Sign in to follow this  
Marc P

Marc's Project 2003 E39 530i Sport Saloon

Morning Guy's,

So I finally found my base car this weekend, it's completely standard (although well optioned), with very nearly full BMW service history and 3 previous owners, one of which was the guy I bought it off as he owned the car twice after buying it back from the guy he sold it too, so in reality, 2 previous owners.

Now before I get into what work is going to be undertaken, I have to just say how gobsmacked I am with the car! Before I drove it I was genuinely worried that those rose-tinted glasses were in full effect and the e39 was going to feel very old in comparison to my current car (2018 Audi A4), I needn't have been, it drives smoother, quieter and just all round nicer, I went to get something out of the Audi last night and all of a sudden it feels very cheap, opening the door felt like the car was made on a budget of £2.50.

So first up, pics of it currently, I got it in the garage for a good polishing and waxing session (love how good black is when clean):

890797676_TECEmail-2.thumb.png.175e00fe7e043d4055dc8c8a9e209592.png

thumbnail_Image-5.thumb.png.970fe6809f5127072255ce044ee0f6f3.png

thumbnail_Image-10.thumb.png.b0414ed68b60700c67aac89389f0e453.pngthumbnail_Image-9.thumb.png.9ab931065fc6d8e2bb52fda8373465cc.pngthumbnail_Image-8.thumb.png.184b23efec7a7c2112830989936af7d3.pngthumbnail_Image-7.thumb.png.d5f732ee42853d8fef369363f472204f.png

So first jobs are preventative and restoration jobs:

- Full professional paint correction and detail then ceramic coated

- New cooling system (Rad, stat, water pump, etc)

- Suspension (struts, bushes, arms, etc) and brake re-fresh (new disc/pads and braided lines)

- New steering wheel

- New buttons/switchgear (not sure where I can find all this)

- New auto knob and handbrake handle with fresh leather gaiters

- Leather fully restored (possibly in cream)

- Centre console and arm rests trimmed in leather (too essentially match the extended leather option)

- Fit cupholders!!! (I need my coffee with me!)

Then we are into the upgrade/OEM+ parts, I'm also a massive fan of retro fitting so will be on to find some of the below:

- Fit double glazed windows

- Install an android based but OEM looking headunit along with a 360 camera system

- Thinking about either getting e38 comfort seats or having the lumbar and massage features installed into the sport seats

- Fit paddle shifters to the steering wheel.

I'm also looking into putting an S54 engine into it, my goal with this car is to create my perfect e39 that will see me through hopefully many years and many many miles and for me, that perfection is not with a V8 (sorry 535/540/M5 guys!), it's with a smooth but also screaming straight 6 but I won't get into that discussion(or argument :D) here.

Great buy @Marc P - Knew you'd buy it ;) 

Sounds a cracking project; you've certainly got the right building to do it in! Looks a fantastic garage 8) 

Re steering wheel; I and a lot of olk will recommend Jack at Royal Steering Wheels for a retrim; contact him and he can tell you what options you've got etc

As for the cooling system; I'd highly recommend the Meyle water pump; Walher stat, Behr or Nissens rad  and Febi top/bottom hoses and belts. All this can be sourced via either C3BMW or BMWmotormec; both on eBay and C3BMW have their own website too. Both trusted resellers. I've used therm both for all my BMWs and each one has had the cooling system overhaul using the parts I've mentioned with zero issues

Re the suspension; are you looking to stick with OEM spec Sport dampers/springs, or go aftermarket such as Bilstein/Eibach or maybe look into coilovers etc? Same re the brakes too?

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Sounds a cracking project; you've certainly got the right building to do it in! Looks a fantastic garage 8) 

Is it the law that if you live in or around Harrogate you have to have a mahooosive garage?  :lol:

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Great buy @Marc P - Knew you'd buy it ;) 

Re steering wheel; I and a lot of olk will recommend Jack at Royal Steering Wheels for a retrim; contact him and he can tell you what options you've got etc

As for the cooling system; I'd highly recommend the Meyle water pump; Walher stat, Behr or Nissens rad  and Febi top/bottom hoses and belts. All this can be sourced via either C3BMW or BMWmotormec; both on eBay and C3BMW have their own website too. Both trusted resellers. I've used therm both for all my BMWs and each one has had the cooling system overhaul using the parts I've mentioned with zero issues

Re the suspension; are you looking to stick with OEM spec Sport dampers/springs, or go aftermarket such as Bilstein/Eibach or maybe look into coilovers etc? Same re the brakes too?

Ace, thanks!

In regards to the suspension, I want something that rides very much like stock, I don't really want to firm it up too much as it rides so nice! Coilovers are usually too firm so I'll probably not go down that route.

On the brakes, I will keep them fairly stock spec, I put grooved disks on my old E60 and it caused it to produce a bit of a droning noise under braking.

2 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Is it the law that if you live in or around Harrogate you have to have a mahooosive garage?  :lol:

Haha, that is actually one of the garages up at my parents where I have a bunch of my other cars, mine is a far more modest single but currently occupied with my Supra:

1936437122_IMG_1036(002).thumb.jpg.9a6878b1b801dfc08a17058befb4c063.jpg

32 minutes ago, Marc P said:

Ace, thanks!

In regards to the suspension, I want something that rides very much like stock, I don't really want to firm it up too much as it rides so nice! Coilovers are usually too firm so I'll probably not go down that route.

On the brakes, I will keep them fairly stock spec, I put grooved disks on my old E60 and it caused it to produce a bit of a droning noise under braking.

