gine39530d

What were you doing when Chernobyl blew up?

On 14/07/2019 at 12:59, nealpina said:

The story is very well written but my criticism which spoilt it for me somewhat are that it lacked the culture and the scenery of that era .  Meaning all the accents were English, and as these were some established actors - they could have had accent lessons.  The scenery was too modern, for example flats too new for Eastern Europe (or at the time USSR).

Tanya actually commented on ho authentic the sets were, the opening scene with the clock, she commented that they had that same clock in their house and the decor of the flats were pretty accurate.. The town of Prypiat was as modern as a Soviet town got, it was built to house workers at the plant and other nuclear based research and it was a prestigious thing to live there.. I think it was better for the actors to use their own accents rather than trying to fake a dodgy Russian/ Ukrainian accent which would make them sound like they were selling insurance..

22 hours ago, Karl said:

Tanya actually commented on ho authentic the sets were, the opening scene with the clock, she commented that they had that same clock in their house and the decor of the flats were pretty accurate.. The town of Prypiat was as modern as a Soviet town got, it was built to house workers at the plant and other nuclear based research and it was a prestigious thing to live there.. I think it was better for the actors to use their own accents rather than trying to fake a dodgy Russian/ Ukrainian accent which would make them sound like they were selling insurance..

Not sure why but I have a thing for flat design.  It was the plastic frames in the windows for the flats.  These will have been metal during that time.  However the rest of the scenery which was set in Lithuania from my limited knowledge was done to a high standard.

I was a fan of the TV series ‘The Americans’ the actors did an excellent job with the Russian accent.  I think I was expecting too much as I was comparing it with this.  I think because of the tight budget it will have taken the accents too long to adapt and the story will never have been told, but I kept on expecting  Sarah Lancashire to appear in her Happy Valley uniform :lol:

Apparently the Russians are making their own version of Chernobyl tv series.  Likely to be called 'Not the fake news Chernobyl tv series' :rolleyes:

Also anyone for Chernobyl Vodka?  Never say never but I doubt I'll try some anytime soon. I wonder if it will glow yellow like Peckham Spring :lol:

The problem with accents is that some characters would have to have a Russian accent, others Ukrainian and the soldiers came from other parts of the Soviet Union.. One was Georgian, I think... There would be always someone who winges about accents.. Yes, the Russians are makeing a true account of what happened... It will probably involve Mad Vlad riding in on a bear and singlehandedly saving the known world..