Ciprian

Shock absorber recommandation for eibach pro kit

Hello, I currently own a 2004 530D e60 and I would like to lower it a little bit.

I would like to lower it a little and after some research I found out that an eibach pro kit would be the best choice since I would like to keep it as comfortable as possible.

The problem is that the shocks are totally gone and I don't really know what to chose: sachs (twintube) or bilstein b4(monotube).

I heard that bilstein's are a little stiffer than the sachs ones.  Another thing that people were saying is that bilstein is a better choice for lowering spring.

Is there a big difference between these two (feel free to recommend other ones too)?

I drive on all kind of roads, from very good ones (on which I like to push the car a little) to the ones in cities, full of manhole covers.

Has anyone tried these combinations? How does it compare to standard suspension (actually I can't really relate because of the horrible ride caused by the blown shocks). I use 18" summer wheels and 17" winter ones.

You could go OEM Sachs spec; they'll work perfectly well with the Eibach springs as they don't lower too much. Otherwise you'd be best to look at Bilstein B6 or B8 dampers

FYI my E39 touring is on all new Sachs Sport spec dampers and Eibach lowering springs (up front) and the car rides superbly

FYI; when you've added up the cost of springs and dampers (and IMO at least new front top mounts, may as well replace them as it's all coming off anyways); you'll be well within the region of good coilovers (ie BCs or D2s etc); they're very much plug n play on the BMW saloons with top mounts included all round and you can set these to your hearts content (ride height and damper rating adjustability); yes, they'll be firmer than OEM but not by a massive amount. Well worth considering IMO

Thank you for your answer,

the total cost for the bilstein setup would be ~£500(£72 for each shock, ~£38 for top mounts and £170 for eibach kit).

Sachs shocks cost a little bit more: £92 for each shock, adding up to ~£576.

I would really like a set of good quality coilovers but they are much more expensive (BCs seem to be £849 without top mounts and D2S start from £730).

1 hour ago, Ciprian said:

Thank you for your answer,

the total cost for the bilstein setup would be ~£500(£72 for each shock, ~£38 for top mounts and £170 for eibach kit).

Sachs shocks cost a little bit more: £92 for each shock, adding up to ~£576.

I would really like a set of good quality coilovers but they are much more expensive (BCs seem to be £849 without top mounts and D2S start from £730).

I've run D2 coilovers for years; on a lot of Hondas and then on an E38 7 series and both my previous E39 530i's and found them to be superb on big cars; the big 7 was great on them, hilarious to chuck such a big car round bends like it was on rails ;) 

Personally I'd go coilovers, they'll fit with no issues as they're generally plug n play, they save on labour costs when it comes to fitting as it's a bolt off/bolt on case and as already said; they're fully adjustable etc

Plus with a professional set up (fast road set up); your car will handle and ride superbly 8):) 

16 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've run D2 coilovers for years; on a lot of Hondas and then on an E38 7 series and both my previous E39 530i's and found them to be superb on big cars; the big 7 was great on them, hilarious to chuck such a big car round bends like it was on rails ;) 

Personally I'd go coilovers, they'll fit with no issues as they're generally plug n play, they save on labour costs when it comes to fitting as it's a bolt off/bolt on case and as already said; they're fully adjustable etc

Plus with a professional set up (fast road set up); your car will handle and ride superbly 8):) 

This may be my next mod after holiday.

If it was my money. Eibachs as they are a progressive spring that improves ride quality over the m sport while being nice and tight in the twisted. Bilstein b4s. I would avoid b6s and b8s as they are harsher. More for race tracks and m3 / m5s.

But that's where my money would go. 

Some on here also swear by koni active shocks.

On 24/07/2019 at 22:40, Vauxfan said:

If it was my money. Eibachs as they are a progressive spring that improves ride quality over the m sport while being nice and tight in the twisted. Bilstein b4s. I would avoid b6s and b8s as they are harsher. More for race tracks and m3 / m5s.

But that's where my money would go. 

Some on here also swear by koni active shocks.

