CS10

Roof bars/racks

Hi all. 

The wife has decided I need a roof rack for when we go away. 

Has anyone used these before? 

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/roofbars/cruz_airo_fix_118cm_black_aluminium_roof_bars_2_bars_no_925_713/Qx%40w%2C6M4gNax5vN1Yv0vegd3uH%40ild.}hy%40RiLaRHD1TBf.lNF9WMGeC}qS4Romss

Or any other recommendations? Im only going to use them when I go away, and Ill take them off once back from a trip. 

I've bought from that website before and no issues .

Those roofbars look like the Thule aero ones but half the price

If they fit and are rated for what you need I'd go for it..

For me its the storage of said roof box when its not on the car that's the problem with them.

2 hours ago, CS10 said:

Or any other recommendations?

I already have a trailer so I just use that which takes up less space in the garage than a roof box would and I can put half a tonne of stuff in it.

On 27/07/2019 at 19:34, UltimateWarrior said:

But are you not speed limited in the UK when towing?

Once you get above 50mph road limits the following apply up to 7.5 t unless lower limit applies.

National speed limit single carriage way -50mph

National speed limit on dual carriageway -60mph

Motorway - 60mph. And not allowed in the outside lane.

Its great for economy, when I'm towing my trailer (light loads) and limited in my speed, I can easily approach 40 mpg.  ;)

Trailer plus towbar can be much the same cost as roof bars and box, but a trailer can handle heavier loads.

I've used them and they do the job very well at a competitive price - just remember to insert the rubber profile in any unused slots (including on the underside of the bars) otherwise you will get a shed load of noise at any decent speed. In terms of storage of a roof box (if you were thinking of getting one) an option is to suspend it in the garage roof space by attaching 2 'fasty' straps to the garage ceiling (screwing into joists) and lifting up into the roof space out the way when not in use as in the pic.

20190729_162134.jpg

20190729_163436.jpg

I've just checked the BMW product site for my motor and the one I need is about £180.

The description says it can be combined with all bmw roof rack mounts.... Is this something sep I need to buy? 

15 hours ago, Phil_530d said:

I've used them and they do the job very well at a competitive price - just remember to insert the rubber profile in any unused slots (including on the underside of the bars) otherwise you will get a shed load of noise at any decent speed. In terms of storage of a roof box (if you were thinking of getting one) an option is to suspend it in the garage roof space by attaching 2 'fasty' straps to the garage ceiling (screwing into joists) and lifting up into the roof space out the way when not in use as in the pic.

So envious of your Garage ceiling height! Stowage of the roofbox was a concern for me, no way I have the space above the car in the garage. 

Any idea how the roofbox affects fuel consumption?

No idea on fuel consumption I'm afraid, however, having the box on the car didn't seem to prompt a refuelling stop earlier than expected. 

I am sure there are other contributors on here that could offer a more scientific answer of a typical impact on mpg B)

18 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

So envious of your Garage ceiling height! Stowage of the roofbox was a concern for me, no way I have the space above the car in the garage. 

This!

Likewise, I can't store one, like yours @Phil_530d. How/where do you store yours Matthew?

Is this an excuse for me to get another man cave, er I mean a shed?

13 hours ago, CS10 said:

I've just checked the BMW product site for my motor and the one I need is about £180.

The description says it can be combined with all bmw roof rack mounts.... Is this something sep I need to buy? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113665707992

Not sure about the mounts. The pic shows some with the roof bars but maybe best asking the seller.

I got some 2nd hand genuine bars including 2x BMW bike carriers for £120 (plus I already had one from my previous E91), and have recently added a 2nd hand Mont Blanc 450l roof box for £90. Last year I drove to SE Ireland with 3x bikes on the roof and I've just driven to Gower with the roof box; unfortunately no room for a bike carrier when the box is fitted. Both instances saw around 10mpg less than I'd normally get, down to 35mpg from 45mpg motorway & countryside driving.

I bought a set of  Thule Edge Wing bars when I got my car and I am very pleased with them, . They are expensive, but the build quality is excellent and they are extremely quiet (and easy to fit). I bought them used off eBay for around £200 including all the fixtures https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/roof-rack/roof-racks/thule-edge-wingbar-_-95xxb?car=bmw-5-series+touring-5dr-estate-_-uqNi. As we have 2 kids and a Labradoodle that is more like Chewbacca than dog we tend to have to lug this enormous roof box when we to our house in France.

The seller's details are https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/skid-1972 if you would like them.

IMG_3627.thumb.jpeg.db908422cae2dc0663325c0534cc9450.jpeg