Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

European breakdown cover - best options

Pretty sure we won't need it but obviously i have the security of it here in the UK.

Used greenflag in past but whats cheapest cover for a continental jaunt?

I'm a member of the CSMA (job perk, not by choice) and they have some good deals with car breakdown and recovery services. The 540 is the only car in the family that will/does go abroad, so I just pay for additional cover for that at renewal time. I think it adds about £30 to the premium.

Nationwide bank joint account covers all our cars anywhere in Europe irrespective of age. Best and cheapest route for us with a 20 year old car (E36) that others would not touch without a serious premium. 

You pay £13 a month for the Flex plus account (£6.50 a month if you keep £2500 in the account) for ALL of the following:

Family holiday insurance worldwide

Mobile phone insurance for the whole family

European breakdown cover - includes bringing the car back for any car you are driving

All of the above saves us a small fortune if taken out separately.

Also you get £100 if referred by someone else. 

3 hours ago, E39mad said:

Nationwide bank joint account covers all our cars anywhere in Europe irrespective of age. Best and cheapest route for us with a 20 year old car (E36) that others would not touch without a serious premium. 

You pay £13 a month for the Flex plus account (£6.50 a month if you keep £2500 in the account) for ALL of the following:

Family holiday insurance worldwide

Mobile phone insurance for the whole family

European breakdown cover - includes bringing the car back for any car you are driving

All of the above saves us a small fortune if taken out separately.

Also you get £100 if referred by someone else. 

Interesting - our accounts are with HSBC and Halifax, but I could chuck £2500 into a new account with Nationwide and keep it there and pay £6.50 per month for the perks. But, does a certain amount have to be paid in each month, like a salary for example?

Have a look at their website but iirc yes you need money each month a direct debits out. 

Switching is so easy now - they do everything.

Edited by E39mad