It could be anything Jim, you won't know until codes have been read.

Let us know how you get on.

10 hours ago, bmwmike said:

I have had precisely one guiness and I thought this was a thread about broken duvet. Sorry. :ph34r:

I think its more worrying that you thought that after only one Guinness.  Lightweight.;)

So cam sensor error code and fuel pressure low.  I cant hear fuel pump.  However, it wont go on easy start so I suspect my chain has jumped.  No more defending N47's!

Take the rocker cover off and look for broken rockers, if nothing obvious, gently turn engine over by hand while watching the valve gear for movement. If you feel resistance (mechanical rather than just compression) stop turning it as you may inflict more damage.

Timing chains don't just fail, they stretch (and rattle) which then may cause it to jump a tooth. Was there any rattle from the engine before it let go?

No rattle but did seem more difficult to start. I was going to check it over but was a bit busy with work. Hard  lesson learnt.

Late 2011 car with 126k.

No rattle, which we have just learned from @Johnjonjo isn't necessarily a warning of timing chain failure.

Low compression would cause a poor start if the valve gear was about of alignment (engine timing off) but when it was running it would have been sounding really rough, which you would have noticed like in the above case. 

The high pressure fuel pump is driven from the idler gear between the two timing chains. To loose fuel pressure and have a cam sensor fault points something on that idler gear or the lower chain. 

I am amazed I didn’t get a death rattle.  

After speaking to a few mechanics the engines can really damage themselves.  

I have also heard the engines are straightforward to take out. 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

I am amazed I didn’t get a death rattle.  

After speaking to a few mechanics the engines can really damage themselves.  

I have also heard the engines are straightforward to take out. 

Like in my case you wont know for definite until engine is out.

Just be really careful to check it's not anything else as taking engine out is very labour intensive so costly and could cause other issues if not taken out and put back in properly.

It would be awfull if when engine is pulled out it then tells us that the chains are ok.

So the garage I use has diagnosed the chain.  I have known the bloke for years and they use to do a  great deal of engine work in Nottingham.  They have now gone mainly into the servicing work but still do bits of engineering work.  They are a good garage but not the cheapest.

I would have preferred to diagnosis myself and get the rocker cover off, as Andrew suggest, but I am away on holiday, so stuck.  

I have done similar jobs before but I cant afford to have the car off the road, due to work and elderly family.  So I am getting my own engine refurbished.

I did consider getting a 2nd hand engine in but you would have to put a new chain kit on anyway for piece of mind and the engines are silly money.

2 hours ago, Jimbo07g41 said:

So the garage I use has diagnosed the chain.  I have known the bloke for years and they use to do a  great deal of engine work in Nottingham.  They have now gone mainly into the servicing work but still do bits of engineering work.  They are a good garage but not the cheapest.

I would have preferred to diagnosis myself and get the rocker cover off, as Andrew suggest, but I am away on holiday, so stuck.  

I have done similar jobs before but I cant afford to have the car off the road, due to work and elderly family.  So I am getting my own engine refurbished.

I did consider getting a 2nd hand engine in but you would have to put a new chain kit on anyway for piece of mind and the engines are silly money.

How much is refurbishing going to cost you ?

Refurbishing your current engine seems like the most sensible thing, especially if you're planning on keeping the car for some time. At least you know where it's been and you can be sure it'll be getting a proper overhaul. A 2nd hand engine seems like such a gamble. 

Would you not be better fitting a different refurbished engine? It will be quicker (and potentially cheaper) as it's already been completely rebuilt. These come with pucker guarantees for peace of mind.

Until yours is stripped you won't know what damage has been done.

Found a co that does supply fit and recovery for an f10 520d for £2295, not sure how much a scrappy engine would cost , factoring in the labour and any parts that need replacing etc etc 

On 8/4/2019 at 10:10 AM, Cadwell Parker said:

Refurbishing your current engine seems like the most sensible thing, especially if you're planning on keeping the car for some time. At least you know where it's been and you can be sure it'll be getting a proper overhaul. A 2nd hand engine seems like such a gamble. 

I think this a good option if it is a trusted garage.  There seems to be a number of back street garages doing this and I suspect some might do the minimum to turn a good profit.

On 8/4/2019 at 10:59 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Would you not be better fitting a different refurbished engine? It will be quicker (and potentially cheaper) as it's already been completely rebuilt. These come with pucker guarantees for peace of mind.

Until yours is stripped you won't know what damage has been done.

Yes, with hindsight I think this is a good option.  You can get some with a 24 mths guarantee.  You also know that if you buy it from a reputed source it has been done to a standard.  

The problem i had was time. I need a car for my work and I did think about doing the work myself.   However, time again is the valuable commodity.  

I am getting 12mths 12,000 miles parts and labour.  

The clutch had had started to slip so I was going to have to pay out at some point.  The garage is putting a new luk clutch on for 200.  So all in I am paying £1800.  If the garage does everything it says it’s not too bad. 

I bought the the car cheap with a number of faults so I just won’t have been as cheap as I had wanted.  

It is a lovely drive and a brilliant all round car.  

21 hours ago, Daveh65 said:

Found a co that does supply fit and recovery for an f10 520d for £2295, not sure how much a scrappy engine would cost , factoring in the labour and any parts that need replacing etc etc 

A scrappy engine is potentially the cheapest option.  They tend to sell them based on miles.  Probably one of a accident damaged car ( rear end) would be best.  If it was an earlier engine I would get new chains and guides on. 

I found one with 121k for 850 plus vat and one with 65 k for 1800.  So even the high miles one is not that cheap once you factor in labour chain kit etc .

so I would only go this way if you needed the car on the road and were selling on.