Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkLord

530e hybrid - long trip no plug in - how to do it?

I'm travelling to Glasgow from Southampton tomorrow (and then back in a few days) in a 530e hybrid and I probably won't be able to plug in anywhere.

What's the best way to charge the batteries on the move?

Is it best to let it charge to full (probably gets one mile for every 3 or 4 driven), switch to Max E-drive when it's full, let the battery drain - then repeat?

Or should I just leave it in Auto E-drive?

Also, should I be using Battery Control mode at any point during the charging?

I'm expecting to get about 40 to 45 mpg for the trip.  Is that about right?

Did 2,230 miles around Europe without charging. Averaged 40 mpg.

Battery control eats fuel so I rarely (if ever) use it. I did however gain a full charge (33 km) by using Max E-drive from the top of a mountain pass to our hotel in only 25km.

Sport was used on Autobahns and did also harvest some charge.

Whilst I have access to some Euro charging networks - they often charge by the minute - so I have learned to avoid them.

If course you could also register for Pod-Point - which can often be free to charge.

Also noted lots of New Motion chargers in Southampton (which are free if you register on their app).

Edited by Carrman2018

2 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

If course you could also register for Pod-Point - which can often be free to charge.

Also noted lots of New Motion chargers in Southampton (which are free if you register on their app).

I'll probably set off with a full charge from Southampton.

These commercial charging points aren't really worth it though.  With Ecotricity (the main one in motorway service stations), the cost per mile is only 1p different from not bothering and just using premium unleaded.

Ecotrity is heavily over priced - as with most things in motorway service areas.

I rarely see them being used.

I set the car in Adaptive (and Auto e-drive) and let it look after itself (I suppose that this answers your original question!)

I have tried eco pro but find the lack of harvesting “frustrating”.

Edited by Carrman2018

I tend to use battery control set on 30%. That way I have a reserve of power for traffic and city work, with nominal downside effect on fuel consumption. It's not all about cost, as the smoothness benefits in traffic are worth a few extra pence to me. Just my opinion...

On 01/07/2019 at 09:03, Monkeyfinger said:

I tend to use battery control set on 30%. That way I have a reserve of power for traffic and city work, with nominal downside effect on fuel consumption. It's not all about cost, as the smoothness benefits in traffic are worth a few extra pence to me. Just my opinion...

Might give that a bash on the way back down

Outward leg of the trip done.  I unfortunately wasn't able to charge at all before the trip - so started on an empty battery.

435 miles done at moderate motorway speeds on clear roads.  Achieved 41.4 mpg.  That's okay I think.

At one point, when the mpg gauge said 38.5 mpg, I switched to battery save and charged the whole thing right up to 23 miles battery capacity in Comfort mode.

The mpg went down to an average of 25 mpg by the time the battery was full.

I then drove on Max eDrive until the battery was exhausted - which brought the average back to 37.9 mpg.

So, no win and no loss - but I suppose I drove for 20 miles without polluting anywhere.

I'll try a different tack on the way back.

1 hour ago, TheDarkLord said:

So, no win and no loss - but I suppose I drove for 20 miles without polluting anywhere.

And a fair few miles at double the normal pollution eh? Charging from an IC engine then discharging through the electric motor sounds an inefficient process.

I pick my moment to charge if possible. Using battery save around town is a killer, but on a cruise, I figure that the losses charging at cruising speed are more than offset if you then use the e drive around town (when you would use far more petrol). As pointed out, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to use petrol to charge unless you are sensible about it.

..... and I got 39.8 mpg average on the drive home from Glasgow to Southampton - again with no charging.  I did virtually the whole return trip on Comfort mode with Auto eDrive. It didn't seem to harvest any electricity at all.  I switched to Sport for about 60 miles or so - still no harvesting, so I just put it back in Comfort.

Seems okay to be for a big heavy car with a 2.0 litre petrol engine.

How should I read this? The hybrid is good if your trip is under 20 miles (e.g. effective distance on a charge), but not really valuable over a longer trip...? As in, my 20D over that distance would be doing nearer 55mpg.  I'm looking at the new X5 and they've just released a hybrid.

