KLR

Help choosing a G30

2 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

How could the dealer survive on a small admin fee? Those places need money to run

According to the paperwork my dealer showed me (which he admitted he shouldn't) they made a hefty loss on mine once they took into account the trade in (quite generous), the 19% discount and the extra £3.5k off for the HP (which I then cancelled within 3 days without loss of the extra "contribution"). Not how I would run my own business :-)

Edited by Mr H

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

According to the paperwork my dealer showed me (which he admitted he shouldn't) they made a hefty loss on mine once they took into account the trade in (quite generous), the 19% discount and the extra £3.5k off for the HP (which I then cancelled within 3 days without loss of the extra "contribution"). Not how I would run my own business :-)

One thing you can be sure is that he didn't make a loss, I got the same discount on mine and the dealer seemed pretty happy.

1 hour ago, Mr H said:

9 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

One thing you can be sure is that he didn't make a loss, I got the same discount on mine and the dealer seemed pretty happy.

your dealer is supposed to sob and say "I'm losing money on this"

for new cars, I think BMW gives them a bonus for how many cars they shove out the door

Dealer makes a loss? Say a top spec £70k 540i, even with a 20% discount, so down to £56k, the dealer makes massive profit. 

In fact, there’s so much profit that BMW who produce the car is covered, the dealer makes profit, the salesman makes a bonus and if he flogs it on finance from BMW FS, BMW UK happy to chip in even more. 

Not sure what the cost of building the car is, but I’m fairly sure that a big basic 520i SE starting at circa £36k OTR will cost the dealer no more than £20k to give to you as it sits on the showroom floor. 

21 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

here is another 530i m sport with a slight different spec . 32K , 100 miles on 68 plate. It must have been sitting in stock and nobody wanted it

reversing camera

20 inch wheels

Comfort access

M Sport plus package

HK speakers

Lumbar support

Sports seats, electric with memory

etc

https://www.theaa.com/used-cars/cardetails/6-1442510

Thanks for this, that's really helpful as that is unused and as far as I can tell is only missing the HUD from the spec I found. I've never had HUD so maybe a case of not missing what you never had. It's a choice of unused or 5k miles and HUD. 

I think I am going to stick with my budge of £30k and see if they will drop, now that I've decided that I won't go for basic spec, most important are M Sport Plus, Lumber support, reversing camera.

I almost agreed £31700 for the one I mentioned but that takes you close to the next step. For an advertised £33k I can get a similar spec 530d but with ICON lights (no HUD). If I could knock £1k off the 530d then I think I'd rather have the upgraded lights 530d than the 530i with  HUD or No millage. I'd think the resale would be better on the diesel, could be wrong there. 

I drove the 520d which was better than expected hence now considering the 530d over 530i, we only do about 10k a year but the extra torque of the D would be nice, the 30i was certainly quick enough and surprising how smoothly it got to speed, it just didn't "Feel" quick.   

21 hours ago, KLR said:

I'd think the resale would be better on the diesel, could be wrong there. 

Yup you’re wrong here, diesels have plummeted and will continue to do so due to the governments stupidity but hey ho

9 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Yup you’re wrong here, diesels have plummeted and will continue to do so due to the governments stupidity but hey ho

I wouldn't worry about the depreciation, it's pretty heavy for both diesel and gasoline, par for the course though. But a 68 plate 530i is still bound to be worth >£15k in 3 years, that's pretty cheap motoring if you can get one for £32k.

Edited by Johnyboy

Finally getting closer to getting a 5, after going a bit cold on the idea. I think a £21k discount from rrp for a 19 reg is about as good as it will get.

i need to decide between two, both near enough same price, 530i 19 reg

1st car

Msport plus

comfort pack (memory seats and lumber support)

saphire black 

delivery miles only

new car smell!!

£51465 list

2nd car

Msport plus

icon lights

4 zone climate control inc rear heated seats

4k miles

Sophisto grey

Folding Exterior Mirrors Ceramic Finish For Controls

High-Beam Assistant

not brand new

£52225 list

11 hours ago, KLR said:

Finally getting closer to getting a 5, after going a bit cold on the idea. I think a £21k discount from rrp for a 19 reg is about as good as it will get.

1st car

Msport plus

saphire black 

delivery miles only

new car smell!!

£51465 list

2nd car

Msport plus

icon lights

4k miles

Sophisto grey

High-Beam Assistant

not brand new

£52225 list

2nd car, Icons are worth the cars weight in gold as far as I’m concerned 

13 hours ago, KLR said:

1st car

Msport plus

saphire black 

delivery miles only

new car smell!!

£51465 list

2nd car

Msport plus

icon lights

4k miles

Sophisto grey

High-Beam Assistant

not brand new

£52225 list

What price were you offered on the second one, I enquired and was given a poor deal so walked away.

I was told they dont discount cars etc etc....

Also 12.4% apr which was quite a lot

2 hours ago, KLR said:

Thanks for the replies, it’s not discounts of the AUC price, they seemed to be fixed,  

Never found that myself. Always managed to haggle a decent discount off the dealer’s hoped for price.

