Dobbo

G30 530i steering rumble

Hi, I have a problem when turning fairly sharply to the right, such as round a mini roundabout. The front left wheel sends a vibration through the car which feels like driving over a rumble strip. It did this a bit when new and had a software update which cleared it but it is now back. It doesn't happen when turnuing left or at speed. BMW service have checked it and its not a safety issue but it is beginning to annoy me.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

1 hour ago, Dobbo said:

Hi, I have a problem when turning fairly sharply to the right, such as round a mini roundabout. The front left wheel sends a vibration through the car which feels like driving over a rumble strip. It did this a bit when new and had a software update which cleared it but it is now back. It doesn't happen when turnuing left or at speed. BMW service have checked it and its not a safety issue but it is beginning to annoy me.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

alignment issue? something is rubbing somewhere. check outer edges of both left and right tyre

2 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

alignment issue? something is rubbing somewhere. check outer edges of both left and right tyre

Both are fine, that's all ready been done. No tyre damage and pressures are correct.

1 hour ago, Dobbo said:

Both are fine, that's all ready been done. No tyre damage and pressures are correct.

That’s very odd. How old is the car?

have the wheels ever been off (maybe some numpty put the rears on the front?) 

what tyres are are you running? Maybe out of spec and touch wider causing rubbing?

control arms been checked? Could also be steering rack? Is the noise speed dependant or will it still rub on full lock and just crawling along (foot of brake, not touching accelerator)?

Sounds like the car needs to be put on a ramp and all the bottom panels removed and the steering inspected with a high intensity inspection light. There have to be some marks or abrasions

Does the Service Dept give you a video of their inspection? 

Hi Dobbo and All

My 520 (2019) has exactly the same problem with right turning, say, going round a roundabout. The problem occurs only when turning right and accelerating at the same time. The 'rumble' effect stops if I take my foot off the accelerator. The dealership have investigated by checking bearings, fitting wheels from a different car, and checking the alignment. Nothing found. Now referred to Germany for a solution. Now waiting.

Hi

I had my G31 520d at the dealer for nearly 6 weeks due to a heavy vibration on my steering which only happened over loose gravel which happened to be my drive way. In the end after trying everything like alignment, lower arms, ball joints, different wheels. They replaced the steering rack, year later no issue.

On 21/02/2021 at 18:58, Alexandria57 said:

Hi Dobbo and All

My 520 (2019) has exactly the same problem with right turning, say, going round a roundabout. The problem occurs only when turning right and accelerating at the same time. The 'rumble' effect stops if I take my foot off the accelerator. The dealership have investigated by checking bearings, fitting wheels from a different car, and checking the alignment. Nothing found. Now referred to Germany for a solution. Now waiting.

Hi Alex

Any resolution to your issue yet? :!:

On 21/02/2021 at 18:58, Alexandria57 said:

Hi Dobbo and All

Hi Alex

Any resolution to your issue yet? :!:

I've had the dealership reprogram all the control units and after that, the issue seems to have subsided. It's been 4 days now I've been testing it under the same conditions as before. 

I'll give feedback if things change.