KLR

Help choosing a G30

31 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

I have a feeling you will be in and out if that 5 series just as quickly OP. 

You could be right, hence why I should be looking to minimise the financial damage should I not get on with, some nice options won’t make me hang onto it as it will be the way it drives and just the physical size of the thing. The extra £3.5k I’ll never get back, ive put the registrations through various car valuation sites and more importantly the BMW finance GFV price both car virtually identical after 3 years. 

My wife made a good point yesterday, our daughter will start driving soon, giving her the £3.5k will double her budget and get her into an almost new small hatchback which is safe and reliable, that will make is all happier than some options. As the poster from DK highlighted, it’s all about perspective, the base g30 is a decent car, in any spec.

20 hours ago, KLR said:

Thanks for the reply, are the standard headlights that bad?? If you don't have a reversing camera, what's like to park, are the parking sensors good enough? I've never had a reversing cam so won't miss it. I actually drove an SE and thought it was more comfortable and a decent spec as standard, all the g30 range has decent spec.

The problem with the one with Icon lights is its got the MSport Plus pack with 20" wheels, I found the ride hard. I need to decide by tomorrow, either save myself £3500 and have the cheaper one with 19" wheels but basic spec, or buy the MSport + and put up with the ride. They are both cracking offers but a 530i a few months old for £26.5k is difficult to ignore. I've also test drove the one with icon lights, although done similar millage and a few months younger (19 reg as opposed to 68) it felt a little less well looked after, maybe because it's been kept outdoors and the cheaper one is in a glossy showroom.

Yeah the standard lights are very poor in terms of output - they’re ok in clear weather on dipped beam, but in poor weather they’re awful, and the high beams are atrocious. LED headlights in general are a step back from Xenon in terms of lumens, hence why most don’t have headlight washer systems fitted as standard which is a legal requirement once light output is at a certain level. 

The only thing LED is better at now is being able to provide a wider beam spread through use of individual diodes e.g. adaptive systems and systems with high output LEDs. I would 100% go for a car with ICON if you do a lot of driving like I do or live in darker areas.

You 100% don’t need a reversing camera - the sensors are easily good enough and I’ve never had issues parking. 

Good luck with your decision!

I'm in the same situation need to decide if I spend an extra 1200 on a car with icons or not, both m sport plus but the one with icons has 20s instead of 19s and individual interior trim and extra 4k miles

43 minutes ago, cjp2k said:

I'm in the same situation need to decide if I spend an extra 1200 on a car with icons or not, both m sport plus but the one with icons has 20s instead of 19s and individual interior trim and extra 4k miles

4K miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It’s definitely worth having ICONs 

1 hour ago, Back2Beemer said:

Yeah the standard lights are very poor in terms of output - they’re ok in clear weather on dipped beam, but in poor weather they’re awful, and the high beams are atrocious. LED headlights in general are a step back from Xenon in terms of lumens, hence why most don’t have headlight washer systems fitted as standard which is a legal requirement once light output is at a certain level. 

The only thing LED is better at now is being able to provide a wider beam spread through use of individual diodes e.g. adaptive systems and systems with high output LEDs. I would 100% go for a car with ICON if you do a lot of driving like I do or live in darker areas.

You 100% don’t need a reversing camera - the sensors are easily good enough and I’ve never had issues parking. 

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks that's useful info, I've driven with the standard lights at night but the weather conditions were good, no experience of poor weather night driving.

I find the sensors do a decent job.

53 minutes ago, cjp2k said:

I found the ride with 20 inch was poor, however some fairly good deals with the MSport pack. Are you after petrol or diesel? I thought the 530i offered a good compromise, a friend has a 520d and that seemed quite impressive as well.

if the one with Icon has individual leather then that would seem a good buy.

My biggest concern is my Mercedes has every option going, memory seats, cameras, stereo upgrade, pan roof, adaptive lights etc.

It's going to be a spec downgrade for a bigger quieter car...

On 8/15/2019 at 9:11 PM, GaSelle said:

I do. G30´s are even more basic here in DK. No sat-nav, no ambient light, no M-package. Just 17" alloys, LED lights (non-ICON), park sensors front and rear, cloth seats (electical, no lumbar support), analogue dash. I came from a fully loaded Skoda Superb (my second, both suffered from faulty clutches (DQ200)) so I could trade the Skoda in for my current 520d for a very little amount of money. It was driven my a person from the dealership; 3 months old, 8000 km on the clock.

Would I like more gadgets? Yes, who wouldn´t. But that would mean ordering a new car and speccing it the way I want. And I can´t afford that (read: will not pay that much). 

A standard 520d costs £74800.

Navigation Business is £4675.

Navigation Professional is £6450.

Active Cruise is £2900

M-Sport pack is £12670

Comfort seats is £5500

Lumbar support is £650

Ambient light around the same as above

ICON lights is £3600

HUD is £2850

DAB is £900

Harman/Kardon: £2620

Hifi: £1180

Leatherette (plastic leather): £1400

Leather Dakota: £5200

And I could keep´em coming. So maybe that explains a little better, why our cars in general are lesser equipped. 

I love my base-520d for the feel, the power, the way it drives. And yes, I can live without sat-nav, adaptive cruise, lane assist, blind spot, full electrical seats with memory etc. which I was used to in the Skoda. The BMW is in another league. It has more details (i.e. the color of the dials changes from white to orange at night time), better design, better drivetrain and a better driving experience. 

The only necessary change I´ve done to my car is, that I´ve replaced the horrible standard speakers with some OEM HarmanKardon (four mid-tones, four tweeters - standard was only four mid-tones + the subs under the seats).

Oh, almost forgot. Metallic paint is £2650...

Ouch!

21 hours ago, Zak322 said:

I find standard dipped beams OK but agree with previous comment that main beams are atrocious. I cant understand why dipped and high beams are both placed in the same reflector.

It’s actually not that bad on some Xenon systems, as they use a shutter to control the beam so you get a proper spread of light on main beam.

On the G30’s standard setup there’s a bulb with a cut off for the dipped beam, and then another above it for the main beam, so you still have a huge dark patch between them from the cut off, and it’s exactly where you need the light most. Stupidity. 

23 hours ago, cjp2k said:

I put a offer in on the 5 series with icon lights and 20 inch wheels, they need to find an extra £350 from somewhere, wonder what my chances are

For the sake of £350 and losing a customer I think they’ll budge. Just put pressure on them and say you’ve seen another car elsewhere and if they can’t confirm then you’ll take your business elsewhere.