38 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

How should I read this? The hybrid is good if your trip is under 20 miles (e.g. effective distance on a charge), but not really valuable over a longer trip...? As in, my 20D over that distance would be doing nearer 55mpg.  I'm looking at the new X5 and they've just released a hybrid.

I would say ‘absolutely’! Fine for (very) short commutes especially across town but for mainstream driving just a tax-beating gimmick.

22 minutes ago, Boba said:

I would say ‘absolutely’! Fine for (very) short commutes especially across town but for mainstream driving just a tax-beating gimmick.

Shows the stupidity of the BIK rules.

60mpg to Manchester this morning starting with a (24 mile) full charge - 46 on the way back with a 10 mile top up - both in Adaptive.

I have an 18 mile commute to work in centre of Southampton and can charge at work. As a result, it's a definate win for me. You just have to accept that it is useless for some people, if you dont do the right sort of mileage.

Thanks guys. That's what I'm trying to figure. OH's commute is c12 miles one way. However, I don't think that there is a charging point at the other end. If she could do round trip on a charge, then perhaps it stacks up. I'd need to do a spreadsheet to do the math properly though

Even without charging, you would only need to use a smidge of engine each way to cover 24 miles (but more in the winter). The benefit will be greater if you have more traffic, because electric is more efficient in stop start conditions. But the maths is not easy. 

15 hours ago, Carrman2018 said:

Shows the stupidity of the BIK rules.

60mpg to Manchester this morning starting with a (24 mile) full charge - 46 on the way back with a 10 mile top up - both in Adaptive.

So cynical hat on what does a 520d do MPG wise on a similar trip?

Electricity has to come from somewhere usually by burning fossil fuels and i'm pretty sure the batteries are pretty grim environmentally so is it the answer?

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Electricity has to come from somewhere usually by burning fossil fuels and i'm pretty sure the batteries are pretty grim environmentally so is it the answer?

The argument there is that the generation centrally is more efficient, when you factor in the enviro cost of also distributing the fuel to stations etc

My mpg varies on a 50 mile plus trip between 44 and 56mpg, depending on weather, conditions and speed

34 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Most of the time I use it to get to work - 42 miles there - 42 miles back.  I can charge at both ends.  

Depending on traffic and weather, I get between 70 mpg and 90 mpg on each leg.  The odd long trip like I've just done doesn't really get you the big numbers - but around 40 mpg is okay.

It's not really about the mpg.  My test on the trip was just out of curiosity on how to manage the system.  

For me, it's better than the diesel on a few counts:

• It's quieter
    • You don't get that rattly noise on startup or shut down
  • It's a smoother ride
    • both on petrol and electric - but especially the latter
  • I don't emit any noxious substance in town
  • I won't be legislated off some roads
  • On shorter journeys you effectively pay half as much for your fuel

But if you are a sales rep, I get it that diesel is better for you.

So its horses for courses and not the panacea they are purported to be?

Ultimately we just need to reduce personal transport i think?

I'm wondering if the future for me is an all electric car and then hire a I/C car for the longer trips.

5 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

So its horses for courses and not the panacea they are purported to be?

Ultimately we just need to reduce personal transport i think?

I'm wondering if the future for me is an all electric car and then hire a I/C car for the longer trips.

100 local miles last week and used no fuel.

The X5 hybrid will be the most expensive petrol and only the M50D is more expensive in the current UK range. Definitely need to do sums!

electric drive is so superior and efficient it doesnt really matter where the electricity is generated from . A premium car is about  smoothness and quiet delivery, with instant torque.  Now all electric cars will be like that

I think BMW is a little lost with its future direction. They have about the best ICE engines, and with the ZF transmission its as perfect as you can get. Till the next iteration by BMW

Now electric drive is gonna sweep all that away .

Yes, agreed, but I think there’s a ways to go though. At present the huge weight and cost of a 5er’s battery pack can handle around 30 miles on a good day. All things being equal to get a decent range - say 150 miles though many people would want much more - the battery would have to grow proportionally. Also the charging requirements would have to grow proportionally, so to return from your 150 mile trip would require a pretty extensive and time-consuming charging cycle. And what about the battery life-cycle costs and environmental problems? The sweeping will be postponed for a bit yet!

Edited by Boba