v8shinprint

Diagnosis - Am I doing this right?

Hi All,

I finally got brave enough to plug the car into the laptop, it's only taken me 4 years! :)

I'm using a Windows 10 laptop and a usb-OBD lead, in combination with the Bimmergeeks download. I got INPA to successfully connect, I was then able to read error codes and print them to Microsoft OneNote (Why is this the default? I haven't used it before!)

I then took  the error codes and entered them into http://bmwfault.codes/ to work out what they refer to.

I have to say, this all feels quite clunky! Is this the best workflow I can manage without signing up to any monthly fees?

If I want to start making changes to the system (e.g. battery replacement,  adding modules, etc) how do I learn how to do this?

If there are any better options available please let me know!

cheers

Mark

PS. I'll start a different thread for the problem I am actually trying to solve...

Uee the text search m8, it may seem clunky to start with but this really is as good as it gets, Carly has nothing on this for diagnostics.

13 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Uee the text search m8, it may seem clunky to start with but this really is as good as it gets, Carly has nothing on this for diagnostics.

@GoNz0 are you talking about ISTA-D? He's only got INPA so far and I didn't know of any text search in INPA. And I would have said ISTA-D is as good as it gets.

Keliuss

9 hours ago, Keliuss said:

@GoNz0 are you talking about ISTA-D? He's only got INPA so far and I didn't know of any text search in INPA. And I would have said ISTA-D is as good as it gets.

Keliuss

Yeah it was a long day m8 :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

change your default printer :)

Lol! embarrassingly it is that simple! I don't have a default because I switch between 3 different printers, so I just get it to ask me each time rather having to change it. Looks like INPA couldn't handle that and just picked one. 

Ok, so I have managed to install ISTA, but it doesn't seem to be connecting to the car. I can load the VIN and the car detials show up but when I try to start the vehicle test I just the screen shown in the attached image (hopefully this works). 

Any clues what I'm doing wrong? The cable is still COM1 and works for INPA.

cheers

Mark

ISTA_connection.png

Capture.JPG.6d4889ff68f5575a2761ced8f94d5454.JPG

Have you got this setting done? Hit the spanner icon on top to call up settings, then VCI config, then set Ediabas as interface. Hit ok, close the app and restart it. You should not have to type your VIN in, it can read it when working correctly.

Edit: make sure INPA is closed before running ISTA.

Keliuss

Edited by Keliuss

This is a pretty cool tool! 

I can get to the DDE system, I'm now just struggling to find the output of the lambda sensor? I can see exhaust temp, exhaust back pressure, etc - Am I looking in the wrong place?

cheers

Mark

I don't recall seeing it when looking at the others you mention. But now that you do have ISTA, do as @GoNz0 suggested and use the text search.

Keliuss