Exuptoy

Just checked for recalls? Battery cable issues.

I know about the recall only from forums and Youtube, in the past I have had recall notifications posted to me by the DVLA, I had assumed that was because (in that case) Mercedes were obliged to pay the DVLA to notify all registered keepers of said vehicles.

Anyone received a letter sent on behalf of BMW yet?

39 minutes ago, Keith_H said:

I know about the recall only from forums and Youtube, in the past I have had recall notifications posted to me by the DVLA, I had assumed that was because (in that case) Mercedes were obliged to pay the DVLA to notify all registered keepers of said vehicles.

Anyone received a letter sent on behalf of BMW yet?

I received a letter from DVLA for the e39 steerimg wheel airbag recall. 

I didn't get anything for this one, just saw a facebook post about it (so I presume someone got a letter or regularly check the .gov website). I checked the .gov site and bmw's recall site and both informed me that there was a recall out for it. 

Phoned up dealer and booked it in only to be told on the morning that they didn't have the 'insrtuctions'!

A week later everything was ok and got it done on Tuesday.  

I have no idea who pays for the letters. We pay plenty of road tax so I'd imagine it's us!

17 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Wasn't this cable connection already the subject of a recall years ago?

Keliuss

It's been for other models (mum's e90 went in a few months ago for the same thing). I don't know when this issue started or when the recalls started.

I feel that the 5series was at the bottom of the list, they didn't seem to be in a rush to get in touch!

There could well have been a recall years ago. Could have been dealt with during normal servicing or been a separate recall. Only had mine two years and they might have differentiated between pre and post lci models. 

1 hour ago, Keliuss said:

Wasn't this cable connection already the subject of a recall years ago?

Keliuss

Yes but they just did it from inside the boot, now they are checking the underside (let's face it if it will go it will go on the side exposed to the elements) and taking whatever correction is needed from a simple grease to prevent corrosion or a new boot floor.

Edited by GoNz0

13 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Yes but they just did it from inside the boot, now they are checking the underside (let's face it if it will go it will go on the side exposed to the elements) and taking whatever correction is needed from a simple grease to prevent corrosion or a new boot floor.

Yes, the previous (years ago) recall was a cosmetic (face wash) change of trunk side cable connection cover. This recent recall is the real deal which covers the actual connection and cable connector on the underside which is and was the actual problem in the first place.

image.png.d7526426e6e0e10f09c935cfe6d0f2d7.png

Was having a read at that post on Facebook earlier. Looks like a full floor replacement is off the cards. If I’ve understood the tech note correctly the worst affected cars will get the connector through the floor replaced and the surrounding area treated.

39 minutes ago, RandomName said:

Was having a read at that post on Facebook earlier. Looks like a full floor replacement is off the cards. If I’ve understood the tech note correctly the worst affected cars will get the connector through the floor replaced and the surrounding area treated.

In that Stage 3 worst case the whole cable from that under trunk connector to engine bay jump start connection point is renewed.

5 hours ago, Clavurion said:

In that Stage 3 worst case the whole cable from that under trunk connector to engine bay jump start connection point is renewed.

Yep that's all. How that takes 10 hours I don't know :lol:

5 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Having recently removed the under floor panels to change the brake lines I can see how that would take up a good chunk of the 10 hours :-)

Edited by RandomName
Typo

10 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Because the cable goes over fuel tank. So officially they have to drop the tank and for that they first need to remove propeller shaft and parking brake bowden cables. In real life it can be done by slightly lowering the tank. If this job is done I would have them also renew the rear brake pipes as it would be much easier with the tank removed.

Edited by Clavurion

1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

Because the cable goes over fuel tank. So officially they have to drop the tank and for that they first need to remove propeller shaft and parking brake bowden cables. In real life it can be done by slightly lowering the tank. If this job is done I would have them also renew the rear brake pipes as it would be much easier with the tank removed.

I’m in the process of replacing the brake pipes and don’t see how removing the fuel tank would help as the run beside the tank rather than over it. Would be a lot easier with the rear subframe removed but not essential. I’m working on an e61 so can’t comment on whether the e60 has different routing.

32 minutes ago, RandomName said:

I’m in the process of replacing the brake pipes and don’t see how removing the fuel tank would help as the run beside the tank rather than over it. Would be a lot easier with the rear subframe removed but not essential. I’m working on an e61 so can’t comment on whether the e60 has different routing.

It could be that I'm remembering how the rear pipes are routed on E39.

30 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

I know when I did them on the e36 the tank had to come out so was dreading them on the e61 but the only pain points have been going over the subframe and removing the plastic panels under the car. There’s even a joint under the car so there’s no need to replace the full length of the car.

I couldn’t believe how bad my lines were. The one the runs over the subframe snapped taking it out of the plastic body clip it was that badly corroded. I think the last person to mot it must have got his guide dog to check the car.

19 hours ago, Clavurion said:

I had to drop the tank on my E36 :(

You can do the rear brake lines on an E61 without dropping the tank (I've done mine). That's replacing the whole length, not putting an extra join in. It would have been much, much easier if I'd dropped the fuel tank.

Just had a look and it's the rear sub-frame that really needs dropping to do the rear brake lines...and replace the battery cable.

So if your car goes in for the battery cable recall and needs the cable replacing then I'd expect BMW to pick up on any corroded brake lines at the same time - they will be fully exposed. If the rear subframe bushes are shot they'll probably flag that too.

Finally they'll most likely need to plug in diagnositics to clear errors caused by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable. I doubt they'd reprogram the car but ISTA will automatically flag up any cars that have been remapped, so BMW records will show the car has been remapped.

If you're just stage one and need some grease then you probably don't have to worry about the points above.

Looks like the repair plate is plastic?

Thanks a lot for this, it's been near impossible to get it and I have been trying to avoid updating ISTA due to the size :)

Any chance in a PDF so I can stick it on the FB groups? 

31 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Looks like the repair plate is plastic?

Thanks a lot for this, it's been near impossible to get it and I have been trying to avoid updating ISTA due to the size :)

Any chance in a PDF so I can stick it on the FB groups? 

Yes, that repair plate for the worst case scenario seems to be plastic.

I just copied these from our local BMW forum, not from my own ISTA so I can't share a direct pdf version.

13 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

our local BMW forum

Now we know where he gets all those juicy details from :D

Keliuss