silestanix

Coming back to the BMW fold...

Mornin all... Been a while! Few of you know I had a brilliant W202 C250TD (Which is still miss absolutely every, single, day), had to sell due to idiot mayor Khans ULEZ zone. 

Bought a rowdy Audi A3 1.8T which I sold in early May as it drank far faarrrrr too much (was heavily mapped on a k03s), bought a Golf TDi and sold that at a loss yesterday as I'd had enough of its unreliability! 

Last week the golf throttle stopped responding and a dustbin truck almost hit me, so I took it back to the dealer and he sent the car to be repaired but by then I'd already lost every ounce of trust in the car. 

I went to see 9 cars last Friday, several E90s and a few E91s along with 2 Honda accord 2.4s. 

The last car of the day this was, and I was so sick and tired of being messed around that I almost went home after the 8th car. But, I thought It's not too far, I'll see the last one. I called the trader up and was pretty blunt, told him my intention isn't to be rude but to be straight up, I was very tired, and had been testing cars all day so if this one had issues, to be straight with me else he'd have hell to pay for later. He started laughand said he'd make me a coffee and to come by if I wanted to. Said the car isn't showroom condition as it's been a family car, it has scratches at the back of the seats and whatnot where kids have been in the car, door handles have wear, a few dings and scratches, but it was an honest car and he did not want me to think it's something more. Perfect. 

I arrived and after a chat and a coffee, he gave me the key and said to do as I liked, plug it in for codes, long as I was happy, I didn't have to buy but if I did we could do a deal. I popped the bonnet and everything engine was stone cold... Lovely. Started it up and sounded like a N52 should, hydraulics filled with oil in a second or so just like my mum's M54, I poked around whilst it warmed up, air con worked, no stored codes in the car, suspension tight, no paintwork done, interior not perfect but for me that's fine.

It was the spec I'd been looking for absolutely ages, N52B25, SE, Non-iDrive, xenons, Rest function, Pre-LCI, dakota leather, and Blue or Grey. 

After 10-15 mins we went for a drive, a nice normal drive to the nearest roundabout a mile away, and then he insisted I give it the beans on the way back, so I did. No issues I could hear or feel, revved smooth. Came back, popped the bonnet and the fan came on low speed for a minute or so and went off, temperature according to torque app was always around 88-91c except when I finished giving it the beans, acceptable. 

I left there quite happily but I said I'd come back with my sister for her opinion as she's a spirited driver so I'd like her to have a drive and I want her opinion. Trader said that's fine. So I went back on Saturday and my sister drove it, and said it drove spot on like her E46 (we've just had all the bushed etc replaced). 

After that, deposit was paid pending me collecting it tomorrow, however as some of you know, I work shifrs and I've been crewed out tomorrow so the trader has agreed (at his massive inconvenience) to drop it off to me tomorrow. 

I'll update as I go along, but for now, I have that fuzzy feeling and butterflies in my stomach lol. 

Fingers crossed....!! 

Harry. 

2c3445815b684b708b9a4cfff96f5149.jpg

15b3b43de4c74e0b8df9063718944d44.jpg

5 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Welcome back,  I remember you when you were on here before.  :)

5 hours ago, Sandip said:

Welcome back bud

Cheers gents! 

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Welcome back Harry - looks a nice place to be. A friend has a 330d e91 manual and its a nice drive.

Cheers dunc, seemed comfy enough bud, drove a few mins sport ones and they were just way too hard riding for my liking, the SE ticked the right boxes, gearbox is pretty slick too.

Had to go back to a manual, the Civic made me realise how much fun a manual can be and much better to drive...!

Hi H! 

Welcome back ! The forum is a quieter than it used to be given the rise of Facebook groups and Instagram etc, but still a very good bunch here in my opinion :)

Other cars are great and fine of course so you're forgiven for your dalliance...   BMW is the way forward though !

Maybe catchup again at a meet/show.

Cheers, Dennis!

Lovely looking sleeper there. My mum had an E90 325i and it was a lovely car to drive,  same wheels and interior too. May you have many happy miles in her. 

