Recently my brother has been reporting that his car (virtually identical to mine, a e61 535d, 2008, about 70,000miles) was hanging on to revs before changing gear and that his mpg was down.

This got me thinking of thermostats (I understand that the gearbox control sw hangs on to gears more when engine/box is cold, to help get things warmed up quicker, so hanging on to revs-not warming up-stats!).

We had changed the engine and egr thermostats last year, so I naturally thought of the gearbox heat exchanger and duly fitted the inline thermostat mod.

This seemed to do the trick for a few days. Then the temps dropped a bit, mid 70's.

Ok. I had a spare egr thermostat so thought it a good idea to swap that out, it was a relatively quick job. Unfortunately, the temps remained identical.

Only one left was the engine thermostat. 

So, we got a new one and changed it today.

I was pretty shocked to find that the replacement I fitted last year had broken!

The plastic that holds the thermostat down, on one side has snapped!

20190608_213129.thumb.jpg.59c93b12d1e6cfb4aa6593d2afb9cfa9.jpg

Another pic:

20190608_213245.thumb.jpg.5f9f3a76e9491449a7fae1d8f7fc935b.jpg

The spring pressure is quite strong and over time the plastic must have given up.

I presume the wax part of the stat was ok, but this made things difficult for it to work or it's extended too far and leaked out. 

Either way, with the new stat fitted, the car is again at running temp and gets there quickly. 

The broken stat was a Vernet from eurocarparts. We got a Circoli one this time as it was in stock locally and a bit cheaper! Glad it was different, let's hope this one lasts longer.

If I find the receipt, I'll take it in to see if they'll replace it or give us some money back.

Anyway, sometging else to think of with these bloody things!

It doesn't inspire confidence does it. Nor does the fact that you got an even cheaper one to replace it with. It's done now but I'd be looking for opinions on OEM or other decent brands.

What has become of the missing plastic clip one wonders, where has it made it's new home?

Keliuss

The little pice, it's very small and plastic so not too worried about it. Just hope it's going to be ok. 

Didn't have much choice with the stat really, euro's was the only local place to have one in stock today.

I'm not that convinced with the genuine bmw stuff, their stats don't particularly last long (hence all these problems) and neither do their cam sensors (had one go on the e39 m5 and new one died after 2yrs and 2mnths, about 3000miles of driving!!! Aftermarket one has far outlived the expensive genuine one). 

9 minutes ago, ger said:

I'm not that convinced with the genuine bmw stuff, their stats don't particularly last long (hence all these problems) and neither do their cam sensors (had one go on the e39 m5 and new one died after 2yrs and 2mnths, about 3000miles of driving!!! Aftermarket one has far outlived the expensive genuine one). 

Like said even the original main stats are not perfect but still far better than any of the after market alternatives which virtually all seem to be made in Italy. The originals are made in Austria and no similar after market alternative available.

That s fair enough. If this one gives up maybe I will get a genuine one.

I just wanted to point out that these stats can also break at the housing as well. 

It's about time they made a 'belt and braces' version :)

2 minutes ago, ger said:

It's about time they made a 'belt and braces' version :)

Agreed. Still amazes that all the decades wax element thermostats have been produced they can't make one to last on a M57x engine.

I see this all the time on the Facebook groups, a few times I have stopped people doing the inline mod and convinced them to take the main one out as the cheap ones ECP sell keep snapping in the same place. Circoli also do it.

This pic was the guy who was convinced it would be the gearbox stat as he only fitted it the week before, I had other ideas and it was indeed a Circoli.50580407_284581585562227_6316110035697008640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=09e24fbe0ba627610729e424bc3d3046&oe=5D954BB2

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by GoNz0

2 hours ago, Vauxfan said:

Circoli are the nastiest products out there. 

So very true.

Unfortunately ecp have been selling a lot of unrecognized brands only. Unsure why. But they did get done a while back for selling cheap parts with names brands on them, allegedly. 

In this order, 

1. BMW
  2. Mahle/Behr/Hella

That's what I say to people, if they then want something cheap fitting I don't warranty my work if it comes to replacing it, at least with BMW if you can prove it is faulty yourself you can then book it in and let them do the work for free under warranty.

