Y15HAL

Car sitting - not doing much....

Good Morning All :)

I recently bought a 535i, and along with this, bought a small car for local driving - dropping kids to school, going gym, shopping etc.....

In light of this, the 535 doesn't really see much use - gets used lightly on the weekends...

Anything in particular i need to do to make sure everything stays good with the car?  Give it a blast if its not been driven for a couple of weeks? 

Thanks in advance...

Vishal

IMO no especially with it being petrol, no chance of EGR or DPF issues with little journeys as it does not have them LOL.

Just enjoy :)

Its a 535i should be being blasted any ways ;)

Mud

1 hour ago, McBeemer said:

You could sell it to me?! Or swap it with my 530d?!

:)

Haha! that's what i've just come from!! Would never go back! :wub:

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

Personally I'd just drive it and get rid of the snotter. I do loads of short trips in my 530i and its fine. Mpg not too bad either. And by short I mean literally a couple of miles.

It's not the short trips i'm worried about, just the lack of driving it........

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

Personally I'd just drive it and get rid of the snotter. I do loads of short trips in my 530i and its fine. Mpg not too bad either. And by short I mean literally a couple of miles.

THIS!

Mine does 12 miles a day 5 days a week, but the way it does those 12 miles is what its all about. :D

I charge the battery twice a year.

No issues.

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

THIS!

Mine does 12 miles a day 5 days a week, but the way it does those 12 miles is what its all about. :D

I charge the battery twice a year.

No issues.

I've done about 12 miles in 3 weeks!!! :o

32 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Did you just buy it to stop someone else buying it? :D

Seeing as they're pretty rare (in good spec), why not! :D 

Get a battery tender ctek type thing. Sell the runabout and put the 535i into regular service.  Sitting about does them no good. You're paying depreciation on two cars for the privilege of not driving the nicer car..  now THAT I'll never understand. 

Mine sits in the garage for most of the winter, and we use the small car for runaround journeys. It comes out in the better summer months and does the long journeys on holidays etc.

I also have the CTEK and it stays plugged in all winter.

4 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

All winter, how do you have it connected up for the long periods of time, via the under bonnet posts or direct on to the battery/chassis via one of the Ctek comfort connections?

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Get a battery tender ctek type thing. Sell the runabout and put the 535i into regular service.  Sitting about does them no good. You're paying depreciation on two cars for the privilege of not driving the nicer car..  now THAT I'll never understand. 

Just hate the thought of driving around town, and not being able to find a parking space, and taking it to supermarkets and getting a load of 'dings'!!

Depreciating on one car really, as the runaround was only £1500 :) 

I'll make sure i try and drive it at least once a week then!!

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^Again, agree with Mike.

Although it depends, is your run around an M140i? 

Remove the 'M', and put that into a 1.4i and you're about right :P 

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Aha! Good question.  I'd assumed it was a yaris or something.

Not as bad, but close enough :P 

Peugeot 207..... :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Mine sits in the garage for most of the winter, and we use the small car for runaround journeys. It comes out in the better summer months and does the long journeys on holidays etc.

Basically what happens to mine, but it will be out all year round, as i don't have a garage :roll:

7 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

All winter, how do you have it connected up for the long periods of time, via the under bonnet posts or direct on to the battery/chassis via one of the Ctek comfort connections?

Hi Andrew, I have permanently attached a lead to the two posts under the bonnet, so, its just a case of connecting it up and plugging it in.

535i + Panda 1.1. 
Like Vishal, I also use the Panda for dodgy city centres or car parks where I'd be worried the BMW would pick up damage or maybe get nicked.
The Panda is a cinch to park and other drivers are happy to let me into traffic.

Each car is perfect for the different jobs they do. I do sometimes think about having a single all rounder, but have not been able to work that one out yet. 
Good point about depreciation but as its a petrol, I think it's now appreciating. 

Yeah but a Panda has a bit more cool factor about it than a Pug! :D

I hope petrols are appreciating but the trade in value (WBAC) of my ULEZ compliant E60 hasn't improved.  Yes the V8 snorter is ULEZ friendly but my dad's 8 year newer 530d, no way.

10 hours ago, Caesar said:

535i + Panda 1.1. 
Like Vishal, I also use the Panda for dodgy city centres or car parks where I'd be worried the BMW would pick up damage or maybe get nicked.
The Panda is a cinch to park and other drivers are happy to let me into traffic.

Each car is perfect for the different jobs they do. I do sometimes think about having a single all rounder, but have not been able to work that one out yet. 
Good point about depreciation but as its a petrol, I think it's now appreciating. 

Literally took the 207 out the other night, parked in a decent spot, if i remember correctly, it was a parent/child spot (i'm used to finding them when i used to own only one car :)), and even then, someone managed to park dodgy and open their door on mine!!! So glad it wasn't the BMW otherwise i'd have been fuming!!! :cry:

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah but a Panda has a bit more cool factor about it than a Pug! :D

I hope petrols are appreciating but the trade in value (WBAC) of my ULEZ compliant E60 hasn't improved.  Yes the V8 snorter is ULEZ friendly but my dad's 8 year newer 530d, no way.

Talking of ULEZ, the BMW got driven into central london a few weeks ago, and to my surprise, they slapped me with 2 tickets (on 2 different days) :angry::shock:

Had to go through the rigmarole of appealing them both, thankfully they overturned them!  I now have to submit proof that my car is in fact ULEZ compliant :wacko:

Funnily, before i bought the car - i checked on their site, and it showed the car was compatible........This has only changed since i put my private number plate on - go figure :huh: