Sign in to follow this  
Turbine

Gearbox truble

I have had a 520i E39 for 12 years that has now knocked up over 243k miles. Last week to oil rad failed and had a new one fitted. after driving it away the car developed a rubbing noise which I can only think is coming from the gearbox. I took the car for a 64 mile run and noted the rev counter increase even though the car is not going any faster.

It has been suggested that the gearbox oil level is low. However, I am struggling to locate a garage in Hayes Bromley who deals with automatic gearboxes.

My question is. A) does this sound correct. B) does anyone know of a garage in Hayes/Bromley area that is able to deal with an automatic transmission.

Any help would be greatly received.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to cars.

Sounds like you need to get yourself to Dartford Transmissions - Give them a call and speak to Martin (think that's his name); he's supposed to be very knowledgeable re the auto boxes on these cars

Best top speak to him rather than get us lot guessing what the issue could be :) 

On 05/06/2019 at 16:28, Turbine said:

I have had a 520i E39 for 12 years that has now knocked up over 243k miles. Last week to oil rad failed and had a new one fitted. after driving it away the car developed a rubbing noise which I can only think is coming from the gearbox. I took the car for a 64 mile run and noted the rev counter increase even though the car is not going any faster.

It has been suggested that the gearbox oil level is low. However, I am struggling to locate a garage in Hayes Bromley who deals with automatic gearboxes.

My question is. A) does this sound correct. B) does anyone know of a garage in Hayes/Bromley area that is able to deal with an automatic transmission.

Any help would be greatly received.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to cars.

How are you getting on with this? Have you had the engine oil level reduced to what it should be?