Evo7mc

520d engine mounts?

Will be changing mine shortly and was wondering If there is any issues with getting them out I’ve seen a few how to’s and it looks pretty straight forward but I’ve also seen people mention the drivers side mount can be difficult to get out, although that was on a six cylinder so was hoping there may be a little more clearance on the 4 cylinder engines anyone have any experience changing these on a 520d

I found on the 6 pot that pushing the steering column up into the bulkhead gave me the room to get it out.

Is this simply a case of undoing the column to rack joint and pushing the column up or is it a bit more involved than that?

1 hour ago, Evo7mc said:

Is this simply a case of undoing the column to rack joint and pushing the column up or is it a bit more involved than that?

It really is as simple as that, it does have a heat shield with 2 10mm bolts and 1 10mm nut to get at 1st and the rack has a plastic guide so you put it back in the same position without guessing. Just make sure you don't spin the wheel once it's off or you risk snapping the clock spring.

7 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

the rack has a plastic guide so you put it back in the same position without guessing. 

Unfortunately that plastic guide is so flexible that it's quite easy to install +/- 1 tooth without noticing.

17 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Unfortunately that plastic guide is so flexible that it's quite easy to install +/- 1 tooth without noticing.

I find when that happens you can see it is no longer straight although I am off to check that on a car this weekend but I do remember it going on a tooth out until I checked it was straight and moved it.

Just finished up there must be slightly more room on the 520d because both mounts came out without having to move anything although it was a bit like Jenga getting the drivers side mount out, car is so much smoother at idle even though the mounts physically looked pretty good with minimal play. Been putting off this job for a while but it wasn’t too bad in the end.

5 hours ago, Evo7mc said:

Just finished up there must be slightly more room on the 520d because both mounts came out without having to move anything although it was a bit like Jenga getting the drivers side mount out, car is so much smoother at idle even though the mounts physically looked pretty good with minimal play. Been putting off this job for a while but it wasn’t too bad in the end.

Nice to know should I ever have to do the 4 pot :)