Sign in to follow this  
GlossBlue

M50 identify

Hi I need to know if this number I found on my M50 engine is correct for engine swap paperwork. I found it  on the back of the engine exhaust side & where do I go or look to find out is it original engine.thanks

Screenshot_20190629-170431.thumb.png.0b39621a29a8da43065c86dedaf0e18b.png

Sorry the number i gave you was stamped on the head as i was lead astray online . The place you say it should be has a plate with no number on it blank it doesn't seem as  it was  stamped . If it helps the car this engine came from was supposed to be a jap import as it has a KM speedo instead of miles here in ireland km clocks didn't happen until 2000 .Vin number is BG92547  if there is any way to look it up on lin before i go to dealer for help.

Edited by GlossBlue

9 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Those numbers are very faint and hard to read.  Glad you got it sorted.

Yes i needed the flash on my phone to see them so i dont know how its going to work with the inspector when the engine is fitted as i thought there was no numbers there.

When I first got my E34, I couldn't read the engine number either. I cleaned it with a bit of meths and let that dry. Then I painted it with some Tippex and immediately wiped it off again. That left the numbers painted and very clear to see.

Seems a bit of a pain to have to have the car inspected when you replace the engine :(

3 hours ago, whiskychaser said:

When I first got my E34, I couldn't read the engine number either. I cleaned it with a bit of meths and let that dry. Then I painted it with some Tippex and immediately wiped it off again. That left the numbers painted and very clear to see.

Seems a bit of a pain to have to have the car inspected when you replace the engine :(

Ok  thanks I will try that cleaning trick. You have to do this for insurance company as not too give them a chance to pull out of a claim.

Wow. That is a bit strict. I know you would wise to notify the DVLA if you changed the engine here and got the details changed on the V5. But I would not have thought the insurance would bother unless you installed a bigger engine