nealpina

Ford Cortina MK IV 2.3 Ghia or a E21 323i as a daily

You can well imagine the impact this had in 1972 though.  There were shades of the Ford Mercury from that era in the design, and that may well be where the inspiration for the ' white top ' idea came from.

Have to agree on the footpath comment.. It hasn't been parked. More abandoned!

index.jpg

20190729_134958.jpg.0f483f6034ea9944abd48f4bd6929808.jpg

Edited by oldjohnny
Add photo.

1 hour ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The GXL had a black vinyl roof - the white doesn't look right at all. Looks as though its been done recently as the GXL badge and the finisher trim is missing. 

When the car was restored not that long ago, it did have a black roof.  This looks like that has been removed completely.  Maybe it's just being redone, and this is an interim stage or something.

I have a vague memory of the vinyl roof being available in black, tan and white - but I could be mistaken.

My mk5 Cortina 2.3 ghia x, was a very nice motor to smoke around in 1988,  Vaux Cavaliers, not even in the same ballpark unless it was an SRI, Maxi, Ital, Princess, no thanks.

The build quality was not in the same league as BM, or Mercs, but Cortina's were a bread and butter car, not a premium.

20170321_133224.jpg

26 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Looking like the twin headlamps model is better looking than the facelift rectangular lamps model, though the facelift had a much better dashboard, the early one was awful.

Twin headlamps were a bit dated by the time the facelift came - think Zephyr Mk 4 - but looking back, they are better looking. As good as candles as far as lighting the road went though!

Early dash was awful. I can see what they were trying to do, but it didn’t work. 

ADCF7A97-20BD-45D0-BCA3-8F9463B40DC3.jpeg

8 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I quite like my model Mk3 collection...….

C701CAA2-E817-4465-8A1D-2E6D65F9F0F7.jpeg

Very nice :)

Thanks for sharing 

Do you have photos of your entire collection which is already uploaded on the internet?

4 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

My mk5 Cortina 2.3 ghia x, was a very nice motor to smoke around in 1988,  Vaux Cavaliers, not even in the same ballpark unless it was an SRI, Maxi, Ital, Princess, no thanks.

The build quality was not in the same league as BM, or Mercs, but Cortina's were a bread and butter car, not a premium.

20170321_133224.jpg

Very nice.

Agreed with the ballpark.

Your thoughts on the 2.3 Tina?

29 minutes ago, nealpina said:

Very nice.

Agreed with the ballpark.

Your thoughts on the 2.3 Tina?

The 2.3 ghia was the top of the range, with the v6 cologne, it was very poky performance wise, and probably the best Ford I had, which included a few mk 3 tina's, and a couple of mk 2 Capri 3 litre ghia's.

After that apart from an Opel Manta, I moved over to bmw, where build quality and engineering was in a different league to Ford's.

8 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

After that apart from an Opel Manta, I moved over to bmw

I had a Manta,  a white GTE Coupe.

I was a big rally fan at the time so it had to be a Coupe and not the hatchback. 

26 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I had a Manta,  a white GTE Coupe.

I was a big rally fan at the time so it had to be a Coupe and not the hatchback. 

The Cavalier Sports Hatch looked pants compared to the Manta coupé. 

I was a big fan of the Rockford Files as a kid, and in particular the Pontiac Firebird Esprit James Garner had. I reckoned the closest thing I could get to that in Ireland around 1978 was a Manta B. 

You have to squint hard, but the resemblance is there!!!

358EB844-007D-450F-A9F4-4DB50FF4F004.jpeg

0DC59507-4224-4427-9C12-E2AD5689AA37.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

13 hours ago, Steve van hool said:

20170321_133224.jpg

I was all geared up to get the 2.0 version of this as a company car back in 1982 (the year they stopped making them) after I had written off my MkII Cavalier. I was in hospital for two weeks and on crutches for another six before returning to work to find my brand, spanking new.........Cavalier MkII :-( 

Turns out our accountant, who organised the company cars, hated Fords and insisted on Vauxhall as he bought the best ones off the company when they came up for sale! 

In the mid 80's I had a silver and anthracite 1983 Cavalier SRi and it was one of the best cars I ever owned.Good performance plus a really  high 5th gear meant effortless high speed cruising and a a constant 36 mpg in all types of use.  Vauxhall lowered the gearing in subsequent models because people complained about the lack of pull in 5th gear ignoring the obvious answer - change down to 4th! It held the road extremely well except in snow and ice and the only slightly negative factor was that the ride was a bit hard. Oddly enough I recently came across the exact model here in Portugal (except that it is badged Opel) while on a trip up into the Monchique hills and I was able to stop and photograph it but did not encounter the owner. 

IMG_20190727_200917.jpg

In the early to late 1980s, the great debate raged between company reps as to which was the best car, the Cavalier or the Sierra, many becoming rather heated on the last working day during the customary 'refreshment Friday' gatherings in pubs. 

Just read that in an article from August 2006, Auto Express magazine named the Cavalier as the country's most scrapped car., with 807,264 examples of the second generation produced between 1981 to 1988, with only 6,343 still in working order.  No figures for the Sierra, but I doubt it would have been much better.

1 hour ago, Steve van hool said:

The mk1 Cavalier was better, and the GLS coupe looked identicle to the Opel Manta,

I had 2 GLS coupes before I got the Manta GTE.

I had a mk3 Cavalier in between my Sierras and Granandas and I'll say this quietly; it was actually the better car, it seemed better built than than the Sierras, considerably quicker (2.0 Cav vs 2.0 Sierra) and better on fuel, however, being wrong wheel drive it didn't handle like a Sierra, whereas a Sierra would hang it's arse out around a wet corner the Cavalier would just become a horrible understeery mess, it was only a slightly less horrible understeery mess in the dry too. :D

Edited by NWJW

10 minutes ago, NWJW said:

I had a mk3 Cavalier in between my Sierras and Granandas and I'll say this quietly; it was actually the better car, it seemed better built than than the Sierras, considerably quicker (2.0 Cav vs 2.0 Sierra) and better on fuel.

I had 2 Mk3 Cavaliers - a 2.0i L, and then a 2.0i CD. Loved the CD. Drove well and fully loaded. 

Long time ago  - the wee girl in the photo is 27 now!

car last taxed 20 years ago. 

EF4A729D-ED45-44A7-97E0-3C440F69020B.jpeg

Edited by Calypso-E34

Was curious about the power difference between the 2.0 and the 2.3 Cortina. If the stats I found are correct, the 2.3 only had 0.3 bhp per tonne more. At 176nm, it did have 7.5% more torque though :)

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I had 2 Mk3 Cavaliers - a 2.0i L, and then a 2.0i CD. Loved the CD. Drove well and fully loaded. 

Long time ago  - the wee girl in the photo is 27 now!

car last taxed 20 years ago. 

EF4A729D-ED45-44A7-97E0-3C440F69020B.jpeg

Mine was a CDi too but in bright red, well, more like pink if I'm honest! ;):D

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

Was curious about the power difference between the 2.0 and the 2.3 Cortina. If the stats I found are correct, the 2.3 only had 0.3 bhp per tonne more. At 176nm, it did have 7.5% more torque though :)

The 2.3 had, I think, 125 bhp vs the 100bhp of the 2.0 but the thing with the Cologne engine was how it delivered it's power, it had bags of low end torque so felt very punchy (not too dissimilar to a modern-ish turbo diesel).