I would never fit the current poundland specials they offer, Ger you may well be doing it again in a few weeks.

Edited by GoNz0

50 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

In this order, 

1. BMW
  2. Mahle
  3. Behr/Hella

Mahle, Behr and Hella are since August 2018 all part of Mahle Group. These parts are identical. And in this case all the same made in Italy stuff.

Also previous OEM filter manufacturers Hengst and Knecht are all part of Mahle Group.

Edited by Clavurion

Just now, Clavurion said:

Mahle, Behr and Hella are since August 2018 all part of Mahle Group. These parts are identical.

Edited :)

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

In this order, 

1. BMW
  2. Mahle/Behr/Hella

That's what I say to people, if they then want something cheap fitting I don't warranty my work if it comes to replacing it, at least with BMW if you can prove it is faulty yourself you can then book it in and let them do the work for free under warranty.

I would never fit the current poundland specials they offer, Ger you may well be doing it again in a few weeks.

He'll be monitoring the temp closely, I'm certain of that. If anything goes wrong, we'll sort it!

A little update to this story. My brothers car seems to continue to be well behaved, I've got him to monitor his temps regularly with a vgate bluetooth obd thing (goes into low power mode so no need to remove) and bimmertool, which once tapped, will connect and go to the dpf menu automatically (or whatever other menu you choose). I use the same myself. Fingers crossed, it seems the Circoli is holding up ok!

I popped in to work on Thursday and noticed on the return journey that the coolant temperature only reached 54⁰C. My main stat had failed. 

Unfortunately I need to have the car up and running asap, even though I looked around locally I could only get the usual crap from Euro Car Parts. 

Failure was the same, the plastic 'clip' piece had failed leaving the stat insert flapping about, not able to seal. It pained me to have to fit another of the same Vernet brand that will undoubtedly fail again at about its 'end of warranty' period but I couldn't wait for one to arrive. 

I have a feeling that the insert (containing the wax) would last, it's the plastic that fails! If they changed it to a stronger shape, it would probably last ok.

I'll be getting either a genuine or Mahle/Behr one for my own personal 'stock' soon, fed up of this happening. I'll be ready next time!

Oh the fun!

3 hours ago, ger said:

A little update to this story. My brothers car seems to continue to be well behaved, I've got him to monitor his temps regularly with a vgate bluetooth obd thing (goes into low power mode so no need to remove) and bimmertool, which once tapped, will connect and go to the dpf menu automatically (or whatever other menu you choose). I use the same myself. Fingers crossed, it seems the Circoli is holding up ok!

I popped in to work on Thursday and noticed on the return journey that the coolant temperature only reached 54⁰C. My main stat had failed. 

Unfortunately I need to have the car up and running asap, even though I looked around locally I could only get the usual crap from Euro Car Parts. 

Failure was the same, the plastic 'clip' piece had failed leaving the stat insert flapping about, not able to seal. It pained me to have to fit another of the same Vernet brand that will undoubtedly fail again at about its 'end of warranty' period but I couldn't wait for one to arrive. 

I have a feeling that the insert (containing the wax) would last, it's the plastic that fails! If they changed it to a stronger shape, it would probably last ok.

I'll be getting either a genuine or Mahle/Behr one for my own personal 'stock' soon, fed up of this happening. I'll be ready next time!

Oh the fun!

You not got a BMW dealership near?

BMW are usually not bad price wise, infact

I bought mine here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-BMW-Genuine-Water-Pump-Thermostat-Adapter-11517805811/253573286430?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Just went on all the advice of everyone on here to buy original BMW thermostat as lots of discusions on the aftermarket ones failing.

Drop cotswoldbmwmini a message they are main dealers and on here and will sort you a BMW genuine one for around £65 delivered.  Or as others mention local dealers are quick and not badly priced.

Few options but buy BMW ones as it lasts the longest.

4 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

You not got a BMW dealership near?

Not really, its a fair few miles away, too far to get there in time Friday evening unfortunately. 

I'll keep the link from mpgscott though, thank you!