nealpina

Ford Cortina MK IV 2.3 Ghia or a E21 323i as a daily

3 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

^ Because its what we do :lol:

I remember pouring over the Cortina Mk V brochure when my dad was choosing his next cortina KNT 13 W if i recall 1.6 GL in meadow green which he debadged as just after he got a promotion which meant he could of had the 2.0!

I recall the colour names like Fjord blue, terracotta, signal yellow and that the GL had pads in the headrests where as the L just had hoops.

The GL the steel minilite look rims and the L the slotted steel etc :ph34r:

My high school teacher purchased a brand new  1981 meadow green Cortina 16 GL  I was honoured with collecting her books from the boot :lol: 

I remember the boot springing  up and the smell of the newness 

22 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

The GL the steel minilite look rims and the L the slotted steel etc :ph34r:

Don't you mean 'Sports Road Wheels' and 'Styled Road Wheels' Duncan? :lol::lol:

Agree with the looking back through rose tinted spectacles comment by Duncan , compared to modern motors, safety, performance, whatever yardstick you use, the old stuff is crap, that is progress for you, I daren't wonder how many lives have been saved by air bags, improved crumple zones, ABS, etc.

Yes and wider grippier tyres. The mkv's ive had would spin out on roundabouts at anything over 25 mph and that was with Goodyear Grand Prix' X tyres on abight their size at 165 width.

43 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

I daren't wonder how many lives have been saved by air bags, improved crumple zones, ABS, etc.

Undoubtably that’s true but by the same token i do wonder if driving has been dumbed down and cars are so competent and have so many safety features like traction, lane assist etc that we rely to much on them to get us out of trouble. Modern cars are so good I imagine when it goes wrong it’s not pretty. 

21 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Undoubtably that’s true but by the same token i do wonder if driving has been dumbed down and cars are so competent and have so many safety features like traction, lane assist etc that we rely to much on them to get us out of trouble. Modern cars are so good I imagine when it goes wrong it’s not pretty. 

Yes, driving, and the skill of driving has probably been dumbed down by all the more modern safety features, and technology integrated into the car, and also probably made drivers less risk adverse when they get behind the wheel, which makes the roads more dangerous for all road users.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Wikipedia? ;)

I'll be honest, I do have a quick google if I think I know something but can't 100% remember but I'm usually right (not blowing me own trumpet or anything....B)!), years and years of reading car mags when I was younger has had some benefit. :D

1 hour ago, Steve van hool said:

Yes, driving, and the skill of driving has probably been dumbed down by all the more modern safety features, and technology integrated into the car, and also probably made drivers less risk adverse when they get behind the wheel, which makes the roads more dangerous for all road users.

My last Sierra had no ABS, no traction control, no power steering, relatively skinny tyres, very short gearing and lots of torque, if you weren't careful with it, it WOULD catch you out, and that was in the dry! If you wanted to drive it quickly you had to grab it by the scruff and drive it, it wasn't forgiving at all if you got it wrong, it was bloody good fun though!

1 hour ago, bigrigbri said:

Yes and wider grippier tyres. The mkv's ive had would spin out on roundabouts at anything over 25 mph and that was with Goodyear Grand Prix' X tyres on abight their size at 165 width.

I actually remember my first drive on Gran Prix S tyres, they were a revelation ! 

Previous tyres were crossplies mind :mrgreen:

Interestingly, talking about faults in old cars, this thread has turned full circle now as I vividly recall putting a bag of cement in the boot of my 2nd generation E30 BMW 320i in the winter to prevent a visit to the ditch.  They were deadly for the back end wanting to be at the front.

On 02/08/2019 at 17:54, Steve van hool said:

Throw into the mix the fact modern cars are without doubt quicker and more powerful, but driving methods and teaching have hardly changed since the days of the Morris Minor. Granted driving pupils these days get taught how to use a sat-nav and the do some motorway training, but what to do when you skid, awareness of other road users, road conditions etc. don't really come into it. I think all drivers should undergo some motorcycle training, that would certainly instill a level of awareness not engendered by sitting in a car!

