rd45

yet another question about options - 540i Touring SE

On 07/07/2019 at 09:57, rd45 said:

perhaps a five year PCP instead of four

Good luck with that, genuinely don't think its possible and not sure locking yourself in for such a long time is wise as the value of the car will tank in year 4 to 5 so payments won't be much smaller overall.

Interested to see what BMW FS would say to that other than a straight no.

On the flip side, What I have heard is if you are a long term customer and friendly with your dealer (who is doing well on their numbers) you can ask BMW FS to lower your APR. Been told that for the right person and on the right car, they will drop it. 

Its brilliant for sat nav, showing lanes to take etc. Speed warnings are good, also the adaptive cruise information. Also the ability to scroll through a playlist. I could go on....

Not an option so to speak but how about a set of winter wheels and tyres to release the xdrvie potential in the winter? Depends where you stay in the world of course and your need to be able to get out in all weathers.

Dealer near me was advertising a set of G30/1 17" winter wheels and tyres for under £2k inc VAT. 

I was reluctant to spend the £ on DA+ but wanted ACC and lane assist (blind spot detection) so got the package. Wasn't fussed about steering and lane control assist but actually use it a lot on my daily commute (~30 miles in london and M4). The combo of ACC with stop/start and steering makes for a much more relaxing drive both in traffic and when the road is clear (helps with sticking to the speed limit).

HUD was a must-have for me, having used it a lot when borrowing 7er for a while and would never get a car without it now. With the amount of info modern cars can present I find it helps keep focus on the road away from the instrument cluster/iDrive. 

I test drove a car with the same wheel/Msport suspension setup to make sure it was comfortable enough without VDC and found it was fine, now I've got my 540 I don't think it'd have been worth the money for ride quality. Using that money for ACC, visibility pack and HUD suits my daily use much better as I can't live without them.

Another +1 for the HUD though note (unless it's changed) the speed limit info is only shown if you but an additional (quite expensive) package.

Edited by G Whizz

9 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Good luck with that, genuinely don't think its possible and not sure locking yourself in for such a long time is wise as the value of the car will tank in year 4 to 5 so payments won't be much smaller overall.

Interested to see what BMW FS would say to that other than a straight no.

On the flip side, What I have heard is if you are a long term customer and friendly with your dealer (who is doing well on their numbers) you can ask BMW FS to lower your APR. Been told that for the right person and on the right car, they will drop it. 

You’re right - I’m pretty sure the max for PCP is 48 months. If you wanted it over 60 months then HP is the only option. 

13 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

My wife's F45 was the first car in our family with a HUD and she loves it and has the same view I now hold about not buying a car without in the future. Speed, Satnav, Entertainment selection, Phone address etc. Yes, sure, for the past many, many years of driving I've looked down, away from the road ahead, to look at my speed but now hardly ever look at the instrument cluster. Sure it's a nice-to-have and not cheap but my view has been cemented on this being an option I will have in the future if I have the opportunity.

Unless you've lived with a car with HUD, it may be difficult to understand the perceived benefits.

Yes you’re possibly right. It depends too I suppose what sort of other features you tend to use while driving. I’m a bit (well, quite a bit really) of an old fart so I’ve never scrolled through a track list while driving in my life, never use or answer the phone while driving, only listen to satnav commentary, not the display, so it comes down to the speedo for me and as I say staying aware of the speedo is pretty well subconscious. So for me at least I don’t think I’m missing anything much.

Oddly perhaps I find the rear view mirror the most dangerous instrument. It seems to take a long time to glance, refocus, assimilate and return and someone always seems to brake while I’m looking away. So I generally stick with the wing mirrors. Mind you, I have privacy glass so the interior mirror takes more effort anyway. Ah well!

Edited by Boba

Afternoon

I've been reading with interest.

Going off subject a bit.

What sort of real world MPG are you getting out of your 540s

Town

motorway

Mixed

Thanks

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

Afternoon

Going off subject a bit.

Town

motorway

Mixed

Thanks

640i so slightly heavier on fuel than the 540i but around town around 20mpg and longer journeys I usually average around 32mpg. I did see 38mpg once but that was a lot of 50mph restrictions on the M25 and M3 on the way to Farnborough. 

On 08/07/2019 at 18:18, Boba said:

After I bought my car (fair few options but no HUD) I wondered for a while if I should have kept looking to try to find one with HUD. Now 18 months on I’m not so sure. Aside from the speedometer is there really anything much of value in the display as a rule? FWIW I find that routine noting the Speedo reading is second nature anyway, requires no conscious effort, much like glancing across the panel when flying. Is HUD really more than just another nice-to-have?

Apart from having the speedo reading and speed limit info more in the line of sight, I find having the sat nav info up there really good as well (it will also display some ecopro info but I don't really use that :mrgreen:); all in all it means less, if any, time with eyes off the road ahead and that has to be a real safety bonus. 

6 hours ago, Stressed said:

Afternoon

Going off subject a bit.

Town

motorway

Mixed

Thanks

28-30 on local roads; up to 38 on motorway with lots of 50mph restrictions e.g. M1

2 hours ago, Mr H said:

28-30 on local roads; up to 38 on motorway with lots of 50mph restrictions e.g. M1

Pretty similar here. 24-27 in town. 36-38 on runs with a best 65 mile motorway trip of 41.

13,000 mile running average is 34.1

Thanks gents. I know you don't buy these cars for good fuel economy, but information like this makes the 540i a realistic option for the driving I do and the 45p/mile I get for work journeys 

It might be time to ask mr bmw dealer for a 48hrs test drive!

Edited by Stressed

According to Fuelly, my fuel cost so far (3,500 miles) is 19p per mile, that compares well for the 18p per mile my diesel SQ5 was costing at an average of 36.6 mpg over 70,000+ miles ......................