Jump to content
KLR

Help choosing a G30

Recommended Posts

Hi all, just joined the forum as I’ve been researching the G30. I keep changing my mind which model to go for, a bit of background, I’m not looking for a brand new car and will be buying cash, I have a budget of max £30k which seems to get me a lightly used one, some with delivery mileage. I only do about 8 to 10k per year, so won’t really make use of a diesel. I currently have a Lexus IS300h so used to the hybrid setup which I like, reliability and build quality is excellent on that car by the way!

 

so, the options I have seen are below, id appricate any help choosing, could I do better? 

 

530i M-Sport with delivery miles,  no options at £29k

 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903065617117?radius=1500&maximum-mileage=500&model=5%20SERIES&postcode=se83eu&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=530i&make=BMW&page=1

 

530e M-Sport wit delivery miles, no options at £31.5k

 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905318540587?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&maximum-mileage=500&model=5%20SERIES&sort=price-asc&postcode=se83eu&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=530e&make=BMW&page=1

 

am I correct, that the 530e is basically a 520i with a battery?

 

the other one that has come up in an auction 10 minutes from me - 540i 2017 17 reg, 14.5k miles, service done  12.6.19 grey  metallic, retail condition. All was fine until I noticed this picture with the engine management light one. The car still has bmw warranty for another 10 months, any idea what it could be, maybe after the service something has not been reset

 

What would be a reasonable bid for this, including fees? I was thinking £25k only because it’s a 2017, it will go for more than that though.

 

sorry for all the questions, as you can see, I’m not too focused on what I want to buy!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2C3DA9A2-890B-444E-AD8F-0D2BD3278AD2.jpeg

398B9EAE-657A-4CC5-A963-A89FA0B636BD.jpeg

Edited by KLR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KLR said:

Hi all, just joined the forum as I’ve been researching the G30. I keep changing my mind which model to go for, a bit of background, I’m not looking for a brand new car and will be buying cash, I have a budget of max £30k which seems to get me a lightly used one, some with delivery mileage. I only do about 8 to 10k per year, so won’t really make use of a diesel. I currently have a Lexus IS300h so used to the hybrid setup which I like, reliability and build quality is excellent on that car by the way!

 

so, the options I have seen are below, id appricate any help choosing, could I do better? 

 

530i M-Sport with delivery miles,  no options at £29k

 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903065617117?radius=1500&maximum-mileage=500&model=5%20SERIES&postcode=se83eu&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=530i&make=BMW&page=1

 

530e M-Sport wit delivery miles, no options at £31.5k

 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905318540587?advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&maximum-mileage=500&model=5%20SERIES&sort=price-asc&postcode=se83eu&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=530e&make=BMW&page=1

 

am I correct, that the 530e is basically a 520i with a battery?

 

the other one that has come up in an auction 10 minutes from me - 540i 2017 17 reg, 14.5k miles, service done  12.6.19 grey  metallic, retail condition. All was fine until I noticed this picture with the engine management light one. The car still has bmw warranty for another 10 months, any idea what it could be, maybe after the service something has not been reset

 

What would be a reasonable bid for this, including fees? I was thinking £25k only because it’s a 2017, it will go for more than that though.

 

sorry for all the questions, as you can see, I’m not too focused on what I want to buy!!

 

 

 

Engine light could be due to many things and I'd want to get that checked out first. A diagnostic scan is required to understand the area of concern and maybe that's why it is at auction?

 

The 530e does have a version of the 2l 4 cylinder engine along with its electric motor.

 

All depends on what you are actually looking for. Do you do mainly long distance journeys? If so I'd think carefully about getting the 530e as you will easily discharge the batteries leaving you lugging around all that battery dead weight. If a good deal of town driving then definitely consider the 530e. 

 

Also consider what options you "need". The icon headlights are superior to the standard LED lights and I, personally, wouldn't have one of these cars without. Uprated sound, at least a reverse camera and my personal list goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply, yes auction one is risky even though it will be covered by BMW, speaking with the person who first notified me of it, auctions prices are almost retail and reckons it will go fir £25k plus, if it’s £27/28 then you might as well go for a retail one.

 

my commute/school run is about 20 miles round trip and occasionally do a longer run, I was concerned about the long term reliability of the hybrids and the additional complexity of them, however, I understand that the hybrid part was developed with Toyota which is a big plus for me.

 

Im considering the 530i, I can’t really afford to have too many options and i’ve already gone over budget, the base 530i does seem to be a nice place to be in, doesn’t seem to have much of a followings on this board though, any reason apart from mission two cylinders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KLR said:

Thanks for the reply, yes auction one is risky even though it will be covered by BMW, speaking with the person who first notified me of it, auctions prices are almost retail and reckons it will go fir £25k plus, if it’s £27/28 then you might as well go for a retail one.

 

my commute/school run is about 20 miles round trip and occasionally do a longer run, I was concerned about the long term reliability of the hybrids and the additional complexity of them, however, I understand that the hybrid part was developed with Toyota which is a big plus for me.

