What the hell were car enthusiasts playing at in Stevenage last night, 70mph in a built up area, surely if you want to rag your motor then the track, and not a public Rd is the place to do it.

I hope the injured, and there were multiple, pull through ok.

Its not just Stevenage though,these antics go on all over the country every night of the week,you,ve only got to see the videos on Youtube that get posted,

I think the organisers of the meet in Stevenage are trying to distance themselves from these idiots,by saying it was a static car meet with strict warnings against unsociable behaviour.

I sometimes used to deliver to Imperial Way,Croydon on a Sunday afternoon where a similar thing used to go on but it was motorbikes and Quads,with literally hundreds of people spectating while the bikes did burnouts and stunts up and down the road,not much fun for me crawling up the road in a 44 tonner with all lights and beacons on while these idiots were flying around me,

I believe 2 riders were killed on seperate occasions and eventually the meet up dwindled to nothing.

I've seen the video. Both drivers contributed to the accident. One was speeding by quite a bit for that road, and the other pulled out without proper observation. The crowds standing near the road obstructing the view didn't help either. 

I don't understand why the driver who pulled out continued driving into the crowd as he was moving at walking pace. An accident that could have been avoided if neither drivers were trying to show off. 

They were kids, we were all kids once, just with less powerful cars and no digital connection. And much less stupidity.

11 hours ago, roofer said:

They were kids, we were all kids once, just with less powerful cars and no digital connection. And much less stupidity.

Or maybe we got lucky...

I was never that daft but certainly had a few "moments" as a youth.

Its not big or clever but kids will always show off be it the ton up cafe racers, mods and rockers, 70's customs, max power or these meets.

Obviously its bad when things go wrong and i'm sorry for those hurt but i do;t think we an get to daily mail about it.

On 21/07/2019 at 12:50, duncan-uk said:

Or maybe we got lucky...

I was never that daft but certainly had a few "moments" as a youth.

Its not big or clever but kids will always show off be it the ton up cafe racers, mods and rockers, 70's customs, max power or these meets.

Obviously its bad when things go wrong and i'm sorry for those hurt but i do;t think we an get to daily mail about it.

I think a lot of us got pretty lucky back then, the trouble is kids today, and we were probably the same, have no sense of their own  mortality,  it's when you get a bit older, and more experienced, that a bit of self- preservation kicks in. 

Another contributing factor has to be the cheap power available in cars these days. When I were a spotty yoof back in the early '70s an affordable car for my peer group would be a 1960's throwback, Minis were popular, but most went for old Fords, or Vauxhalls and the majority would be chucking out double figure BHP. Wheelspins were achievable only in the wet and drifting was something you only saw in American road movies.

Now even standard cars are 100+ BHP and modifying and tuning means 150-200bhp from simple cars like Civics and Fiestas without mind bending investment!.

I was at Ecotune in Glasgow not so long back and there were a bunch of guys in their early 20s playing with a modified CRX which was showing 288BHP on the dyno.