Guys

Help needed with dog guards.

I have just bought a BMW 520D (190) SE Touring Step Auto, registered September 2016.  I bought an official dog guard which did not fit (bracket did not allow rear seat to fully engage with the seat bracket).  Dealer tried it with another 2016 car and it did not fit. Dealer thought it was a bad batch.  Bought a genuine BMW F11 dog guard second hand from another dealer who confirmed it fitted in a 2010 and late 2014 car (LCI) but again it did not fit my car.

Dealers and BMW are stumped.

So, any ideas as to why this is the case?

Thanks

Chris, I may have the wrong end of the stick, but don't you have a guard built into the boot cover tube? Or are you after a sturdier version... 

Luckily we did not have to bother with a dog guard with the centre head rest up on the F11 we found there is not enough room, for a medium to large dog getting over the seat, ours is a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, but there is a net guard already built in but we dont use it, most importantly we purchased from Hatchbag the protector to protect the cargo area we also purchased the optional tailgate cover, rear seats top cover,and for when visiting the recycle dump a optional cover which protects the whole rear space when rear seats are folded flat, not cheap but I highly recommend the hatchbag.

https://www.hatchbag.co.uk/bmw-5-series-touring-2010-to-2017

Hi Ceasar and Oilburner

You are right in that the F11 has a flexible netting attached to the retractable load cover. There are three issues with this in that:

1. The load cover has a large rigid flap that sticks into the boot space which is now covered in dog slobber

2. The dog would slobber over the rear seats if I removed the integrated load/netting unit

3. Most importantly, I am not confident that the netting would hold a 30+kg dog in an accident at any combined speed so pushing through into the passenger areas, potentially hurting the dog and passengers

The official BMW dog guard is a metal grill that anchors into the roof recesses and is locked by the rear seat brackets. Much more robust. But for some weird reason does not work with my late 2016 LCI car. Frustrating.

Have a boot tray from BMW but I must say, the hatchbag looks pretty good though.

Chris

You can just purchase the rear top seat cover from Hatchbag when looking on their site its not obvious, but if you look at their video all the optional bits are shown, fortunetly for us our dog is large and weighs 54kg she just lays down and she takes most of the cargo area up, heaven forbid if the vehicle was involved in a accident she would be at the base of the rear seat which is very strong, and their is no way she could come over the rear seat.

What I would suggest in your case you could purchase a full dog harness and secure it to one of the floor tie down latches which would prevent the dog sliding to far, you may also want a tail gate flap to protect the bumper paintwork, and the tail gate cover, I can honestly say our Hatchbag was fitted when the car was new in 2014 and the interior is still just like new and totaly unmarked, and our dog does slobber a lot apart from the occassional wipe out with a damp cloth and clean the rear windows inside thats it, the Hatchbag has easy been the best cargo cover I have ever purchased and to date I have had 5 estates cars now with all with different makes of cargo covers fitted and this is the best.

With a medium to smaller dogs for their own protection and the passengers a full dog harness would make sense even if you have a steel dog guard fitted.

Forgot to mention I did purchase a BMW knock off fully fitted rear cargo matt on ebay it came from Poland inc delivery £30, and apart from a strong smell to the rubber which went after a week or so its been brilliant and has stood up to the dogs to the dog claws, also it has a raised lip round the matt to previent anything spilling over.