I've been told by a couple of coopers branches prices are set by head office we are the cheapest etc..

We have benefitted from this however, my wifes 420d was 7k less than the nearest competitor, the dealer said well if head office have done it at that price we will honour it....

9 hours ago, cjp2k said:

I've been told by a couple of coopers branches prices are set by head office we are the cheapest etc..

No such thing anymore with things like CarWow, broad speed etc. If a dealer told me that, I wouldn't utter a word, walk out and take my business elsewhere. 

I have the HUD on my car for the first time, a great bit of kit particularly with speed warning and sat nav. I would now miss not having it.

I rarely worry about the discounts off a car or the trade in value but focus on the cost of change and how much I want to pay. I tell the dealer that figure and let the them work out where they get to on their allowances and trade values. In the case of a lease I do the same, “ this is the car I want, this is the lease I want to pay, this is the car I have to trade, can you as a dealer make this work” Most times with little haggle it does.

On 24/07/2019 at 16:36, CFD said:

Tbf on a combined cycle covering a 300 mile round trip I recently did ~43mpg including only charging at 1 end so the economy isn't wildly different. Style of driving may differ in my example though in fairness.

I'd love a 530d over the 530e but it's a significant extra expense BIK wise and totally not worth it.

Apparently BMW are tooling up for a 545e based on the same setup as the 745e - in which case i'll stick with the e :D

Doing a 300-400-500 mile round trip in my 530D Xdrive M sport and get 58-62 mpg compared to our sales manager in his 530e getting similar to you at 42/43mpg

I also hear rumours BMW are thinking about a M140e combining the new 4 pot in the 135i with an electric motor totalling 400bhp. Will surely go like shit off a shovel, but will people hate it because it's a 4 banger with an electric motor?! It'd do nicely for the missus i reckon and we can both benefit from charging then!

Long journeys the diesels by all accounts then do significantly better economy wise. The only core strength of the hybrid (beyond BIK) is probably shorter journeys then. On my 50 mile round trip from work yesterday and back again today I've clocked in 72mpg but i can't get anywhere near that on a long trip :)

Does anyone have a basic spec G30 and are happy with it? No regrets of not spending money on extra options? 

The 530 in whatever form is a fairly well spaced car even in basic form, ive been offered a good deal on a basic car, 530i, Msport in moonstone, my preferred colour, only option is sun protection, it’s done 4K miles and priced at £26k, registered dec 18 so only 8 months old 68 reg. That’s £3.5k cheaper than the 19 reg  Msport plus one with icon lights, £3.5k is a big difference, come resale will I make up the £3.5k, I don’t think so and the only really value option to me is the icon headlights and Harmon kardon.

I know it depends on everyone’s financial situation but I’m not 100% sure I will get on with the g30, if I need to move it on, will the cheaper basic spec be easier to sell because of it’s cheaper price?

1 hour ago, KLR said:

Does anyone have a basic spec G30 and are happy with it? No regrets of not spending money on extra options? 

The 530 in whatever form is a fairly well spaced car even in basic form, ive been offered a good deal on a basic car, 530i, Msport in moonstone, my preferred colour, only option is sun protection, it’s done 4K miles and priced at £26k, registered dec 18 so only 8 months old 68 reg. That’s £3.5k cheaper than the 19 reg  Msport plus one with icon lights, £3.5k is a big difference, come resale will I make up the £3.5k, I don’t think so and the only really value option to me is the icon headlights and Harmon kardon.

I know it depends on everyone’s financial situation but I’m not 100% sure I will get on with the g30, if I need to move it on, will the cheaper basic spec be easier to sell because of it’s cheaper price?

No, a well specd car will always sell quicker. No you will not get the 3.5k back, but you will enjoy ownership much more. Ask the dealer to give you a 24h test drive in a good spec vs shit spec car, simple

1 hour ago, KLR said:

That's the spec I want, Harmon kardon sound and icon lights, anything else is a bonus

9 hours ago, KLR said:

Mine is pretty much as basic as it gets - 520d SE + electric lumbar support & Harman Kardon.

Spec is all subjective to the owners needs really, but the two things I wish I’d spec’d are Icon lights & Driving Assistance Plus, but keeping it below £40k and P11d value for company car tax were important to me. If it was my own car I would have had added the above. 

Am I happy with the car on a day to day basis, I’d have to say yes.

4 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

Mine is pretty much as basic as it gets - 520d SE + electric lumbar support & Harman Kardon.

Spec is all subjective to the owners needs really, but the two things I wish I’d spec’d are Icon lights & Driving Assistance Plus, but keeping it below £40k and P11d value for company car tax were important to me. If it was my own car I would have had added the above. 

Am I happy with the car on a day to day basis, I’d have to say yes.

Thanks for the reply, are the standard headlights that bad?? If you don't have a reversing camera, what's like to park, are the parking sensors good enough? I've never had a reversing cam so won't miss it. I actually drove an SE and thought it was more comfortable and a decent spec as standard, all the g30 range has decent spec.

