Lukeskywalker79

E39 525D Touring Front suspension arms replacement

Hi,

Amongst many jobs that I’ve done already and the ones i still need to do on my E39 Touring, I think my front arms, including tie rods and sway bar links, are due for replacement.

I’m hesitant to spend over/around £300 on branded or OE ones on a car of that age and value. So I’ve found few much cheaper options, few that clam they are OE quality and give 12 to 24 months warranty.

My question is, have anyone used those cheaper parts and if they worked ok? 

If its a matter of lifespan of few years versus a decade i still don't mind going for cheaper options.

Thanks for advice,

L

I've seen horror stories of people using cheap parts and them lasting <10k.  I just did front arms.  The tie rods were fine and the sway bar links are cheap so no need.  Sure Meyle was ~£200 IIRC for a full set.

1 hour ago, Lukeskywalker79 said:

Thanks Adam!

where did you get the full Meyle set & other parts please?

I've had more issues with Lemforder than any other make, unfortunately. Thought it was sods law, but it happened on my E38 and first E39 too!

I generally source all my suspension arms via BMWmotormec on eBay; they sell Meyle HD and personally; I always try to stick with them. But, I've used Moog too and they've been faultless and come with a 2-5 year warranty! Your local motorfactors should be able to source them for you, if not,  again you'll get them via eBay

Use RealOEM for your part numbers (type the last 7 digits of your VIN into the box at the top of the page and it'll bring up your exact car) and then work through the diagrams to find your part numbers. Just type that and BMW into eBay and it'll bring up all you need :)

BMWmotormec and C3BMW are very good resellers via eBay; there are others too though, so worth trawling through to find the best prices

Suspension is one area you do not want to skimp on ;) 

Last November I bought A Meyle HD complete front axle track control arm set from Motormec for £157.99. Check that against the price for BMW OE parts!

4 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

BMWmotormec and C3BMW are very good resellers via eBay

BMWmotormec must make a fortune.  Best prices on there and I used him for all of my front arms, rear arms, drop links and ball-joints, wheel bearings.  Rapid delivery, awesome correspondence and best prices on the place.

1 hour ago, adam- said:

BMWmotormec must make a fortune.  Best prices on there and I used him for all of my front arms, rear arms, drop links and ball-joints, wheel bearings.  Rapid delivery, awesome correspondence and best prices on the place.

Yup; I've been singing their praises for a few years now. Been faultless to deal with and if they haven't got it listed, they'll find it for you as best as they can!

I have, unfortunately, had a few things not delivered (courier not BMWmotormec); they sent the replacement out next day, without fail!

Another recommendation for BMWmotormec here - I bought all front control arms, track rods and track rod ends, drop links, and ARB bushes from them (Meyle, and I think the drop links were lemforder. I think...) and they arrived very promptly, and really did not cost all that much relatively speaking. Plus they are always happy to discuss things to make sure you get the right parts. My only issue was when they sent out an expansion tank for a 535i/540i, but they happily refunded without a quibble on return of the part