HandyAndy_UK

The trouble a wheelspeed sensor can cause!

I suppose I should have expected something 'interesting' from a sensor failure on a BMW, but whilst cruising down an autobahn off ramp last week, all hell appeared to come knocking at once!

Without warning the cruise cut out... TPMS unavailable warning... cruise control unavailable... park brake partial function... limiter failed... drive stability failed... ABS failed! Not my idea of a restful drive after a hot n sweaty day.

Anywho, I'm still moving so all is not FUBAR just yet.

Once parked, I fire up Carly and in the midst of faults and failures sitting quietly lurks 'pulse generator front left short circuit'. A quick Google for similar faults throws up tales of failed wheelspeed sensors... and thus my confidence in Carly skyrockets once more.

RealOEM supplies the part number... BMW Parts suggests a 135euro 'donation' so I opt for a new Bosch sensor via AutoDoc for a more preferred 10.35euro.

Upshot... I'm sat here typing while Carly clears the faults, having spent about 20 mins changing out the bad sensor.

If only all BMW faults could be so cheap and easy to deal with...

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Common weak point on the  E39. I had two front ones fail on mine. As you said, you get all sorts of errors as loads of things all work form the wheel sensors. 

Easy to fix and and car should recognise the new part without having to clear the codes. 

... oh it recognised the new sensor as soon as I put the ignition on. The clear was to ensure anything 'consequential' was reset as well. Only thing remaining once done was the low life remaining on the dpf. May get it cleaned sometime... we'll see....

At least your car don't have a buggy ABS that likes to go into "ice mode" and limit brakes all the way down to 10% when it's nice and sunny outside, not something you want when doing 70mph around roundabouts, or braking hard behind other cars on the track!  Proper fix for my VX220 would be a £500 ECU replacement, but a quick & dirty fix is to disconnect the front right pulse sensor which disables the ABS but not the speedometer or the dynamic brake proportioning, which I'm using at the moment.  Brown trousers time!

Back in my Senator/Omega/Vectra days I was well aware of the mass of VX220 owners with almost endless problems... and the mass who were always seeking replacement bodywork. The electrical system on VX220 has never been right. Scrap the VX and pour the pennies into the 530d ... bound to be stuff to do there :rolleyes:

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Hah, the VX220 is called the "plastic shitbox" by us VX220 owners, but man, it does drive absolutely, amazingly awesome, especially on track!  At least the VX220 electrics is vastly simpler than the BMW!

2 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Back in my Senator/days I was well aware of the mass of  owners with almost endless problems... and the mass who were always seeking replacement bodywork. The electrical system  has never been right. 

As a fellow Senator owner, I've corrected your post for you Andy.;)