Captain Beaky

Can Dolly come out to play

18 months tucked away in the back of the garage and back out to play No tax No mot required Fantastic !

55210d27-6e82-4cb3-8637-e7ce57e4961d.thumb.JPG.6e5ba4b1715c8709a3bf091864044925.JPG

What better way to spend the brightest of Saturday afternoons than cleaning down an old friend and polishing those alloys, then out for an evening spin to the pub for some well earned supper and lubrication

IMG_0332.JPG.5691eb54f06551598966708da09ad5e2.JPGIMG_0333.JPG.0289994c44ddce15c23e77ed4b92115c.JPG  

Nice :wub:  I bet it smells like a proper car. 

I don't recall seeing a Dolomite Sprint in that colour. They're mostly yellow. I never drove one but I understand they were quite quick in a straight line but didn't take to braking/cornering too well. 

Mind how you go :D

I'd love a dolly sprint. A mate had a very ropey one at uni which we reshelled into a 1500 I had (though never on the road) sadly he left it too long in a flat car park and it got removed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the MOT front, though it is exempt would you/ do you have it tested?

As an example my 530d gained its MOT but had a couple of advisories i hadn't spotted (that i will attend to) but without a test my worry is little things can deteriorate unnoticed until they become serious?

Or worse some people (not saying yours is) will pull utter shitters out of sheds and just put them on the road....

@duncan-uk....if its stopped by traffic for any reason known to them they can insist it is put thru an MOT station for confirmation its road worthy or if they spot defects make you take it to an MOT centre to say its been rectified and safe again 

But I get what you are saying .. for peace of mind it would be good to know if it would pass or what is perhaps needing doing 

But presumably that's similar to a roadside check when your vehicle is deemed unroadworthy - a mate failed a roadside emissions check years ago despite a valid MOT and was issued a rectification notice or some such.

However that requires policing so whilst MOT's are often a nervy time in older cars i'm not sure why they have been scrapped.

My Dad had a Triumph Dolimite around 1978  was a 1500 twin carb, I think, I  was just a 12 year old whippersnapper back then, the nice thing about it was the human element you could see in its construction, wooden dash, door capping etc.

British cars are the only ones that look good with a wooden dash, Triumph, Jag etc, I have never seen a European car that looked good with a wooden dash, Mercedes for instance, have them and look awful IMO.

21 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

On the MOT front, though it is exempt would you/ do you have it tested?

As an example my 530d gained its MOT but had a couple of advisories i hadn't spotted (that i will attend to) but without a test my worry is little things can deteriorate unnoticed until they become serious?

Or worse some people (not saying yours is) will pull utter shitters out of sheds and just put them on the road....

I don't think exempting cars from an MOT is a good idea and in fact which ever idiot dreamed it up probably pushes pens around a desk, uses a train, a bus or a chauffeur, one thing for sure they know nothing about cars.

However i don't think classic cars should be subjected to current MOT standards,  this has ended up in confrontation in the past for me.

I believe Classic cars should be subject to a roadworthiness test every few years and a classic derived basic mot at a point of sale.

I don't test my cars because i know them inside out as far as the major areas are concerned and as a classic car owner i am proactive with regards maintenance as this maintains the value in the car . Alternatively my wifes 530D touring, the philosophy here as with many everyday cars is don't look at it and fix it when it breaks or fails the test.

But and a very big BUT! the MOT exemption has allowed unscrupulous people a free ticket to sell dangerous cars. I met one chap called Donald and his name was the only british thing about him this year before i bought my Humber Hawk, he was selling a 68  Daimler and my tree house was more roadworthy yet it was on the key, he got it rolling and running.

The thing is I had seen the car and spoken to the seller but he bought the car from under my nose for £2.5k and put it up for sale a week later for £5k. As he was close to one of the clubs i look after i went to see it and made a offer, then outed him! it was a shit show

Personally if mine are not right i don't use them because my kids are in the car, So the Dolly came out last weekend, a quick check over and a clean, so 150 miles later just to get the cobwebs blown out the front brakes are dragging a little and it does not pull up straight, so they are all off cleaned checked exercised, new fluid, joints, bushes, flexi's and lines checked and greased etc, rear drums, adjust the shoes etc, replaced the rear upper trailing arm bushes and she is good to go.

It could do with an engine mounting change and the throttle cable seems tight but i would be lucky to do 1800 miles this year so i'm not overly concerned

but I agree the floodgates for  will pull utter shitters out of sheds and just put them on the road....