Monkeyfinger

Run flat tyre choice

Due to a puncture in one of my rears, it looks like I will need to replace both rear tyres a little earlier than hoped. Currently on 275/35 19 Pirelli P7 run flats - these are slightly eye watering in terms of cost. There's a good saving moving to Falken Azenis, but does anyone have any views or other suggestions? Before anyone asks,  I want to stay with run flats...

Yes crazy expensive. I would never compromise on tyre quality though.

My choice would be Michelin Primacy 3 run flats if price was similar or lower than P7’s

I replaced mine with what was originally supplied, Good Year Asymmetric 3, I got over 30K miles out of first set, then replaced 4 a month or two early as it was winter and got a puncture in one rear writing it off soon after :(

Well, I currently have 2.5mm tread after 20k miles and a very slow puncture on one. Based on that,  it's time to start looking for suitable alternatives. The Falken seem a decent choice with no real performance compromise. 

53 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Well, I currently have 2.5mm tread after 20k miles and a very slow puncture on one. Based on that,  it's time to start looking for suitable alternatives. The Falken seem a decent choice with no real performance compromise. 

Falkens are my next choice, read plenty of good about them, many reviews peg them as top 5 tyres for 2019 

I bought Michelin Primacy 3 in that size in rft flavour from Amazon. Cheapest price by a long shot and its the only tyre in that size and rft that scores A rating for wet braking which is up there as being important characteristics of a tyre.

You can repair some manufacturers of rfts for the record, link below from TIS.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/repair-manuals/36-wheels-with-tyres/2rx7r9o

My old F11 came with Goodyear Excellence RFTs 245/40R19 98Y and Goodyear were the only RFT manufacturer in this size and load rating at the time. Once the G30 came out other manufacturers including Michelin came out with their versions and I decided to give the Michelin Primacy 3 a try - changed both tyres on the rear axle. The Michelins were fine but I never felt the car was as planted and ultimately wished I'd stuck with the Goodyears all round. The problem changing tyres is that no matter how many opinions you get regarding tyres, you won't know the impact until you've spent the money and there's no going back until they wear out.

Has anybody had the Falken’s fitted?

Reviews are good, but I’m worried they won’t have the very large rim protection lip that my current Primacy 3’s have.

Edited by Chris Kay

Isn't Michelin Primacy 3 superseded by 4?.  I need a new set of 4 and thats what I'm going for - they are all the same size fortunately 

The original set of Primacy 3's have only lasted 16,000 miles

16 hours ago, Chris Kay said:

Has anybody had the Falken’s fitted?

Reviews are good, but I’m worried they won’t have the very large rim protection lip that my current Primacy 3’s have.

The Primacy 3 rim protector is quite pronounced on the 275 rear tyre, perhaps even more so than on the 245 width Primacy I have on the front.

I wanted the rim protector as I have powder coated rims and thanks to potholes it has been required and indeed saved my alloys from damage.

Pic of my front tyre with the imprint of the tyre rim protector on my alloy (front).

image.jpg

When searching for tyres, some websites will ask for a rim protection option.

The Falken’s have a rim protector, but what they don’t say is how big.

Years ago I had a Merc on Dunlop SP Sports which had a nice chunky rim protector. Swapped them to Continental Sport Contacts and the rim protector was so small it was useless. I ended up curbing an alloy and it ended up costing me more than I had saved on tyres.