Haha, that is actually one of the garages up at my parents where I have a bunch of my other cars, mine is a far more modest single but currently occupied with my Supra:

1936437122_IMG_1036(002).thumb.jpg.9a6878b1b801dfc08a17058befb4c063.jpg

For suspension then; I'd personally highly recommend Sachs Sport spec dampers and Eibach Pro-kit springs; those with new top mounts up front should cost you around £550-£600 IIRC. Then you've to factor in fitting time/costs unless you do it all yourself.

I've run BC and D2 coilovers on all my BMWs bar my current touring as I want to retain the rear bags; and the D2 coilovers were superb. Yes, firmer than OEM, but with full ride height and damping adjustability; they rode very smooth on 18 & 19" alloys/tyres and the car handles like it was on rails. Very easy to fit too, certainly more plug n play than having to take all the suspension apart to rebuild and then re-fit; worth bearing in mind. The D2 coilovers you can get via SPD Automotive in Preston (local company to me) for c£700 IIRC and they're built with all that's needed; you'd just be wise to fit new drop links etc. These were what I had fitted to my previous Sapphire black E39, the pics I showed you on your other thread ;) 

As for brakes; OEM spec blank discs (Brembo, Mintex, ATE etc) with decent pads (EBC Yellowstuff/Ferodo DS2500) and braided lines (HEL) will make for a superb set-up; Mtec do very good grooved and C hook discs too; yes the grooved discs do drone under heavy braking, but that's their design. The C hook discs are quieter and work superbly. I'm a fan of Mtec discs and they do good prices for the EBC pads too :) 

Lovely Supra; I never got into the forced induction side of Jap cars; I had quite a few highly built N/A Hondas (EG6 import, DC2 import, DC5 import and a few ATR's); I was going to buy an Mitsubishi Evo VI Mak edition, but test drove what was going to be my daily car (an E38 7 series) and fell in love with waft buses; the rest is history :lol:  

5 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

For suspension then; I'd personally highly recommend Sachs Sport spec dampers and Eibach Pro-kit springs; those with new top mounts up front should cost you around £550-£600 IIRC. Then you've to factor in fitting time/costs unless you do it all yourself.

I've run BC and D2 coilovers on all my BMWs bar my current touring as I want to retain the rear bags; and the D2 coilovers were superb. Yes, firmer than OEM, but with full ride height and damping adjustability; they rode very smooth on 18 & 19" alloys/tyres and the car handles like it was on rails. Very easy to fit too, certainly more plug n play than having to take all the suspension apart to rebuild and then re-fit; worth bearing in mind. The D2 coilovers you can get via SPD Automotive in Preston (local company to me) for c£700 IIRC and they're built with all that's needed; you'd just be wise to fit new drop links etc. These were what I had fitted to my previous Sapphire black E39, the pics I showed you on your other thread ;) 

As for brakes; OEM spec blank discs (Brembo, Mintex, ATE etc) with decent pads (EBC Yellowstuff/Ferodo DS2500) and braided lines (HEL) will make for a superb set-up; Mtec do very good grooved and C hook discs too; yes the grooved discs do drone under heavy braking, but that's their design. The C hook discs are quieter and work superbly. I'm a fan of Mtec discs and they do good prices for the EBC pads too :) 

Lovely Supra; I never got into the forced induction side of Jap cars; I had quite a few highly built N/A Hondas (EG6 import, DC2 import, DC5 import and a few ATR's); I was going to buy an Mitsubishi Evo VI Mak edition, but test drove what was going to be my daily car (an E38 7 series) and fell in love with waft buses; the rest is history :lol:  

Thanks for all of that, I'll have a look into it all this evening, I may also need a wheel bearing doing aswell, there seems to be a slight wheel wobble that you can notice both at around 70-75mph and also when turning in with minimal steering inputs at lower speeds, but it will all be getting ripped out and replaced. In regards to the suspension, the technology has moved forward somewhat over the past 20 years so I'm guessing you can notice a real improvement over stock?

Yeah it was Mtec I had on the E60, I will likely grab a set of there C hook ones as I had no issues with the quality, just the typical braking drone from grooved discs that started to annoy me.

Thanks, although you can't see much more than an intercooler :lol:, I've had it some years now, runs 700rwhp but I have done maybe 50 miles in it this year, likely to sell it next year as I want to put money to one side to upgrade my C6 Corvette to a C8, but I've had many jap cars, 3 Civics (1x EJ2, 1x EK4, 1x EM1) 4 Supras, MR2, MX5, plus others I'm probably forgetting :lol:. If you had bought a Tommi Mak, you'd certainly not of lost any money!!

Anyway, put some wax on the car now this eve as it now joins it's drive buddy!

thumbnail_IMG_1230.thumb.jpg.4f3ed9316c942228f3e529fd867a4a6f.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:36 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

So I've ordered a set of the Sachs sport dampers but not sure about the Eibach springs, I've been google imaging them but the pics that come up seems to have them a little low on the front, do you know if there are any other springs that give a more subtle drop?

8 hours ago, Marc P said:

So I've ordered a set of the Sachs sport dampers but not sure about the Eibach springs, I've been google imaging them but the pics that come up seems to have them a little low on the front, do you know if there are any other springs that give a more subtle drop?

They're not that low at all; 10-15mm lower than OEM Mtec II springs; I've just lowered the fronts on my touring with the Eibach springs and for me, the ride height is now perfect (it's in my projects)

The Eibach Sportline springs give a more serious drop, around 50mm and for me, that's too much. So definitely stick with the Eibach Pro-kit for your E39 :) 

If you still feel that's too low, then your option is to source all new OEM Mtec springs from BMW, they're the only place you can get them - I fitted all brand new ones from BMW Cotswolds back in April/May time; they're now surplus and sat in my garage. So if they're of interest to you, drop me a private message :)