I've been out in plenty of cars with B6/B8 dampers and the Pro-kit springs and they've never been harsh at all (7 series, 3 series and a few non-BMWs); in fact they all rode superbly, very well balanced and poised etc... They're very suited to the Pro-kit and Sportline springs; they're deffo an upgrade. Yes, firmer, but certainly not harsh and the roads around here are bloody awful at the best of times... Some of the local B roads may as well be dirt tracks :lol: 

40 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I've been out in plenty of cars with B6/B8 dampers and the Pro-kit springs and they've never been harsh at all (7 series, 3 series and a few non-BMWs); in fact they all rode superbly, very well balanced and poised etc... They're very suited to the Pro-kit and Sportline springs; they're deffo an upgrade. Yes, firmer, but certainly not harsh and the roads around here are bloody awful at the best of times... Some of the local B roads may as well be dirt tracks :lol: 

I always remember a guy on bimmerforums that uprated his b4s to b6s on his e46 m3. My terminology for harsh is the same as if I said firmer. Harder is harsh to me. He said the b6 shocks were suited to track days. B4s are an oem spec shock I believe. Very similar to oem m sport rates.

B8 are good shocks, far from harsh just quite hard but bloody well planted. I decided to leave that behind on my E36 and go Koni special actives on the E61

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

B8 are good shocks, far from harsh just quite hard but bloody well planted. I decided ot leave that behind on my E36 and go Koni special actives on the E61

Did you fit the koni special actives all round or just the front on the e61?

Did you fit the koni special actives all round or just the front on the e61?
All around m8

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

All around m8

Thanks, will have to look into them as I noticed a slight oil leak on one of my rears. If Mr mot man decides they need changing the decision will be made.

On 27/07/2019 at 00:52, GoNz0 said:

All around m8

Reviving an old thread.

Where did you buy the koni shocks from and can you use lowering springs?

Im looking for shocks for my E60 535d m sport but theres so many different ones and which is right for my car :wacko:

Springs I've decided to go h&r as they are brilliant and don't sit too low.

Larkspeed.

Koni SA's are perfect up to 30mm drop, past that you lose a little of the benefits but still better than stock sport shocks.

12 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

I think h & r are 35mm so should be ok.

While changing the shocks and springs is there anything else you'd recommend to change?

Top mounts; whilst it's all off etc...

Check all the other suspension too; needs to be in good health before you start lowering as if something is already starting to fail; it'll be sped up once lowered as it puts just that bit more pressure on the other components

Ill definitely change the top mounts and any other bushes that don't look good.

Have done the front control arms etc already.

Looked at koni shocks and they're like £130ish per corner, so I'm not going for that, are there any other good quality ones to go for?

Also the h and r say 35mm but thats for se on my msport it'll drop like 5mm which is good enough for me.

4 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

Ill definitely change the top mounts and any other bushes that don't look good.

Have done the front control arms etc already.

Looked at koni shocks and they're like £130ish per corner, so I'm not going for that, are there any other good quality ones to go for?

Also the h and r say 35mm but thats for se on my msport it'll drop like 5mm which is good enough for me.

£130 per corner is a bloody good price...

Sachs will be c£100 a corner

I'd stick with them personally and wouldn't go any cheaper; more so if you're using lowering springs!

Boge Sachs are probably the best all rounders. Bilstein B4's are ok as a standard replacement damper as are the ECP budget brand, Anschler.

Konis are OK but you need top adjust ones. Avoid Monroe and KYB though, they're really not very good. 

I would fit Boge Super Touring units. 

Im gonna go with sachs, i've found them on autodoc and found the ones (with m technology).

Don't know why the other ones come up anyway with my reg, I'll get some front and rear top mounts too.

Thanks for your help.

10 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

Im gonna go with sachs, i've found them on autodoc and found the ones (with m technology).

Don't know why the other ones come up anyway with my reg, I'll get some front and rear top mounts too.

Thanks for your help.

When I was helping my pal with his E60 530D M Sport look for new shocks; the Sachs front part numbers were: 310467 & 310466

Have you looked on eBay for those specific numbers; ie search with 'Sachs 310467' and see what that brings up?

As above; I'd rather pay more & source via UK resellers than ever go near Autodoc

53 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

When I was helping my pal with his E60 530D M Sport look for new shocks; the Sachs front part numbers were: 310467 & 310466

Have you looked on eBay for those specific numbers; ie search with 'Sachs 310467' and see what that brings up?

As above; I'd rather pay more & source via UK resellers than ever go near Autodoc

Thanks, I'll stay well clear of autodoc, didn't realise they were that bad.

I've found a seller on ebay for front and rear shocks with the correct part numbers so fingers crossed thats all good.

1 hour ago, Mo_1986 said:

Thanks, I'll stay well clear of autodoc, didn't realise they were that bad.

I've found a seller on ebay for front and rear shocks with the correct part numbers so fingers crossed thats all good.

Are they UK based and which seller is it?