And because it isn't powered by the fuel of the Devil, will be ULEZ compliant too! :D

Why drive a soulless Prius when you can smoke around London in one of them or even a V8 which is ULEZ compliant too!

Check the number plate if you don't believe me.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896

DSC-0031.jpg

20 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi H! 

Welcome back ! The forum is a quieter than it used to be given the rise of Facebook groups and Instagram etc, but still a very good bunch here in my opinion :)

Other cars are great and fine of course so you're forgiven for your dalliance...   BMW is the way forward though !

Maybe catchup again at a meet/show.

Cheers, Dennis!

Khida, yeah it's been a while! Tbh after my E34 and a brief spell in an E36 I missed the handling of a BMW, and of I'm honest the relative ease of most repairs. The BMW community as a whole is a lot more lively and open than many others I've frequented...! 

This forum I still see as my home... First proper forum I frequented, with the likes of Donut bless his soul, Fellie aka fells, Duncan, Splondike, Jamie aka Jam172, SuperDave God bless him, Retset, Andym535i, Clem... The list goes on!

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lovely looking sleeper there. My mum had an E90 325i and it was a lovely car to drive,  same wheels and interior too. May you have many happy miles in her. 

And because it isn't powered by the fuel of the Devil, will be ULEZ compliant too! :D

Why drive a soulless Prius when you can smoke around London in one of them or even a V8 which is ULEZ compliant too!

Check the number plate if you don't believe me.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896

DSC-0031.jpg

Haha i believe ya, does make me laugh but hey I'm not complaining, tbh I missed a straight 6, been years and with engines like the N52B25 40mpg is realistically achievable. My work mate has a touring with the same engine as mine, and cruising from MK to Heathrow he averages 43mpg, manual 6 speed like mine. Mind boggling haha!

Oh yes, before I forget..

She is now mine...left her at home today though  as I want to put all my bits into it and take it to the Gurdwara to bless it.

:D ... Pics...

Point Blur_Jun272019_193312.jpg

Point Blur_Jun272019_193340.jpg

Point Blur_Jun272019_192943.jpg

Point Blur_Jun272019_193211.jpg

Looks like this one wasn't meant to be, sold it back to the dealer on Sunday just gone as it had major issues. After persevering for 6 weeks I just couldn't do it anymore. The N52 may be a good engine but jesus it's complicated nature is a major headache. 

Now bought an M54 powered 325Ci. Clean outside, needs:

- a thermostat as it's overcooling, so will get that done along with waterpump viscous coupling, tensioner, the usual M5X cooling system drill,

- interior needs a good tidy up as it has an odd smell, drain ducts near bottom  windscreen were akin to a mini forest so I've given those a proper clean, maybe what's caused the odd smell, water running into the cabin, 

- has had a recent service but I'm gonna do one anyway, oil change and both air & oil filters. It's done 95k so which oil guys, 5w40...? Also seen a recent receipt for a rocker cover gasket, front bushes, front brakes and rear tyres (pirelli I think). 

Apart from that, it drives straight, picks up speed well, and performs how an M54 should. Cannot but notice how much nicer the M54 is compared to the N52. 

Will post up proper pics once I'm at work in a few hours, here's one of the engine back for now... 

DSC_1480.JPG

The N52 is lovely when it works but they're just at that age now (have been for a while) where they are just a pain in the arse. The electric coolant pump  everyone moans about is the cheap bit. It's bloody Vanos faults and oil leaks that does for them. That's the problem with modernish BMW's and old ones just rust and piss oil out. I find E46's just too old and needy now. 

There is however a superbly made, reliable 3 Series and here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS_(XE20)

If you think I'm kidding, try driving one. Like the old IS200, these are clearly ripped off from a 3 Series but they're properly made. Cheap now as well. 

10 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

The N52 is lovely when it works but they're just at that age now (have been for a while) where they are just a pain in the arse. The electric coolant pump  everyone moans about is the cheap bit. It's bloody Vanos faults and oil leaks that does for them. That's the problem with modernish BMW's and old ones just rust and piss oil out. I find E46's just too old and needy now. 

