Spreadly

BMW looking to cut it's range

28 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

a 100k Insignia is just shagged. 

BMW have basically whored themselves to death now. Nobody gives a shit about new models, the 8 Series and Z4 arriving with a whimper. They are now in the position where they are about as prestige as Next whereas they were once Saville Row. They're superb cars but the difference in prestige between a 3 Series and a 5 is marked. A 3 is a bit sleeveless T shirt, badly spaced number plates and vaping, a G30 isn't.

It's a pity the Rover thing didn't work out. The whole reason behind that was to avoid the very situation they are in now, brand and market saturation. If I were buying new, I'd have an Alfa Giulia over a 3 Series saloon. Now there's a marque ripe for careful expansion. Once they with the Mito and Giulietta and release the Giulia Coupe and their junior supercar, Alfa will be a very nice profitable sideline for Fiat whilst BMW and Mercedes slog it out.

As for that new FWD 1 Series......f*cking hell.........:lol:

Post of the week!

Nail hit firmly on the head. 

I first became interested in owning, and driving 5 series bmw's, not because of any prestige or exclusivety, but because of their engineering, and build quality, having owned several e12's, 28's, 34's, 39's, have no desire for an e60, will never say never but maybe an f10, once they have finnished with depreciation.

BUT, timing chain at the rear of the engine? WTF.

Why?

4 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

I disagree. E39's aren't quite as wonderful as they're portrayed. They were lovely when new but certainly rot like a bastard, fading pixels, failing ABS ECU's, shit cooling systems, chocolate autoboxes, headlights that fall to bits and so on. As much as the E60 looked like a cheaper car, it's turned out to be rather more robust. 

Very modern stuff can be a bit iffy though. BMW can't afford to build an E60 as they'd be too expensive to sell, hence the much cheaper to build F10.

Now I can't argue too much as I'm fairly new to e39 ownership and yet to get any long term running costs, but I can say that my e39 rides much better than my old E60, I will say that the E60's ride improved greatly when the run flats came off but not quite as smooth as the E39. Oh and my E60 wasn't without faults, mostly electrical though.

However, both the E39 and E60 are considerably better than the 2018 Audi A4 I currently have (the E39 is the A4s replacement) and the 2016 E Class I had before, oh my what a massive pile of c**p that Merc was! Incredibly uncomfortable, somehow managed to body roll like a boat yet smash your spine when running over anything larger than a penny, I was almost impressed that someone could make a ride so bad. No-one can bad mouth the E60's auto box until they have tried the Mercedes one, that one was so bad that I genuinely believed it to be dangerous, it could leave you slowly rolling out into traffic whilst desperately mashing the accelerator trying to get it to change down from 4th to 1st, by the time it did (if you were lucky enough for another car to not have hit you), it would then be going too fast for 1st but still select it anyway, leading the car to smash the rev limiter and jolting you forward...…...god I hated that car!

Edited by Marc P

6 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Sounds like there were some problems with that Mercedes. They are usually pretty good. 

The ones made in Mexico out of Tacos you mean.

6 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Sounds like there were some problems with that Mercedes. They are usually pretty good. 

It was constantly back at Mercedes for issues, although I'd take it back for any small issue as they would give me a GLA and I much preferred driving them :lol:

A guy I work with got one of the new E Class Coupe's and started to hate it after about 5 days for similar reasons, he actually has cushions from his sofa that he put on the seat to try and make it comfortable :lol:

A photographer mate of mine bought an ex demo E Class Coupe in 2010, a C207/W212. I was surprised at how bad the ride was and how cheap the interior felt. This Merc replaced a 2006 520d M Sport, a very good car. He wanted an F10 520d M Sport but the Merc was cheaper. I got the impression he regretted it!

The old mid 2000's W211 wasn't a bad car at all.

2 hours ago, Marc P said:

It was constantly back at Mercedes for issues, although I'd take it back for any small issue as they would give me a GLA and I much preferred driving them :lol:

I rented a GLA when I went from Inverness to Mansfield a while back when I bough my last E34.  It was nice enough - comfy, well equipped etc, if a wee bit underpowered.

14 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

A photographer mate of mine bought an ex demo E Class Coupe in 2010, a C207/W212. I was surprised at how bad the ride was and how cheap the interior felt.

Are there sporty / less sporty versions of these cars similar to BMWs Sport / SE models?

