juldobson

AirCon creaks & pops

Move to Scotland maybe? Not a problem that I’ve ever noticed anyway.

;)

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I remember someone saying it's been extensively discussed on some of the US boards. Perhaps worth looking there....?

29 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I remember someone saying it's been extensively discussed on some of the US boards. Perhaps worth looking there....?

Nothing significant there I’m afraid!

One thing that used to work wonders on creaky dashes and door seals etc. was Carbaflo KSP105 spray, sadly it’s incredibly hard to find these days, I can only find the tubes of liquid these days. Or a very expensive kit which only contains one spray. Used to get a few cans of spray no problem on ebay years ago. 

I used it on my old E39 and made it silent. 

You could try a teflon spray in the gaps and joins etc. 

it's the different cheap materials used and they have totally different thermal properties causing them to expand and make these horrendous creaks and cracks, for such a prestige 50 grand car it is awful.

We have Vauxhall, VW, Skoda and ford cars and no other car does this, looks like we have seen the best of BMW and now its maximum profit for cheap products 

On 7/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, juldobson said:

Hi

How do you stop all the creaking and popping as the dashboard cools down when air con on please?

Other than await cloudy weather...

Take it to your dealer. I complained to my dealer and they kept denying there was a fix for it. They did, however, agree to rip it apart and put it back together again with added and updated parts (I think around the centre dash speaker) and to lubricate the parts going back. They showed me the BMW wad of 1" thick printed instructions for the 2 day job. It seems to have stopped the creaking when the aircon is cooling down the interior. However, they managed to get the ambient lighting LEDs the wrong way up and with a really annoying bright spot (apparently the LEDs 'talk' to each other so it was software causing the wrong colours top and bottom - I assumed they had mixed up the plugs). They had it back to sort this and the LED now has a couple of less bright spots (still annoying) which is apparently due to them joining 2 LED strips together behind the dashboard which overlap. I'm not happy with the result as the upper dash LED is now dimmer (except for the bright spot areas) than the LEDs in the doors, but I've seen so much of the main dealer in recent months that I'm loathed to go back again. In fact the car sometimes asks me whether I'd like to go there, as it's a frequently visited place! So, be prepared for other issues if they don't get it right. If they know what they are doing then you should be OK.