There is however a superbly made, reliable 3 Series and here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_IS_(XE20)

If you think I'm kidding, try driving one. Like the old IS200, these are clearly ripped off from a 3 Series but they're properly made. Cheap now as well. 

I did consider an IS, but I just couldn't get to grips with the way it drove. It was very 3 series like, RWD and handled well but it just didn't feel as balanced unfortunately. :(

4 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

What major problems did the e90 give you out of interest? 

When I first got it, it was alright for the first day or 2. Then when I'd accelerate, between 1500-2000 it'd jerk and hesitate like no man's business. Cam sensor was needed so had one fitted. Improved the problem for a few days,  then after that it'd not idle properly, idling up and down like it was hunting. Diagnosis was faulty vanos units so both replaced along with cam sensors. The idle still wasn't steady, having a hunting undertone to it but staying steady on the rev counter. It has started to do the odd hesitation again too by that point. By then I'd had enough and returned it. Too much hassle. 

Vanos faults are often wear in the front cam ledges. The cams have steel sealing rings to prevent pressurised oil leaking back, but the steel rings wear grooves into the alloy housings (yes, steel rings on alloy FFS) leading to oil pressure dropping and Vanos faults. It's enough to render a car scrap because the inlet cam ledge is part of the head. Bloody stupid design and it'll get them all eventually. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Vanos faults are often wear in the front cam ledges. The cams have steel sealing rings to prevent pressurised oil leaking back, but the steel rings wear grooves into the alloy housings (yes, steel rings on alloy FFS) leading to oil pressure dropping and Vanos faults. It's enough to render a car scrap because the inlet cam ledge is part of the head. Bloody stupid design and it'll get them all eventually. 

I agree. Tis why I've gone back to an M54, just need a thermostat so gonna do the water pump etc too. Also there's a very strange noise that sounds like a hoover at idle, sounds like I've bought my Henry hoover with me haha! It's not affecting driveability though at all, accelerates hard with no issues... Quite a nice motor to drive actually. Happy with this one. 

9 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Steel sealing rings in an alloy housing, Yes, sounds like planned obsolescence to me, and it has been going on for a while, no way in the 1980's and 90's did BM have all these issues with timing chains, and vanos that the modern engines have. Yes/No

3 minutes ago, Steve van hool said:

Steel sealing rings in an alloy housing, Yes, sounds like planned obsolescence to me, and it has been going on for a while, no way in the 1980's and 90's did BM have all these issues with timing chains, and vanos that the modern engines have. Yes/No

Have to say, what you and SARP have said makes sense, the VANOS was a Pita on the N52 I had, and there was a constant noise at the top like there wasn't enough lubrication going around. When I'd cane the car it wouldn't hesitate, but when I drove like I usually drive which is pretty chilled out, it was shocking to drive. I hated it the week before I sold it. Just couldn't do it anymore. 

My e36 M3 used to growl at idle but was checked over by Phil Crouch and it was just what they do  never liked it though!

Did the dealer do a refund / buy back at the price you paid? sounds a decent fella if so!

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

My e36 M3 used to growl at idle but was checked over by Phil Crouch and it was just what they do  never liked it though!

Did the dealer do a refund / buy back at the price you paid? sounds a decent fella if so!

This was just a dodgy idle I think dunc, that coupled with the raspy noise of the motor & odd engine characteristics just done my head in lol. 

I paid £250 for the E46, was listed at the same price as the E90... So didn't do too badly tbh. It needs a thermostat, and good interior detail, blocked drain channels have caused a damp smell, I've cleared the drain channels but clean still needed. My normal detailer can't touch it til mid September...! 

Besides that, I'm happy with her...! 

Hi silestanix! I don't come here so much, now that I don't have a BMW. Nice to see me in the list of remembered people a few posts up!

I loved my 2007 E91 325i Touring and owned it for over 6 years. It was an orange engine light and limp home mode that saw the end of it. It was under (very) extended warranty so the dealer took it in each time. It had coils, LP fuel pump (x2), HP fuel pump, NOX sensor and even a new ECU under warranty but the problem always came back. Although the repairs cost me very little, I was sick to the back teeth of having to change plans to take it in. One day, going up a hill on the M5, the light came on and I said "that's it, you're out of here ...". The light only lasted 6 miles but a few weeks later I was in a 2015 520d Touring!