I had this Range Rover out and about the other day. You’d think this would have a great ride - but I didn’t think so. I was glad to get back into my 8 year old F10.

986AC8AD-EB7A-4211-9B1F-D6A36933272A.jpeg

On 02/08/2019 at 09:10, Calypso-E34 said:

I had this Range Rover out and about the other day. You’d think this would have a great ride - but I didn’t think so. I was glad to get back into my 8 year old F10.

986AC8AD-EB7A-4211-9B1F-D6A36933272A.jpeg

Liking your f10, silver being the best colour too, helps to disguise an over large bonnet grill, a good interior as well, the only fly in the ointment being an oil temp, instead of a coolent temp gauge.

Are they good to drive?

Quite a bit bigger than the e39, so not too barge like, hopefully.

On 01/08/2019 at 17:28, duncan-uk said:

Don't get me started on the image the M140 has....

ahhh....I will hide my M140 then! Tbh it is the daily car and if I were to go to a show or anything like that it would be in my E34 as that is the hobby/toy car. If asked what do I drive I would say "1 series" and not "M140". But yes, the image is awful on them, there are a few local morons who drive them like they stole them. I wanted a 125i but it turned out the M140i was cheaper therefore a no brainer! I only got a new car as my old Octavia vRS was coming to a point where it needed a lot spending on it and not sure it was worth it. It was a toss up between an E36 and a new car which each month would be about the same as I couldn't just have a normal E36! And the never ending arguments I would have with the E36 when it wouldn't work or tinkering with it didn't go to plan, and I needed to have a car that would always work. Have the E34 for tinkering. But after a year owning the M140 I don't think I would rush out to buy a new/used approved car again, only if the deal is right. Don't get me wrong the M140 is a great car and a joy to drive, but it is a bit over kill for the commute. Not having the hassle of maintaining it has been worth it.

Sack off any X vehicle bar the X5, anything "grand coupe" and the i3 and i8 to turn the 3/5/8(?) into the electic versions. Ideally bring back the BMW USP of RWD and 6 cylinder engines.

The problem with BMW is that they are no longer exclusive. I live in London and you should see some of the twats driving around in them. The classic 'gangsta' lean to the side whilst driving, thinking everyone is looking at them. The worst ones are those that lean right towards the driver's door

It seems to be every drug dealer's first purchase nowadays. Either that or those awful CLA Mercs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I drove a new 320i today, an M Sport auto. Such a great car with a lot of very clever details and it's obvious why they sell so well. They know their target audience and what they want. I don't think exclusivity enters the equation now.

The G30 is the sweet spot in there range though, it's just right.  I'm hoping to get a 520i on test before long. 

Edited by Sir Anthony Regents-Park

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The G30 is the sweet spot in there range though, it's just right.  I'm hoping to get a 520i on test before long. 

Id be very interested to read how that goes Andy. Dad has a G30 520d. Loves it, but is considering a petrol one next time. 

I drove a new 320i today, an M Sport auto. Such a great car with a lot of very clever details and it's obvious why they sell so well. They know their target audience and what they want. I don't think exclusivity enters the equation now.

I hear you. The reason you see so many 5 series on the road is because they are genuinely great cars.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I think it's all gone too far with various niche models. I get coupes but WTF is the use of a coupe'd SUV? I'd have though 1 series (hatch), 3 series (saloon, estate, convertible & coupe), 5 series (saloon and estate), 7 series, X3 and X5 would be a solid line up. 

Oh, and put some spare wheels in the effing lot of them please! Tyre nightmares on the past two BMWs are the reason I'm not having another. Both caused hours of inconvenience that could have been easily avoided with a space saver.

And get rid of the comedy grills on a few of the newer models ...

But no spare wheel reduces weight which decreases emissions which means road tax costs the owner less which they think is wonderful, right up to the moment they get a blowout and are immobilised.

It's a farce isn't it? Let's lose a teeny space saver yet make each generation bigger and heavier than the one that came before it. I guess the new grills are a weight saving, being just a bit of plastic and a lot of air ...

12 minutes ago, Retset said:

I guess the new grills are a weight saving, being just a bit of plastic and a lot of air ...

Lol but don't you know the grills are a key part of the efficient dynamics of the vehicle and are critical in the way the air moves over the car to make it more aerodynamically efficient.......snore what a load of old bolloxs.  I don't care about that crap in a car.