skullandbiscuits

E39 530d Potential Purchase Advice

I went and quickly saw a lovely Black W Reg 530D SE 145k today, on the way home from work. It's in great condition, clean bodywork and interior, decent jacking points & arches with a few nice factory sports options; Style 32's, Shadowline, Sport Suspension & Steering wheel.  2 previous owners, 2 keys and a fully stamped service book, adn a very good MOT histroy. Very nice indeed, I have booked in a test drive this week.

Now the bad points:

The dealer hasn't got the greatest reputation, bad reviews from multiple businesses.

Very limited paperwork, V5 logbook present , couple of MOT papers and a full owenrs manual with full service book.

W Reg,  so slighly older than what I was looking for. 

I would like this to replace my current E46 330d, as my daily and needs to be relaible enough for 90miles commute 4 days a week.  If it wasn't for the for the dealer, I would have bought it. I know what to expect from a E39, but I am unsure about the seller. Beneift of the doubt? 

Edited by Skull & Biscuits

I'd say double check the car, and if it's as good as you say do the best deal you can and don't expect too much goodwill from the dealer. With a car of that vintage you usually have to buy on a combination of condition and gut feeling!  Good luck!  :)

IMO if the dealer has a bad rep & it’s easily findable too... Walk away & look at other motors

Buy with your brain, not your heart 

I dunno.. even if the dealer has a rotten rep, it's unlikely he's got anything to hide on an old E39 really.. the cost of any bodgy repairs or hiding anything would add up to more than just selling the car "as is", so given the history etc and the overall condition, the car sounds worth considering IMHO.

Reliability wouldn't necessarily concern me.. I've been smoking around in a leggy 530d touring now for two years and it's been very reliable.. I've even took it on a trip across to Germany with no concern. There's a few common weak points on these motors but most can be addressed fairly easily and they can go on to absolutely galactic mileage. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Thanks for the comments guys. My gut feeling is the dealer doesn’t really understand the car he has, it’s just another old BMW PX for him.

Ive owned a 530d sport touring last year and it felt bullet proof even at 200k.

Hopefully a deal can be done.

Good luck. I would go for it if you can negotiate a good price. There seems to be enough evidence that it hasn't been clocked and the overall condition sounds good.

Edited by stevecvo
word missing

I paid €650 for a 530d touring 193k miles. Now at 202k. Only repairs were 1 tyre and plastic coolant flange under manifold. I got it in a hurry as the engine in my E61 seized at 146k.

If the body is sound, everything else is comparably cheap to fix. Gearbox (assuming auto) and turbo are the next most expensive to fix, and they're easy enough to test.

Hope you've found a good one!

Test drive booked for tomorrow. I’ve run the vin through a decoder and it’s coming out as the latter 3.0d 193bhp, but the registration is March 2000, which I thought was 2.9 181bhp.

It’s gotta be a pre-facelift but I recall seeing facelift lights and grill, perhaps a retrofit......

I had a Feb 2000, that was pre facelift. Have a feeling that was one of the last. 

Easy to check if it has OBD-II under the dash, or the round connector under the bonnet.

Took it out for a test drive yesterday, everything was spot on.

I've done a bit of digging, and it’s a SE sport package, wasn’t that an edition runout before LCI models? It should be end of the preface lift, but has all the face light features and the latter engine.

Picking up the car during the week :-)

IIRC there were SE's and then Sport

Could be that it was spec'd up at factory etc

Worth looking on a VIN decoder to see what the spec was from factory 

I read a few threads about SE’s with the sport package option. I understand it was the sport option without the body kit.

The Vin was the first thing I checked. 

*Style 32

*Shadowline

*Sport Seats

*Sport Suspension

*Sport Steering Wheel

Really looking forward to getting it now. I should have never sold my 530d sport touring at the start of the year.

I will be a nice addition to the E39 535i sport 

Pretty much as you say... I have this very same option on my saloon. It's an SE but with the 'Sport' upgrade which has the things you specify on that list. There's a letter in the history file confirming exactly as such.. see attached!

bmw_letter.jpg

Though in my case the wheels are not Style 32's but Style 49's which I think is correct for option code 267. 

Edited by chicaneuk

On 02/06/2019 at 17:51, chicaneuk said:

Pretty much as you say... I have this very same option on my saloon. It's an SE but with the 'Sport' upgrade which has the things you specify on that list. There's a letter in the history file confirming exactly as such.. see attached!

bmw_letter.jpg

Though in my case the wheels are not Style 32's but Style 49's which I think is correct for option code 267. 

Ooh, I recognise that piece of paper!