My postman is also having a load of similar issues with a 4 pot version of the engine. I note that Honest John also points out the list of maladies. It's a pity because the actual oily bits are lovely but there is something up with the sparky bits. As you can see, my technical knowledge has not improved over the years :rolleyes:

Not related to your post but the F11 was not the car for me. It was too big to get round some narrow lanes I frequent and then a run flat exploded due to inner shoulder structural wear brought about by the fact they run rear camber and the shoulder doesn't like stretching beyond 90 degrees. The tread was great at 6mm right across. As I limped it to a tyre a dealer, at 15mph with the inner wall rapidly separating from the rest of the tyre, in Cornwall in the summer blocking everybody up,  I repeated the words "that's it, you're out of here ...". A few weeks later I was in a Golf R estate with normal tyres, a space save spare and Apple Carplay. 11 months and 12,000 miles on and I'm still happy with it! In fairness to the E91, it would have had to go anyway because various life things have changed and I regularly run my more commodious Golf estate packed to the roof.

4 hours ago, Retset said:

Hi silestanix! I don't come here so much, now that I don't have a BMW. Nice to see me in the list of remembered people a few posts up!

I loved my 2007 E91 325i Touring and owned it for over 6 years. It was an orange engine light and limp home mode that saw the end of it. It was under (very) extended warranty so the dealer took it in each time. It had coils, LP fuel pump (x2), HP fuel pump, NOX sensor and even a new ECU under warranty but the problem always came back. Although the repairs cost me very little, I was sick to the back teeth of having to change plans to take it in. One day, going up a hill on the M5, the light came on and I said "that's it, you're out of here ...". The light only lasted 6 miles but a few weeks later I was in a 2015 520d Touring!

My postman is also having a load of similar issues with a 4 pot version of the engine. I note that Honest John also points out the list of maladies. It's a pity because the actual oily bits are lovely but there is something up with the sparky bits. As you can see, my technical knowledge has not improved over the years :rolleyes:

Not related to your post but the F11 was not the car for me. It was too big to get round some narrow lanes I frequent and then a run flat exploded due to inner shoulder structural wear brought about by the fact they run rear camber and the shoulder doesn't like stretching beyond 90 degrees. The tread was great at 6mm right across. As I limped it to a tyre a dealer, at 15mph with the inner wall rapidly separating from the rest of the tyre, in Cornwall in the summer blocking everybody up,  I repeated the words "that's it, you're out of here ...". A few weeks later I was in a Golf R estate with normal tyres, a space save spare and Apple Carplay. 11 months and 12,000 miles on and I'm still happy with it! In fairness to the E91, it would have had to go anyway because various life things have changed and I regularly run my more commodious Golf estate packed to the roof.

Haha, I have a similar set of words when I've had enough of a motor, once I say those words, my family know a car's time is UP! 

I just couldn't be bothered with the issues anymore, if the car drives fine, has power when I expect it, then I'll tolerate the slightly lumpy idle as I did on my Audi. But the E90 had sporadic power delivery which almost got me into trouble a few times. Last Thursday on my way home from work I was in traffic and it's lumpy idle and off key power delivery just... It was enough lol. Was told by Sunday.

The N52 produces more power, but it's yoo technical and they've made a mess of certain things. Couldn't do it anymore. 

The golf R is a great motor...! 

8 hours ago, Retset said:

My postman is also having a load of similar issues with a 4 pot version of the engine. I note that Honest John also points out the list of maladies. It's a pity because the actual oily bits are lovely

The N43. The oily bits are anything but lovely as they are the worst for timing chain issues. I work on a 116i for a guy with one of these heaps. It just decided to start misfiring etc etc and I won't touch these with a  shitty stick as you just end up wasting hours chasing your tail with various real and bogus fault codes. It went to a garage to be diagnosed - one dead injector, as per. I told him to get a decent used one fitted, coded and then get rid of the sodding thing.

One £900 bill later..........and it WILL go tits up again.