repairs :-)

Good luck

Andreas 

Differential or its mounts. 

Not unheard for the diff mounts to have failed. Noise heard when engaging a gear and taking up drive and the diff moves slightly under change of load and clonks.

Or there may be a fault in the actual gears or bearings within the diff itself but that’s really rare. 

Update on the issues I was having with the scraping noise under acceleration.

Had my car in to have the chains, clutch and flywheel replaced and the guy who was carrying out the work found the top chain guide broken in half, all other guides worn and the oil pump chain stretched.

The noise I was experiencing has almost cleared up completely. I can still hear the faintest of noises but I'm sure I can live with it for the moment (until my wallet recovers). 

Pictures attached 

Screenshot_20190910-192824_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190912-110702_Photos.jpg

Edited by Jamieherd
Wrong picture