Norseman

coolant hose

Hi guys

I ordered a replacement top radiator hose for my '98 523i using the part # listed on real-OEM, but when my local garage came to fit it this morning the part is the wrong shape  :unsure:

I've looked up the parts diagram for that # & sure enough the hose I ordered does appear to be the same, but at the end of the day the hose on the car is a straight forward L shape (no markings) with an outside length of 28-29cm whereas the new item has 1x 90degree bend, 2 x slight bends & an total outside length of around 36-37cm. I'm starting to worry that there might be something more sinister here, like the wrong rad. etc. but other than some repaired damage to the driver's side of the plastic fan cowl everything seems to 'look right' & fit properly into the spaces provided.

Any ideas guys?

nb.  the reason for wanting to replace the hose (see my first post on this forum) was after purchasing the car this hose seemed to collapse when the engine cooled right down, but strangely enough the problem(?) is not present now.

6 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Hi guys

I ordered a replacement top radiator hose for my '98 523i using the part # listed on real-OEM, but when my local garage came to fit it this morning the part is the wrong shape  :unsure:

I've looked up the parts diagram for that # & sure enough the hose I ordered does appear to be the same, but at the end of the day the hose on the car is a straight forward L shape (no markings) with an outside length of 28-29cm whereas the new item has 1x 90degree bend, 2 x slight bends & an total outside length of around 36-37cm. I'm starting to worry that there might be something more sinister here, like the wrong rad. etc. but other than some repaired damage to the driver's side of the plastic fan cowl everything seems to 'look right' & fit properly into the spaces provided.

Any ideas guys?

nb.  the reason for wanting to replace the hose (see my first post on this forum) was after purchasing the car this hose seemed to collapse when the engine cooled right down, but strangely enough the problem(?) is not present now.

This is the RealOEM diagram for a 1998 523i:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DD42-EUR-06-1998-E39-BMW-523i&diagId=11_1555

Which hose is it that you need to replace and which have you ordered?

Should it be this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuine-Cooling-System-Water-Hose-Pipe-E39-11531740474/192790675079?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=1942925956&hash=item2ce3383e87:g:Z1kAAOSw-k5cPK9R

This is my 1998 E39 523i. 

Does your hose look like the one in the bottom right of the picture?  Which doesn't quite match the Part #1 diagram in the realoem but that might just be a quirk of the picture on realoem

PB070025.jpg

Perhaps the one you have is for a M52TU with dual vanos, i.e. the later engine before they unthrottled it and made it the 525i that it should have been.

Mine was the single vanos M52 lump.  Excellent engine, used no oil, leaked no oil, barely discoloured the oil.  It never missed a beat. Just not enough shove.  Pity.

That's a dead ringer for the hose currently fitted to my engine Andrew ! Much appreciate you posting the picture. All I need now is the part # OR maybe try a BMW  dealer, that way I could ID the replacement before purchase.

Interesting you've owned the same year/model & reassuring comments about the engine. Re. your views on power output,  I can relate to that having had an E34 touring years ago & found that sometimes lacked enough 'shove' but then I was younger back then! We are both pensioners now though & find the 523i (at 146k) has ample grunt for our needs :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Many thanks for the links d.a.n

The first link (diagram) is not the correct shape, but the second (ebay) link looks just like my original so I'm going to go for it.

Shame I can't send the current replacement back because, in fairness, it is the part # I ordered.

5 minutes ago, Norseman said:

Many thanks for the links d.a.n

The first link (diagram) is not the correct shape, but the second (ebay) link looks just like my original so I'm going to go for it.

Shame I can't send the current replacement back because, in fairness, it is the part # I ordered.

How odd!

I'd still try and send it back on the basis that it's the right part number, but wrong item received. See what they say

You've distance selling regs, so you can send it back with no issues in all fairness