stu08

Replacing MAF Intake Upper and Lower Boots

Evening all,

I have decided to replace the MAF intake upper and lower boots. At the same time I am deleting the intake resonator (have a E46 330i upper intake boot to fit).

I have a few questions as I'm halfway through the job (resonator removed and upper intake boot in the bin)

1) There is a plastic ring which fits between both intake boots and a jubilee clamp from each boot is secured to this ring. The ring has a raised ridge, and then a section about 15-20mm cut out of it. What's the reason for this cutout?

2) How, oh bloody how do I get the small jubilee clamp off the elbow of the lower intake

3) As above but for the lower jubilee clamp which attaches the lower boot to the throttle body

The jubilee clamps on the lower intake boot are angled in such a way that I can't access them with my socket and extension - not enough access.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stu 

Get to them with a small screwdriver pal; fiddly but the only way :)

Can you get a picture of the other section you mention; can't think where you mean. But, I think its the piece that just holds them together and the grooves are for the jubilee clips to sit flush...? Maybe?!

1 hour ago, Meat wagon said:

As above use 1/4 drive extensions and flexi drives. It is fiddly but you’ll get there in the end

Yup; I use these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK7342-Extension-AdaPointor-Multicoloured/dp/B000WZF6TS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=IMBLAB39U9K8&keywords=1%2F4+flexible+drive&qid=1560591379&s=gateway&sprefix=1%2F4+flexi%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-5