gaza01

Electric blind switch location

What shape is the switch? Is it the same as the radio fader control? If so it may fit in the only available slot on the other side of the radio.

Hi Sutts

I see that your car is listed as being fitted with a manual rear blind S415A. The electric version would be S416A, so someone must have "upgraded" it in the past!

The reason I asked gaza01 what the switch looked like, is that I think it should match the style of the fader control . I  may be wrong!

Hi. Yes I understand mine was a dealer fitted upgrade - I’ve got the fitting instructions somewhere in my paperwork file! I also recently found and bought a dealership accessories brochure at a Bicester meet autojumble which shows the electric rear blind. I didn’t know they could be ordered from the factory.

Here’s a pic of mine in action at Le Mans.

3A118E5D-2EC6-4D2C-8F0C-A0585AF1D5E0.jpeg

Any chance you can scan or pdf the instructions. It would be much appreciated. I guess that Shaun would like a copy as well.

Le Mans. I used to go down every year from the mid '80s until 2005 or so. Would get down, Wednesday afternoon and leave on Monday morning. Nothing quite like sitting in a field in France (without SWMBO)!    

I will - I’m away from home for a few days but will dig it out when I get back. The E30 and E28 accessories brochure is quite interesting too, partly because it’s like new and it feels like you should be able to order from it!

John H,

Good shout, any E28 upgrade instruction are always welcome.

Sutts,

Would you also be able to scan / pdf the accessories brochures too.  Any OEM information on upgrades is like gold especially some of the rare and exotic stuff.

Shaun,

Thanks for shining a light on this upgrade.  Do you have an OEM loom for this, if so can you share the details please and thank you.

Your build is looking "The Mutts".

Currently looking into illuminated sun visor vanity mirrors upgrade details.

The main gap in information is usually the wiring from the accessory connector and whereabouts in the connector the accessories plug in.

I have also seen a thin piece of information on rear door fitted sun blinds for late model E28's, anybody else seen these?

I now know that E28's could have electric rear sun blinds, so were they a late production option which were intended for the later E34 / E32.  If so will this be a source of parts for a retrospective upgrade for E28's.

The work scope for the Eta's just got longer, again :rolleyes:

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick

I'm looking into this for a fellow e28 mate who isn't on here. He has a mint 535 and and just acquired the electric rear blind. I don't think he has any info on the wiring loom.

Appreciate the kind words regarding the build. 

Cheers

If push comes to shove you can make your own loom. I did this for my "third" brake light. Correctly coloured cable is available on the internet and a surprisingly large range of connectors available from BMW.

Hi Ivor,

Constructing the looms is my intent I just need to identify the loom and connector details first.

The future intent is to make small batches for sale to enable other enthusiasts to retrofit E28 upgrades with OEM standard looms.

The looms nearly always get cut / hacked or just plain forgotten.

Enjoy your weekend.

Regards,

Mick

Good idea Mick, I was fortunate that the third brake light I bought from the U.S. had the wires still attached. When they removed it they cut the loom two inches from the plug thereby enabling me to see the correct cable colour coding and also the part no for the plug, terminals were then obtained. I soldered the terminals instead of crimping - which is more effective electrically and is my method of preference anyway.

Regards,

Ivor

Found the fitting instructions, but there’s not much about the wiring and the print has suffered over the years folded up in the manuals wallet:

05FE9A7D-A714-424F-8A2A-97EC0EC91317.jpeg

98585C7B-881F-4A6D-BC12-C5D2141EE7D2.jpeg

Sutts thanks for posting that.

Its an interesting document, in that it doesnt match any other EBA document that I have seen. Does it have a number and date on the bottom?

The other interesting thing is the placement of the switch. "Clip the operating switch provided into one of the recesses in the handbrake console ('5' and '7' models). On '3' series models and '5' and '7' models with full equipment trim, an additional installation hole measuring 38x21mm must be cut (drilled and filed out) in the console. This hole is pre-embossed in some cases."  All very strange as it doesnt mention the obvious location next to the radio! I wonder if the '5' referenced is an E34. That's why I wondered if it had a date on the instructions.

On 26/07/2019 at 17:23, Ordnator said:

I have also seen a thin piece of information on rear door fitted sun blinds for late model E28's, anybody else seen these?

I came across this posted in bmweba.com which now seems to be defunct. Probably because of pressure from bmw.

rear side roller sun blind BMW 3 Series E30, BMW 5 Series E28.pdf

John,

Thank you for sharing this :cool:

That has to be the unicorn of E28 accessories :shock:

Has anybody seen a set or even have a set they are wiling to sell?

Unicorn hunting is in season...

Regards,

Mick