nealpina

Ford Cortina MK IV 2.3 Ghia or a E21 323i as a daily

Having had both, and driving in london, i’d go with the cortina with the slush box. Waftness is high.

Trouble is, they are very, very nickable. The Granada isn't that much bigger but is much better because it has proper independent rear suspension and not a vaguely connected live axle. 

Cortinas are too much money for not a very good car. A mate's just bought a very nice 2002 540i - ULEZ compliant - for less than a decent condition Cortina. Go figure. 

35 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Cortinas are too much money for not a very good car. A mate's just bought a very nice 2002 540i - ULEZ compliant - for less than a decent condition Cortina. Go figure. 

N62 equipped E60s are in that bracket now and are ULEZ compliant.

Most Mk1 and 11 Granada's were bought by the banger racing boys for their massive shells so are rare too.

I'll happily admit that one of the main reasons I bought an e39 is because Ford stopped making rwd cars (I do have a rwd Transit that'll go sideways without much provocation....) so it would have to be the Cortina for me, I'm not sure I'd want to daily one though! That said, someone near me has one that seems to be their everyday car as I see it regularly (and it's a mk4 2.3 Ghia) but they've gone for a sort of Mad Max interceptor look with it (matt black and laquered over rust body panels, big black steel wheels, blacked out lights) and it's completely ruined it IMO. :(

15 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Last time I saw one was June 2003!

Saying that, and a longshot.  I remember seeing an immaculate white 2.3 Ghia MK IV either in Basildon or Chelmsford in the mid-noughties

On 15/07/2019 at 20:53, roofer said:

Having had both

therefore Roofer any chance this was you?  

Thanks all for your replies 

As we are all BMW enthusiasts and on a Bimmer forum, I am surprised that everyone has said the Tina.  To be fair (and briefly already mentioned) RWD was the decline of Ford (oh and making their last RWD car looking like a frog ;) ).

If I was going to buy a Ford Granada it will be something rare like a MK I Estate, or a Limousine just to be different.

If the idea becomes a reality of owning an older car.  I will then fit a Cat 1alarm, retro fit air con and power or electronic steering.  I will also look into ABS retro fitting (not sure if this can be done, but before anyone asks: ‘Yes I can drive without ABS and other safety aids :) ) .

Also something I didn’t think about of the original post ideally will need to be 4 door.  My dream Cortina is Mk III 2000E,  but retro fit coke bottle eyes, install a V8, spray it Mora Metallic, and upgrade to big fat wheels.  However not sure why, but a MK IV 2.3 Ghia V6 is ticking all of my boxes at the moment 

Edited by nealpina

You are forgetting that we are all secretly massive Ford fans on this forum. That's why we all drive BMWs due to

• lack of RWD Fords
  • We aren't old enough to own a Merc
  • We don't play golf so not allowed to own a Jaaaaaaaag
  • We don't belong to a Masonic Lodge so not allowed to own a Lexus.

8 hours ago, nealpina said:

Saying that, and a longshot.  I remember seeing an immaculate white 2.3 Ghia MK IV either in Basildon or Chelmsford in the mid-noughties

therefore Roofer any chance this was you?  

No :D my last one was around 86/7

10 hours ago, nealpina said:

I will also look into ABS retro fitting (not sure if this can be done, but before anyone asks: ‘Yes I can drive without ABS and other safety aids :) ) .

Did any sierras come with ABS? If so i would have thought some sort of retrofit i would assume be possible as the underpinnings are much the same i think?

Although i'm thinking it was perhaps some sort of mechanical system - my dad had loan granada with it (E plate i think)

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

You are forgetting that we are all secretly massive Ford fans on this forum. That's why we all drive BMWs due to

• lack of RWD Fords
  • We aren't old enough to own a Merc
  • We don't play golf so not allowed to own a Jaaaaaaaag
  • We don't belong to a Masonic Lodge so not allowed to own a Lexus.

True, but why a Merc or a Jag (unless it’s a AMG or a XF R-s etc). BMW overall are better to drive :)

I thought the Masonic Lodge was this forum ;)

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Did any sierras come with ABS? If so i would have thought some sort of retrofit i would assume be possible as the underpinnings are much the same i think?

Interesting.  Yes they did, about 10 years ago I would have known years, models, and trim which had this as standard. My previous 2000E had this as standard.  

Edited by nealpina

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Although i'm thinking it was perhaps some sort of mechanical system - my dad had loan granada with it (E plate i think)

My Sierra xr4x4 V6 had ABS :)

Edited by boiliebasher

I had four of five Cortinas between 1986 and 1992, mostly 1.6L with a 2.3 Ghia and a 2.0 GLS. They were okay but not that great, and that was then!

Lots of cars are ULEZ compliant such as the N52 535i/530i. They're worth peanuts now and a lot nicer than an old Cortina.   

17 hours ago, nealpina said:

My dream Cortina is Mk III 2000E,  but retro fit coke bottle eyes, install a V8, spray it Mora Metallic, and upgrade to big fat wheels.  However not sure why, but a MK IV 2.3 Ghia V6 is ticking all of my boxes at the moment 

Had the MKIII 2 litre GXL. Probably the smoothest gearbox I have ever driven. You might have to import one from somewhere it doesn't rain. Also had the MKIV but was never tempted to change the colour scheme to the one I once saw at Earls Court. It is that long ago that they may not have had colour photographs then.

Starsky&Hutch6[1].jpg

6 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

a 2000E Sierra .. I remember these as being a really nice car .. 

Always regretted selling mine but I found TotalBMW and this made my enthusiasm for BMW increased tenfold.  The 2000E had more leather as standard than a Cosworth.  AIr Con was standard, and the only 4 pot sapphire (not Cossie) which had a fuel range - worked well until you had 18 miles remaining when it misread and should have read empty :lol:

6 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

I had a Granada 2.8 Injection .. spoilers, pearl white TRX alloys , Recaros.. don't see many of them now 

Nice any photos?