Sign in to follow this  
Johnyboy

Low coolant warning (G31 540i)

Anyone else had this yet? It's only lost about 500ml at a guess, but it's pretty poor for a 13,000m old car. No sign of mayonnaise so I'm guessing that there's just a little external leak somewhere.

It could do with a wash anyway, so will be on the phone to bmw when I get a chance.

6 hours ago, Johnyboy said:

Anyone else had this yet? It's only lost about 500ml at a guess, but it's pretty poor for a 13,000m old car. No sign of mayonnaise so I'm guessing that there's just a little external leak somewhere.

It could do with a wash anyway, so will be on the phone to bmw when I get a chance.

Have you topped it up before in its 13,000 miles? The need to top up the coolant (once) on the x40i B58 engine is a common complaint. I read a number of people complaining on different forums and checked the level on my 640i and hey presto it was low. I bought a litre of BMW coolant, mixed it with the appropriate amount of water and topped it up. No issues since and that was 3000 miles ago. Be careful with BMW topping it up. I took mine in to BMW for them to top it up and the technician came out with a watering can which I assumed had the correct mixture in it. It was just water so I declined his kind offer, went and bought the coolant and topped it up myself.