erv77

Stall / Fuel starvation - end of my tether!!

Hi all, e39 530i touring auto - 2001 with 155k. 3k miles ago, engine work included all new coil packs, plugs, rocker cover, vanos seals changed, ICV and MAF cleaned, both cam sensors, check rubber for vac leaks - all good. DISA and CCV replaced a little while back. It ran absolutely amazing after all this work (also changed the entire cooling system).

last few months it started to occasionally take a few tries to start, starter would crank for a bit, then sometimes i'd get a smell of petrol, it was bit hesitant, rough idle, hunted the gears. 3 weeks ago it conked out (in the middle of Normandy!!), fuel pump making some whirring sounds. Fuel pump and fuel filter now changed.

today, back to stalling - intermittently takes a while to crank, starter spinning. In traffic, I release the brake, it pulls and as soon as I touch the throttle pedal, revs dip and it either lunges forward or conks out. I'm going out of mind WFT is it now!!!!!

any help much appreciated,

thanks

20 minutes ago, erv77 said:

both CPS were changed - febi bilstien, just worried in case one of them has failed

Get codes read first

Secondly; for sensors like those, only use OEM BMW; aftermarket ones tend to either fairly quickly or not work at all, unfortunately 

Yeah but febi stuff is supposed to be good! I get the 0171 0174 code and the CPS code occasionally. Hoping there's a clue in the cranking issue followed by petrol smell. I have read up on many posts and have changed all the usually culprits

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Get codes read first

Secondly; for sensors like those, only use OEM BMW; aftermarket ones tend to either fairly quickly or not work at all, unfortunately 

I'm with Dan on the sensor issue; always get OEM.

54 minutes ago, erv77 said:

Yeah but febi stuff is supposed to be good! I get the 0171 0174 code and the CPS code occasionally. Hoping there's a clue in the cranking issue followed by petrol smell. I have read up on many posts and have changed all the usually culprits

For coolant hoses and simple stuff yes, for sensors, OEM all the way... 

Ok cheers, so I have the original cps, and want convinced they were knackered, so let's say I swap them out and still have the same problem, what next??

When it conks out, are you 100% sure the fuel pump is priming when you're cranking it?

I had an intermittent fuel pump relay a while back.

The car died for no reason and then wouldn't start.

I replaced a cam sensor as it had a code present, but turned out it was the relay.

5 hours ago, erv77 said:

I get the 0171 0174 code

Aren't they o2 sensor related, running lean issues.  If you have the original crank sensor then try it to eliminate it as an issue. The symptoms do sound exactly like crank sensor issues, (been there, done that a few times myself).

FWIW I personally disagree with changing out these type sensors as a maintenance item if there was nothing wrong with the original.

Keliuss

Cheers guys, I had changed the CPS as I originally thought the were knackered, had the codes come up. Good shout re the relay, will check that out (once I figure out where it is!)

Not had chance to swap out the CPS yet, but further observation is that this only happens when the car is facing downhill! Unplugged MAF this morning and did a 70mile trip, didn't conk out, although you can feel the subtle difference of it being unplugged! I have INPA on one of my laptops, is this likely to help pin points issue, want avoid throwing new parts at it (anymore!)

On 08/06/2019 at 16:55, sharkfan said:

I'm with Dan on the sensor issue; always get OEM.

Yes me too, I tried some supposedly good new sensors from the same supplier Vauxhall use as OE (only realised that after fixing my nieces car!) but they just didn’t work in the 530i. Got genuine BMW ones & it was perfect. 

On 08/06/2019 at 22:02, Keliuss said:

If you have the original crank sensor then try it to eliminate it as an issue. The symptoms do sound exactly like crank sensor issues

Unfortunately it seems just removing what was a perfectly good sensor can break it, I read that on here somewhere.  Personally speaking I have a big pile of genuine used cam sensors I pulled of spare engines & from cars at the scrappy, non of which worked! 

Fuel pump relay would  intermittently fail on my old E34 535i, difference car admittedly, but that just cut for a second or so, usually when trying to put out of busy junctions! That took a couple of very frustrating years to find...

all sorted now and thanks for the responses - i did go to an indy in the end as didn't want to keep throwing new parts at it (although pretty much had done that anyway!). You were correct and as the indy explained, a febi sensor should work just fine but for some odd reason BMW seem to have engineered it so that only their sensors work. Couple of hundred quid lighter but car runs great now!!

cheers