 

Im considering the 530i, I can’t really afford to have too many options and i’ve already gone over budget, the base 530i does seem to be a nice place to be in, doesn’t seem to have much of a followings on this board though, any reason apart from mission two cylinders?

 

I’d be very happy with a 530i, sure it has 4 cylinders but it is a good engine and ultimately the car is so well insulated is the roar of a 6 cylinder engine a necessity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KLR said:

Thanks for the reply, yes auction one is risky even though it will be covered by BMW, speaking with the person who first notified me of it, auctions prices are almost retail and reckons it will go fir £25k plus, if it’s £27/28 then you might as well go for a retail one.

 

my commute/school run is about 20 miles round trip and occasionally do a longer run, I was concerned about the long term reliability of the hybrids and the additional complexity of them, however, I understand that the hybrid part was developed with Toyota which is a big plus for me.

 

Im considering the 530i, I can’t really afford to have too many options and i’ve already gone over budget, the base 530i does seem to be a nice place to be in, doesn’t seem to have much of a followings on this board though, any reason apart from mission two cylinders?

 

Keep in mind the fully electric range is ~20 miles for most of us in the 530e. So your school trip would (possibly) fit inside of that with careful driving - so if you charge it per day then your fuel costs are just extra leccy costs most of the time. When you venture further afield the economy won't always be fantastic, but I charge sporadically and I'm managing 42mpg combined currently. If I charged more frequently and didn't drive with a heavy foot then it'd be more i'm sure.

 

The 530i has the same (ish) power as the 530e but at least it has that power all the time - and the economy compared to a non-charged 530e shouldn't be worlds apart.

 

Tough choice. I'd be wary of the auction 540i though otherwise I'd absolutely love one. Only have a 530e for BIK reasons tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies, I went to my local dealer yesterday and had another sit in one as I'm still unsure if it' going to be too big, however I will be going with the 30i engine. 

 

I also sat in the new 3 series G20, I must admit that I found the size better and the seating position more suited. The 5 series seats seem a bit hard but the new 3 use Vernasca leather which seems softer and more comfortable. The new dash is also very nice. Without much trying I can get 14% off a new 330i, that make it more competitive, plus will be brand new, new 69 reg and save £340 x 5 £1700 on road tax. Seriously considering the 3 series now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a nice car but quite honestly chalk and cheese compared with a 5 series. The 3 is targeted at the mass medium-saloon market and whilst its performance and handling are BMW it’s nowhere near a 5 for features and ride. You pays your money and .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Boba said:

Still a nice car but quite honestly chalk and cheese compared with a 5 series. The 3 is targeted at the mass medium-saloon market and whilst its performance and handling are BMW it’s nowhere near a 5 for features and ride. You pays your money and .....

Are you talking about the new G20? it's a massive step up from the outgoing F30. Interior quality I'd say is better than the 5 and feels more modern. Performance from the 330i engine is slightly up 190kw 258hp vs 185kw 252hp  - 0-60 5.8 vs 6.1. not driven one yet but I'd also think the handling will be sharper on the 3 as lighter.

 

Resale values on the 5 are also a bit of a concern, lots of dealers have management stock and they are not shifting easily, this could work in my favour as I'm after a Pre Reg and still may opt for the 5 as cheaper. I wouldn't agree with chalk and cheese, the gap is much narrower now with the g20.

 

 

bmw-3-series-2019-price-new-singapore-m340i-carbuyer-15-1024x587.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boba said:

Still a nice car but quite honestly chalk and cheese compared with a 5 series. The 3 is targeted at the mass medium-saloon market and whilst its performance and handling are BMW it’s nowhere near a 5 for features and ride. You pays your money and .....

 

I was reading somewhere the G30 is the same size as the 7 series 20 years ago

 

All models are growing bigger.  The 3 is slightly bigger and with better refinement than the preceding model. It must be close in size to a  5 series a few generations back.   I would definitely have a look at the 340i touring when it comes the time .    Probably still end up with a G30 

 

the mass market range car nowadays is some midrange SUV. They always give way

Edited by Carrera77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, TheDarkLord said:

530e all day long.  

Was my first choice but concerned to run on out of warranty, lots of these around now and lots more due to come off company leases which will hit resale as not that popular with private buyers.  I’m hoping the 30i will be a good long term alternative, test driving the 330i g20 today so still indecided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KLR said:

Was my first choice but concerned to run on out of warranty, lots of these around now and lots more due to come off company leases which will hit resale as not that popular with private buyers.  I’m hoping the 30i will be a good long term alternative, test driving the 330i g20 today so still indecided.

I say go for what makes you happy :) The G20's look great tbf, though i do prefer the 5 series personally. Can understand why the 530e not that popular privately, and tbf i'd go for a 530d given a choice privately with the high miles i do. Otherwise if i did fewer miles I'd love a 540.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at 530e and discounted it because the range is 15-20 miles so unless you do a 15 mile commute with charging at both ends it doesnt work. IMO the technology is not mature enough yet. I went for a 530d MSport fully loaded. I've seen 67 mpg in a trial 55mph run and in regular use its easy get 45 mpg with oodles of torgue, refinement, speed, space, storage  etc etc.  The new 3 series is dimensionally the sames size as the E39 5 series - im sure its great, try both and see. but theres just something better about a 6 cylinder engine......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JOhnKE39530d said:

I looked at 530e and discounted it because the range is 15-20 miles so unless you do a 15 mile commute with charging at both ends it doesnt work. IMO the technology is not mature enough yet. I went for a 530d MSport fully loaded. I've seen 67 mpg in a trial 55mph run and in regular use its easy get 45 mpg with oodles of torgue, refinement, speed, space, storage  etc etc.  The new 3 series is dimensionally the sames size as the E39 5 series - im sure its great, try both and see. but theres just something better about a 6 cylinder engine......

Tbf on a combined cycle covering a 300 mile round trip I recently did ~43mpg including only charging at 1 end so the economy isn't wildly different. Style of driving may differ in my example though in fairness.

 

I'd love a 530d over the 530e but it's a significant extra expense BIK wise and totally not worth it.

 

Apparently BMW are tooling up for a 545e based on the same setup as the 745e - in which case i'll stick with the e :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KLR said:

Was my first choice but concerned to run on out of warranty, lots of these around now and lots more due to come off company leases which will hit resale as not that popular with private buyers.  I’m hoping the 30i will be a good long term alternative, test driving the 330i g20 today so still indecided.

 

Get an extended warranty, it's not that expensive, it will probably pay for itself with a single fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had my 530i for just over 2 months and I love it.

 

I previously had a 520D and wanted to move away from diesel and the 530i is so much faster, smoother and much more responsive.

 

I thought about the 530e but the loss of boot depth was more of an issue for me over gaining less than 20 miles of electric range.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info, I took a back to back test drive of a G20 330i M Sport and 520d SE. 330i has an amazing amount of kit in it as standard, pin sharp info screen but the ride was too hard for me, it looked great and  the interior quality is very good, leather better than Dakota.

 

So, thinking I’m going to be disappointed by the 520d se.... far from it! The ride was excellent even though the interior was not as modern looking, very surprised how well the SE was fitted, more importantly it didn’t feel massive, this was the point that got me looking the G20.

 

So, I’m back to looking at a 5 series, I can’t afford a new one, I showed the dealer what I had found, ie a delivery millage 68 reg 530i, basic spec, no options black at £29.5k

 

he couldn’t find me a delivery millage one but found a 68 reg 5k miles priced at £32K in moonstone. The spec is much better

 

msport plus pack

comfort pack

hud

wireless changing 

lumber support

heated steering wheel 

powered bootlid

Fineline ridge pearl trim

split folding seats.

 

I had a max budget of £30k for a used 5 series, I’m assuming the better optioned one would be the better buy but I can’t see them coming down to £30k, they originally wanted £34k. I could go to £32k but might try to get free service to seal the deal. I’m a bit worried by the 20 inch alloys and the ride will not be as good as a SE.

 

 

Edited by KLR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not go for a basic bitch spec car. You will regret it after literally one week.

 

apart from missing adaptive LEDs that 530i with all that kit seems an absolutely lovely car. I would much rather have the basic engine and lots of spec rather than bigger engine and no spec. Both car drive the same in traffic/at 70mph, but the one with good kit will be much nicer to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Do not go for a basic bitch spec car. You will regret it after literally one week.

 

apart from missing adaptive LEDs that 530i with all that kit seems an absolutely lovely car. I would much rather have the basic engine and lots of spec rather than bigger engine and no spec. Both car drive the same in traffic/at 70mph, but the one with good kit will be much nicer to be in.

 

+1 to that - aside from the icons that is a very good spec. HUD and lumbar support are well sought after. And only 5k miles - plenty warranty to run still. Worth trying to squeeze it into budget!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone, I think I’ll go for that one,  they say that they are down to bare minimum profit wise and only making a small admin fee, it gives them another sale. I’ll maybe try to squeeze out a free next service or something.

 

how is ride with the msport  20”? Must cost a packet to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

520d SE is an OK car. Unlike the base spec of some other cars,  it has the same suspension, handling and performance. Its just the 17 inch wheels look a bit small.  At the minimum I would get the sun protection glass and reversing camera. Probably the seats are crap but then some people here hate any BMW seats :lol:

 

Other cars (like the VW Golf for instance) have cheapened suspension on the rear and other downgrades in performance and handling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

here is another 530i m sport with a slight different spec . 32K , 100 miles on 68 plate. It must have been sitting in stock and nobody wanted it

 

reversing camera

20 inch wheels

Comfort access

M Sport plus package

HK speakers

Lumbar support

Sports seats, electric with memory

etc

 

https://www.theaa.com/used-cars/cardetails/6-1442510

Edited by Carrera77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×