The problem with the one with Icon lights is its got the MSport Plus pack with 20" wheels, I found the ride hard. I need to decide by tomorrow, either save myself £3500 and have the cheaper one with 19" wheels but basic spec, or buy the MSport + and put up with the ride. They are both cracking offers but a 530i a few months old for £26.5k is difficult to ignore. I've also test drove the one with icon lights, although done similar millage and a few months younger (19 reg as opposed to 68) it felt a little less well looked after, maybe because it's been kept outdoors and the cheaper one is in a glossy showroom.

11 hours ago, KLR said:

I do. G30´s are even more basic here in DK. No sat-nav, no ambient light, no M-package. Just 17" alloys, LED lights (non-ICON), park sensors front and rear, cloth seats (electical, no lumbar support), analogue dash. I came from a fully loaded Skoda Superb (my second, both suffered from faulty clutches (DQ200)) so I could trade the Skoda in for my current 520d for a very little amount of money. It was driven my a person from the dealership; 3 months old, 8000 km on the clock.

Would I like more gadgets? Yes, who wouldn´t. But that would mean ordering a new car and speccing it the way I want. And I can´t afford that (read: will not pay that much). 

A standard 520d costs £74800.

Navigation Business is £4675.

Navigation Professional is £6450.

Active Cruise is £2900

M-Sport pack is £12670

Comfort seats is £5500

Lumbar support is £650

Ambient light around the same as above

ICON lights is £3600

HUD is £2850

DAB is £900

Harman/Kardon: £2620

Hifi: £1180

Leatherette (plastic leather): £1400

Leather Dakota: £5200

And I could keep´em coming. So maybe that explains a little better, why our cars in general are lesser equipped. 

I love my base-520d for the feel, the power, the way it drives. And yes, I can live without sat-nav, adaptive cruise, lane assist, blind spot, full electrical seats with memory etc. which I was used to in the Skoda. The BMW is in another league. It has more details (i.e. the color of the dials changes from white to orange at night time), better design, better drivetrain and a better driving experience. 

The only necessary change I´ve done to my car is, that I´ve replaced the horrible standard speakers with some OEM HarmanKardon (four mid-tones, four tweeters - standard was only four mid-tones + the subs under the seats).

Oh, almost forgot. Metallic paint is £2650...

Edited by GaSelle

49 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

I do. G30´s are even more basic here in DK. No sat-nav, no ambient light, no M-package. Just 17" alloys, LED lights (non-ICON), park sensors front and rear, cloth seats (electical, no lumbar support), analogue dash. I came from a fully loaded Skoda Superb (my second, both suffered from faulty clutches (DQ200)) so I could trade the Skoda in for my current 520d for a very little amount of money. It was driven my a person from the dealership; 3 months old, 8000 km on the clock.

Would I like more gadgets? Yes, who wouldn´t. But that would mean ordering a new car and speccing it the way I want. And I can´t afford that (read: will not pay that much). 

A standard 520d costs £74800.

Navigation Business is £4675.

Navigation Professional is £6450.

Active Cruise is £2900

M-Sport pack is £12670

Comfort seats is £5500

Lumbar support is £650

Ambient light around the same as above

ICON lights is £3600

HUD is £2850

DAB is £900

Harman/Kardon: £2620

Hifi: £1180

Leatherette (plastic leather): £1400

Leather Dakota: £5200

And I could keep´em coming. So maybe that explains a little better, why our cars in general are lesser equipped. 

I love my base-520d for the feel, the power, the way it drives. And yes, I can live without sat-nav, adaptive cruise, lane assist, blind spot, full electrical seats with memory etc. which I was used to in the Skoda. The BMW is in another league. It has more details (i.e. the color of the dials changes from white to orange at night time), better design, better drivetrain and a better driving experience. 

The only necessary change I´ve done to my car is, that I´ve replaced the horrible standard speakers with some OEM HarmanKardon (four mid-tones, four tweeters - standard was only four mid-tones + the subs under the seats).

Oh, almost forgot. Metallic paint is £2650...

Wow, that put some perspective to it!! Are those prices really in UK £. I can see why the options are not that common. We are lucky in the UK, £26.5k gives a almost new  530i Msport for the cost of 4 or options in dK. Thanks for the info.

i test drove both and considering the cheaper one gives me 95% of what I wanted and £3.5k saving then that’s what I’ll go with. Our Lexus has lots of extras, I hardly use any of them, the sat Nav I’ve used twice in 4 years, that’s when my phone was dead. It’s more about the actual driving for me, and a base car does that just as well.

what has confirmed it for, I put both registrations into we buy any car, and they valued them at zero. There was £800 difference but that would be down to one being a dec 2018 68 reg and the other March 2019 19 reg, that’s 5k of extras worth zero according to them. Everyone would like a fully specced car but bang for buck is the cheaper one.

Yes, webuyanycar is rather odd that way. If you take (for instance) a Vx Insignia their quote depends on the variant - base car, CDTI etc.; but for a BMW where there isn’t a variant per se though options can double the base list price they don’t seem to take anything into account apart from cc. Selling back into the dealer chain is different though.