After being caught out by black ice and having a close call with the grim reaper in my youth, I am surprised that the new driving tests and theory are not preceded by some form of anti skid instruction.  ABS is incredible but some hands on experience would not go amiss.

10 hours ago, pauliexjr said:

Throw into the mix the fact modern cars are without doubt quicker and more powerful, but driving methods and teaching have hardly changed since the days of the Morris Minor. Granted driving pupils these days get taught how to use a sat-nav and the do some motorway training, but what to do when you skid, awareness of other road users, road conditions etc. don't really come into it. I think all drivers should undergo some motorcycle training, that would certainly instill a level of awareness not engendered by sitting in a car!

Yes, valid points  and maybe get cyclists to sit in a truck to realise the drivers blind spots, the DAF XF series truck has a very tall cab with a massive forward blind spot through the front screen even with mirrors, as well as the N/side blind spot.

Like anyone else who drives HGVs, I don't get to keep my licence unless I do 35 hours of driver training in every five years. So a day per year. The application of this requirement is down to our government. But the EU came up with the idea because their study found that better trained drivers are safer drivers. I wonder what the reaction would be if all other road users had to follow suit? :lol:

On 05/08/2019 at 17:04, Steve van hool said:

Yes, valid points  and maybe get cyclists to sit in a truck to realise the drivers blind spots, the DAF XF series truck has a very tall cab with a massive forward blind spot through the front screen even with mirrors, as well as the N/side blind spot.

Totally off topic, but don't get me started on the narccisitic, self-centred, arrogant twats that make up a large proportion of the UK cycling fraternity! I followed 5 of the lycra-clad pedal merchants down the A82 alongside Loch Lomond on Tuesday, it was chcuking it down with rain yet these clowns were riding two and three abreast and giving the following traffic no opportunity to overtake. They eventually caught up with another three who were waiting at the side of the road who promptly pulled into the stream of traffic causing lots of people to brake and proceeded to weave in and out of the slow moving cars and vans for about 4 miles! It was only when we got to Tarbert and the road widened appreciably could anyone get past them. :angry::angry::angry:

Back on topic- I had an E21 323i a few years ago. Alpina alloys, Recaro seats, she was a real beauty. But it was so front heavy, I just couldn't trust it in a corner. Think the six cylinder was a little too much weight for such a tiny car. I really wished that I'd bought a four pot instead.

3712143129_337a641451_z.jpgMeanwhile, back in the 80s... by Olivers Travels, on Flickr

3646140199_752f0e9240_z.jpgE21 by Olivers Travels, on Flickr

Edited by 5mithy

Reference the previous topic, they are everywhere!

A green 'walkway' has been developed here in Belfast to the east of the city.  It runs for many miles and for use by pedestrians with pets but also cyclists.  Needless to say the Tour De France brigade consider it to be for their sole use, riding 2-3 abreast. they get very annoyed when they have to slow down when you do not get out of their way, not considering for a moment that as your back is to them, you cannot hear them coming.   I had a recent altercation with one of them who was very aggrieved at having to stop.  Being older now and not afraid of getting punched I said to him would he do me a favour when he got home and take a long hard look in the mirror to see just how f.....g ridiculous he looked in all that lycra get up.  He simply stormed off.

Are all Tina Convertibles Crayford?  If not any factory built cars?  

Am I correct that MK I & MK II were never pickups?

Apart from what is on the Crayford website any extra information with Tina's convertible?  and extra info with the pickups

12 hours ago, nealpina said:

Am I correct that MK I & MK II were never pickups?

https://www.classiccarratings.com/auction-results/ford-cortina-mk3-pick-up-1976--31st-january-2015-6542

Never saw a MK III pickup let alone a MKI or MKII. P100 is the model number I was trying to remember :)

Edited by whiskychaser