Hey folks, I am new to the forum, I am not a 5 series owner yet, but i have my heart set on getting one, i am looking for an f10/f11 520d touring, auto, I'd like a good spec and an all around reliable car. I am thinking that the 520d is a good mix of performance and economy, can you guys give me a real idea of what the economy of the car is? What I currently  drive gives me around 35mpg, so I would like to get at least that which is what the spec sheets say is achievable.  What should I look out for/ avoid when looking at a car and if there is any other useful info out there that would be good too. I heard that all of the tourings came with air ride suspension,  is this true? Also if anyone has a suitable car for sale, I would be interested.  

Thanks

If you are after a 520d, avoid pre 2014 models (with the N47 engine) as these can suffer from timing chain rattle which is very expensive to fix as it requires the engine to come out. The later 520d models have the B47 engine which is fine.

Put the last 7 digits of any potential 520d chassis number into 

https://www.mdecoder.com/

If it shows that it is an N47 engine, but it has evidence of additional oil changes (every 10k and yearly which is half of what is recommended by BMW) and it has the spec you want, make sure there are no rattles from the top rear of the engine. Not all N47 engines give issues but it is a risk with that engine.

F11 is the touring which has rear air suspension which can give issues, rear air springs are an easy and relatively cheap fix. Plenty to read about on here. Make sure it airs up ok and the compressor switches off once the car is level. 

Check the carpets on the passenger side front and rear are bone dry. Muck builds up in the scuttle drains which can allow water to weep past a yellow grommet (that plugs the steering column hole in the bulkhead on right hand drive cars) and into the cabin which manifests itself as wet carpets.

There are plenty of 520ds out there so be fussy.

Ive just had my EGR done as a recall and they had to order in the part so I thought that they would have the car for months as it used to be when the recall first happened. You can imagine that the manufacturer of the egr had to make replacements and supply new parts for new cars on the line therefore there was a terrible delay getting parts. Fortunately that is not the case now and they had my car for a week and loaned me a 4 month old 320d m-sport as well. Thank you very much. 

I'd say that 35 mpg is pretty easy to achieve with a 2.0D Auto. 

I get about that on my commute which is about 20 miles over 40 minutes - the first half is dual carriageway inter-spaced with roundabouts so not exactly conducive to economy. On long runs it's much better and gets high 20s pulling 1550kg of caravan. Overall, better than I expected.

I'm currently on 41 mpg just the usual bit of mixed driving in the 530. I'm away soon with the caravan, a twin axle Bologna, and will be towing it with the 530 for the first time so I will be interested on how well it does with over a ton and a half on the back.

My dad towed a similar weight of caravan with his F10 530d. He said it was effortless.  

As long as its loaded up properly and you drive sensibly within your and the cars limits, it will be a great tug.  You have the added advantage of rear air springs to level things up. 

I've only ever towed a half tonne trailer with mine and I use the sports auto paddles to reign in the speed on the downhill sections to limit the heat in the brakes. 

If your budget allows it go for the B47 engine, I have just changed from a 2013 N47 to a 2016 B47 and it’s definitely more refined and economical, 48 mpg compared to 40. The 520d is ideal in my opinion however I haven’t drove a F11 520d.

As Andrew says there are plenty out there so enjoy looking.

Edited by Mijmap

Work I have had done on my 2015 F11 LCI 535D (115k miles):

Usual maintenance - oil, filters, brakes etc

EGR cooler - recall (make sure this has been done, may have catastrophic consequenses)

Intake manifold - the flaps create some slack wich results the sensor getting wrong readings and engine not having power (50-50 at startups). It was usually ok after restarting the car. This can be found on all models and is a common problem. Make sure the intake manifold has been cleaned as well.

Engine mounts - wearing out at ~60k miles

Transmission oil change - change after every 35k miles (big bucks since it uses the newest green transmission oil)

Various gaskets for intake manifold, egr, oil filter/heat exchanger, intercooler, between 2 turbos

New oil breather (I think this was not necessary)

Things to replace soon:

High pressure fuel pump (prone to fail, catastrophic consequenses)

Both air springs (OEM is cheap stuff from China, I'll take something better like Arnott) 

Relay of the compressor (prone to fail, kills the air compressor)

Some bushings in the suspension started squeaking in the back (it's because of silicone getting older)

Finally some modifications to the car (just finished installing LEDs to interior)

I'm sure there's more stuff to be aware of and I'm doing research from time to time and read the stuff online. The more you know the cheaper it is to maintain the car.

Edited by Capmoq

18 minutes ago, new2bmw said:

Does the onboard service record thing store all that has been done to each car ?

Only if serviced by BMW or a suitably equipped independent dealer.

18 minutes ago, new2bmw said:

I'm still using good old fashioned books and files of receipts for my current car which makes it easier in my opinion.

The iDrive service history is fine but I, along with many others on the forum, maintain a file of receipts and other documentation. If you ever trade in a car at BMW (as I did last November) the first thing they check is the service history and any outstanding service items.