Pranged RIO today :oops:

Reversing down a tight twisting driveway and seems I’ve caught the the upper edge of the front bumper where it meets the arch ! Under bumper splash guard is history ! Front bumper now out of alignment on pass side by a good 10mm.

Despite a bit of coaxing I cannot get the corner aligned ! (almost like it’s physically pressed up against something)

Does anyone have a pic of what the outside clip/mount looks like so I can see what I’ve broke :-(

Bumper (cover) is fairly intact with no bits broken off but a fresh set of battle scratches down the side.

Pics to follow when I’ve finished crying !

Jack the car up; on axle stands, wheel off, undertray loosened/wheel arch loosened or off and then you'll see clearly how it all clips together.

It's fairly straightforward, but having all the above off/out of the way will make life easier

Thanks for getting back to me Dan.

Beginning to think everyone was asleep !

I’ve been and had a quote now to take it off, fix it and repaint it.

Front bumper repaint has been on the cards for about a year now so I’ve already got my M5 grill and new fogs to go on 8-)

Bloody Sod’s law I already had a spare set of oem splash guards to go on but decided sell these last year :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Front bumper repaint has been on the cards for about a year now so I’ve already got my M5 grill and new fogs to go on 8-)

Bloody Sod’s law I already had a spare set of oem splash guards to go on but decided sell these last year :rolleyes:

Ah well; it was meant to be ;) 

Best to remove the bumper then you can see if the guide is ok on the car and the bumper. 

The guides are a little adjustable, the bumper may have just popped off that bit if you are lucky, but will have to be removed and slid back on to it if that’s the case 

On 09/06/2019 at 12:29, Milo said:

Someone is selling two new splash guards for £200 in the parts section. 

Sorry to jump in on Milos thread, but kinda in the same position myself. Bumper on my sport has been a little out of line on drivers side since I bought the car, finally got time to coming up to jack her up and take a look. BUT... daft question time.

My previous E39s were all missing undertrays, and if I had to jack up the front, did so on one of the supports in the front centre of the car with a trolley jack, and lowered it down onto stands. I think I need the undertray detached from the inside of the bumper to get the bumper off, do I not? Seems like a catch 22 to me - Need the tray off to jack the car up, but do I need the car jacked up to take the tray off? RealOEM hasn't shed much light on this, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

So I guess my questions are - Where is the front undertray attached / where do I need to detach it to get bumper off, and where is a good jacking point at the front with undertrays on?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on this poor undertray noob.

20 minutes ago, Pzero said:

Sorry to jump in on Milos thread, but kinda in the same position myself. Bumper on my sport has been a little out of line on drivers side since I bought the car, finally got time to coming up to jack her up and take a look. BUT... daft question time.

My previous E39s were all missing undertrays, and if I had to jack up the front, did so on one of the supports in the front centre of the car with a trolley jack, and lowered it down onto stands. I think I need the undertray detached from the inside of the bumper to get the bumper off, do I not? Seems like a catch 22 to me - Need the tray off to jack the car up, but do I need the car jacked up to take the tray off? RealOEM hasn't shed much light on this, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

So I guess my questions are - Where is the front undertray attached / where do I need to detach it to get bumper off, and where is a good jacking point at the front with undertrays on?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on this poor undertray noob.

No need to remove undertray just the corner parts. Drive the front wheels on wood blocks first so it's easier to fit a trolley jack under the front subframe lifting point. But at this point there is no need to put it on stands anyway for bumper removal.

Edited by Clavurion

Thanks Clavurion.

Seen youtube vids of bumper removal with the car on the ground, but couldn't figure out how undertray detaches, and not seen it referred to in said videos, presumed that they had already removed it. 

By corner parts, is this front inside of wheel arches, or underneath bumper at either front corner? Sorry, not dealt with trays before!

8 hours ago, Milo said:

He’s referring to these 

My passenger side one is now broken in about 8 pieces !

And don’t ask how much they are from BMW  :shock:

C0-E98322-91-D3-4375-9286-9-C69720-D64-D

There are two of these for sale in the parts section, £200 for the pair. Bargain. I would have had them if I still had my E39

10 hours ago, NWJW said:

Quite, £200 for a couple of bits of plastic seems bloody expensive to me! 

I agree. When you look at these in the flesh you can see that they must have cost literally a few pounds to produce. Cheap moulded plastic with a rubber strip held on with a few pop rivets. 

I would also agree with Ally when he said that the ones in the parts section were a bargain. I'm not sure exactly what BMW are charging for these now as it's been a few years since I had an E39, but I wouldn't mind betting that you'd only be able to get one for £200.