Eddles

Wiring dashcam directly to front fuseboard

I've brought a Viofo A129 DUO dashcam with a hardwire kit HK3 and after installing the BMW harness for the reversing camera, I quite liked their idea of plugging the power supply wire in the back of the front power distribution board and fitting a fuse at the front, looks quite OEM.  I'm thinking about doing the same for the dashcam hardwire kit, it needs two live wires, one permanent live, one switched live, so I could get two BMW contact pins, connect the hardware kit to the pins, plug it in spare slots in the back of the power distribution board and add on 5A fuses at the front.

My questions are: 1) Is this the right pin to get - looks like 1mm square, and 2) Is there enough space on the front power distribution board for this?

Many thanks!

Meant to add here is the wiring diagram form my front fuse box.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/wiring-functional-info/functional-wiring-diagrams/09-vehicle-electrical-system/front-fuse-relay-module/1VnXAXsN4e

Use your chassis number for your wiring diagram.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Meant to add here is the wiring diagram form my front fuse box.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/wiring-functional-info/functional-wiring-diagrams/09-vehicle-electrical-system/front-fuse-relay-module/1VnXAXsN4e

Use your chassis number for your wiring diagram.

Which fuse would you select for the cam to come on with ignition and off with ignition? Asking for my pops-in-law as it appears he's selected a fuse that's still live with the ignition off!

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Which fuse would you select for the cam to come on with ignition and off with ignition? Asking for my pops-in-law as it appears he's selected a fuse that's still live with the ignition off!

Check again after 15 minutes of ignition being off, a load of circuits stay live for a while after locking.

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

This is spot-on.  I'm a bit confused how this diagram works, I am hoping you can help - if I click on the fuse number, a list of links comes up, I presume the fuse protects the list of wiring diagram under "Related Documents" - for example, on your diagram, clicking on F3 shows that this protects the central gateway module and the diagnosis socket?  Would this diagram shows empty slots for fuses, or would I need to look at the fusebox physically to see?

Many thanks for your time!

OK, so I've decided to take a picture of the front fuseboard (Z1), and have figured out a plan for the hardwire kit, I need two wires - switched live and permanent live.  I've a few questions to double check my thoughts please....

1) The fuseboard in my car seems to be upside-down compared to the diagrams I see on newtis - is it due to the RHD layout?

2) From the wiring diagram, how do I figure out which fuses are switched live or permanent live?

3) Looking at the physical fuses, my car's missing Fuses F6, F28, F29, F30, F41, F49 & F57.  Seems only F28 (Video switch), F29 (Touchbox/DVD changer) & F57 (left headlight?!?!) are valid & unused fuses while the rest are non-existent.  I'm surprised about F57 being missing, but the left headlight obviously works... I presume those 3 fuses are switched live, so I could use F57 in connector Z1*4B for switched live?

And finally, did I read it right, that the Z1 fuseboard is protected by a 250amp fuse?!  Scary how much power cars use nowadays....

Update: after some more reading, seems that the front fuse board Z1 is all permanent live, and the only switched live is the cigarette lighter socket, is that right?

After yet more reading, seems that all fuses connected to module Z1_4 is switched live, and the rest are permanent live.  So F28, F29 and F57 is permanent live, and F10, F12, F33, F34, F35, F50, F51, F52, F53, F54, F63, F64, F65, F66, & F67 are switched live.  All of those fuses are unfortunately populated.

The easiest way forward I guess would be to forget my original idea and use two piggy-back mini fuse extenders with 2 x 5A fuses.

Edited by Eddles

Piggyback the fuses...it's what I did, was also a royal pain the backside to get back there. 

Why on earth they decided to put the fusebox back there is beyond there, ze Germans must have dainty little hands to get through the pathetic 'access hatch' in the back of the glovebox

Hi @Eddles

Anything that is supplied (Fuse 54 as an example) via the "terminal 30B" relay is live when the ignition is on or rather when 'driver present' or car access system (CAS) is active.   When the CAS is active it tells relay Z1_4 to switch on and supply all the relevant circuits.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/EDXiiHVG

Some text explation

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/1VnZ3Cg0Pt

When you unlock the car and open a door, the CAS is then awake and anything supplied by terminal 30B relay is energised. For example my towbar can only be operated when the CAS is awake. If I don't press the towbar button within a few minutes of the car being awake, it shuts down and I need to open and close a door or the boot to wake it back up to allow me to operate it. This is to preserve battery life as the many modules in the car all draw power once it's awake but before the engine is running. Which is why you don't want to connect a dash cam to a permanent live it will drain the battery as it will keep recording when the car is parked which perhaps you do want?

Sounds like you've got to grips with it, the TIS wiring diagrams are terrific and being all linked you can get to all parts easily. I've lost many hours reading my circuit diagrams. :ph34r:

Fuse 54 is a popular one for a dash cam as it supplies the 12V sockets so you are not going to overload or upset an expensive module elsewhere on the car. The 12V socket would be used if you did not hard wire a dashcam so makes perfect sense.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Which is why you don't want to connect a dash cam to a permanent live it will drain the battery as it will keep recording when the car is parked which perhaps you do want?

Thanks for reply, much appreciated, pretty much confirmed my final conclusions.  As for the permanent live, the dashcam comes with an optional hardwire kit which has 3 connectors - permanent live, switched live and earth.  The cam takes its power from the permanent live and uses switched live to enable/disable parking mode.  So when the switched live goes off, the cam goes into parking mode which is allegedly a low power mode where the camera takes one picture per second or so.  When the battery voltage drops to a pre-selected voltage, the camera will power off completely to prevent draining the battery.  The hardwire kit has a switch for 11.8, 12.0, 12.2 and 12.4v.  To start with, I'll use the 12.4v setting so the hardwire kit will turn off when the battery drops to 12.4v, hopefully this will prevent the battery drain warning from coming on.

Cheers!

Edited by Eddles