Norseman

car phone antenna

Hi folks

Having solved the eccentricities of the SIM card size required for the car-phone in my '98 523i I'm now on the hunt for an original (spec.) antenna mast as mine has been broken off just above the screw-in connection point. The window mounted base is undamaged, has the logo KATHREIN on it & a M5 male connection.

Not only are these items, described as 'antenna radiator' rare but although I have the part # 84508369459 from Real-oem I can't find an illustration showing the connecting (base) end of the mast for me to check that it has a female thread. I confess to being a tad dubious about these part numbers, ever since ordering (against the VIN #) a top coolant hose recently only to find it was totally the wrong fit :unsure:

nb.  Thanks to you guys I've now got the right hose & it's being fitted this week.

Edited by Norseman

Update >

Ordered a genuine antenna from Cotswold (thanks Nathan) for £20.60 with forum discount & inc. postage.

Delivered today, fitted & job done :grin:

nb:  I figured that with a car breaker probably wanting a tenner for one, it might be seized onto the thread & damaged by it's removal (as mine was) then either the postage or fuel to collect the thing ...

Hi Norseman,

Sometimes buying from a main dealer makes so much sense ! They do get a lot of stick for pricing but every now and again it's a pleasant surprise when they have very reasonable prices :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Amen Dennis.

Put a smear of CopperEase on the thread before screwing the antenna into the base as it then shouldn't be seized if I have to remove it prior to using an automated wash.